M&G Coming to Epcot's Entry Plaza | Inside Universal Forums

M&G Coming to Epcot's Entry Plaza

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Jul 16, 2009
30 Rock
Epcylcopedia posted today that a permit filed by Imagineers calls for a meet and greet area located in the entry plaza.

Disney’s Imagineers filed permit today to add a character meet and greet space to Epcot. Specifically, it’s in at 1510 Avenue of the Stars. If you own a copy of The Epcot Explorer’s Encyclopedia then you’re privy to know that’s the front entry plaza, and specifically the former Cast Services/kennel/ATM building on the east side of the entry plaza.

No further details have been released at this time, but the permit identifies the location as “Front of Park “Meet and Greet.”

.....Yeah I'll be up I-4 where they make rides instead. :wave:

Epcot is revamping Test Track and MK is making two new rides as well, for what it's worth. I don't mind new meet and greet locations (they're abundant because they're popular) but I hope it's not just a new Duffy area or some crap. Perhaps Phineas and Ferb?

Epcot is revamping Test Track and MK is making two new rides as well, for what it's worth. I don't mind new meet and greet locations (they're abundant because they're popular) but I hope it's not just a new Duffy area or some crap. Perhaps Phineas and Ferb?

I know Test Track is gonna be awesome. It's my favorite ride at Disney, even though it's been years since I went to DHS and never been to DAK. Here's the thing. When I planned my trip to Orlando this year, I didn't even bother looking at Disney since it's way overpriced and Test Track is down until the end of the year. There just wasn't many reasons to go to Disney this year, unlike Universal where there were a ton of reasons to go. When Disney finally decides on building that Monsters Inc. coaster, then I will look into it, but right now there is nothing that excites me at Disney. Not even Fantasyland will excite me.

So, did the management meeting go something like this:

Imagineer 1: "We have plans to fix Imagination and bring Universe of Energy into the 21st Century."

Imagineer 2: "We also have plans for a new country with an E ticket ride."

Danny-Boy: "No plans for new merchandise stands or dining experiences?"

Imagineer 2: "Well, with the new country there will be a new dining experience and a merchandise shop or two."

Danny-Boy: "Nah, let's just go with another meet and greet. But keep working on those new dining experiences. Remember, it isn't about guest satisfaction, it is about the bottom line and my huge bonus check!"

Imagineers: "Sigh, creativity stunted again."

Imagineer 1: "We have plans to fix Imagination and bring Universe of Energy into the 21st Century."

Imagineer 2: "Well, with the new country there will be a new dining experience and a merchandise shop or two."

Danny-Boy: "Nah, let's just go with another meet and greet. But keep working on those new dining experiences. Remember, it isn't about guest satisfaction, it is about the bottom line and my huge bonus check!"

I think that sounds about right.

I think to bust on Dan for adding new dining options is not seeing the big picture. Since Epcot IS the dining park, and Disney seems intent of giving free dining to so many hotel guests, Epcot was really hurting for available tables. So the additional dining was necessary. And I am sure Dan would LOVE new attractions in his park. But TDO HATES building attractions. It's a shame DVC wouldn't fix the place because TDO LOVES building DVC.

So they're putting this outside the gates? That doesn't make any sense at all...

The kennel/ATM building are entirely outside the gates (and security). The backstage areas of the adjoining buildings all house critical infrastructure/offices/CM facilities. Unless they mean they're moving those things to the kennel building and using the reclaimed space for a M&G, but it is still outside the park gates.

that really sounds about right some people just dont care about the tourists or park guests anymore.

Last edited:
Epcyclopedia has followed up their original article by posting about more paperwork Disney filed regarding the M&G's location and opening date.

Disney previously filed paperwork indicating a new Disney character meet and greet would soon be installed at the front entrance of the park. Today they filed more detailed paperwork with a better indication of the intended location of the new meet and greet. It will be taking over the covered alcove on the west side of the entrance plaza that was previous home to the Leave a Legacy sales kiosk and is currently used as a guest research outpost and at times a character meet/greet location but with no formal backdrop or queue. This project is scheduled to be completed by April of 2013.

iby4wboUJ6sQJo.jpg