Lightyear (Pixar) | Inside Universal Forums

Lightyear (Pixar)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Nov 23, 2013
Seattle, WA!
Disney and Pixar will be going forward with a full length spinoff of Toy Story, based on Buzz Lightyear! And to differ things up, America's ass is about to become the galaxy's ass; as Chris Evans is playing Buzz.

I immediately am smelling overlays to the Buzz Lightyear shooters in Tomorrowland. Like, instantly.

• Angry
Reactions: TheGentTrent
I know some people won't like that Tim Allen is being replaced (although Chris Evans has an insanely similar voice) or that it's more Toy Story, but I was really intrigued by how the project was presented. I never thought about Buzz in the context of where he came from or why he was so popular, so I think it'll be potentially fun little film. I'm at least willing to wait to see a trailer. Everyone prematurely said TS4 was a bad idea (and I was one of them) and it turned out to be great ending for Woody and Buzz (whereas TS3 was a great ending for Andy).

Reactions: AlexanderMBush
I know some people won't like that Tim Allen is being replaced (although Chris Evans has an insanely similar voice) or that it's more Toy Story, but I was really intrigued by how the project was presented. I never thought about Buzz in the context of where he came from or why he was so popular, so I think it'll be potentially fun little film. I'm at least willing to wait to see a trailer. Everyone prematurely said TS4 was a bad idea (and I was one of them) and it turned out to be great ending for Woody and Buzz (whereas TS3 was a great ending for Andy).

What makes me..albeit curious, is that this already has been done:

in TV and animated film format for VHS and Disney Channel back in the 90's. I am curious to see what they draw from the old shows of back then, along with carving an "origin" story for Buzz and Zurg.

What makes me..albeit curious, is that this already has been done:

in TV and animated film format for VHS and Disney Channel back in the 90's. I am curious to see what they draw from the old shows of back then, along with carving an "origin" story for Buzz and Zurg.
I guess I never saw that show, so I didn't even know that. I wonder if they consider that canon or not? I assume so.

I mean I'm not against this but confused....why isn't Tim Allen doing this? Second why did we have a TV show that was not bad and then pretend like it never happened?

Like why not say it's a reboot instead of pretending the original Buzz wasn't a thing...the real good that comes out of this is maybe they finally make the Buzz rides not crap and more interactive and improve the tech to not feel like its 30 years old.

I mean I'm not against this but confused....why isn't Tim Allen doing this? Second why did we have a TV show that was not bad and then pretend like it never happened?

Like why not say it's a reboot instead of pretending the original Buzz wasn't a thing...the real good that comes out of this is maybe they finally make the Buzz rides not crap and more interactive and improve the tech to not feel like its 30 years old.
I can't think of a legit story reason why they would switch from Tim Allen, so maybe it was a money/contract thing and they decided if they were going to pay someone as much money as Allen wanted they wanted a bigger name to advertise?

I can't think of a legit story reason why they would switch from Tim Allen, so maybe it was a money/contract thing and they decided if they were going to pay someone as much money as Allen wanted they wanted a bigger name to advertise?
It kinda sucks if true, Allen even in the 4th film (which yeah the writers sucked and didn't do any characters but Woody Justice) he gave it his all and really think it sucks to not let him lead this. Like how many people are going to see this film because of Evans? It's an animated movie by Disney you don't need star power any more.

To argue something, an it's.. something I've thought about: what if this is Disney's way of doing toy generations: in a similar way to how Hasbro revamps their toylines after periods of time? Transformers and MLP have been quite famous for the concept of generational leaps in the toy markets.

Out of all the toys in Toy Story; Buzz would be the easiest to do a generation leap for.

My first thought during Toy Story 4 was they paid Tim Allen by the word. He honestly doesn’t say much in that movie.

Last edited:
My firth thought during Toy Story 4 was they paid Tim Allen by the word. He honestly doesn’t say much in that movie.
That’s something interesting to think about that Allen potentially getting recast because of drama during TS4.

Ah! Looks like this is the reason. This is not Toy Buzz.

Reactions: Nico

So, I'm not nitpicking I'm just curious, the world of Toy Story had a space hero who travelled through the stars and found alien life? Or is this a movie/show in the Toy Story world that people liked and they made a toy of it?

Either way, the animation looks really nice to me.

From what I recall them saying is Buzz is based on a real life hero and they created the Buzz Lightyear Figure and all the related stuff to it

For context:

That much we knew, of course, as buzz has been building ever since Lightyear was first announced as part of The Walt Disney Company’s Investor Day event in December 2020. The idea for the film, however, dates back to the very first Toy Story. As Pete Docter, Pixar Animation Studios’ Chief Creative Officer, explained during the Investor Day presentation, Buzz had always been inspired by a character from an epic blockbuster film. It just wasn’t until the last few years, however, that Pixar decided to bring that story to the big screen.

“Buzz, as a character, I’ve always been pretty close to as a fan—mostly because of his overlap into the sci-fi genre,” MacLane said. “I’ve always wanted to know about Buzz.” As fate would have it, he’d get the opportunity to pitch his idea for Lightyear: “I said, ‘Maybe there was a movie starring Buzz Lightyear, and that’s what Andy saw that made him want a Buzz Lightyear action figure. Why don’t we just make that movie—and make it awesome?’”

Speaking of making things “awesome,” it’s clear from the trailer that Lightyear has a different aesthetic than the other Toy Story features and shorts. “There’s a very specific cinematography aesthetic I was chasing, which is a lot of chiaroscuro—a lot of light and dark,” MacLane said. “I also wanted to make the world feel really tactile and chunky. There’s a lot of different sci-fi design aesthetics, but especially in that era that, the ships and the materials were very chunky and the industrial design for them was really robust.”

Honest take: I think this looks stunning. Absolutely stunning. Cinematography is very different, as is the tone. Really hope the second trailer gives more dialogue though, as I really want to see what Zurg properly looks like.

From a few posts above. This is not Toy Buzz, this is the "real" Buzz Lightyear tht the toy is based on.

Looks fine

I think Pixar is just never good at Trailers...like Up to me look meh...loved it. Was confused why they were making Toy Story 3....loved it. So while I have zero hype for this I'm sure it will be good

I'm more interested in the version of this film that's a fantastical version of The Right Stuff than the version of the film where he's fighting Zurg. The science and military comradery angle seems more intriguing than a battle against evil robots.