Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Magic Kingdom Security Moves to TTC

Anybody have any photos of the change? Or been there since?

The railings for the tram queues were just moved out into the road 10 - 20 feet. As of now uncovered, not sure if permanent. The white roof that used to cover them was just empty space this week, but I assume will look like EPCOT security. It feels odd, but a new pavilion over queues would help, and I'm glad to reclaim the front of MK.

My question is the numerous people who walk to TTC. Will there be a side check by the gift shop?

Supposedly everyone will have to funnel into the middle from the bus platform on one side and the Poly on the other. Security will be under the old tram roofs from what I understand.

I just think tomorrow morning would be a good day to avoid going to MK (at least during the morning rush) because it will probably be a cluster F of growing pains trying to figure things out.

So the transition went much better than I could have imagined. Everything seemed to run smoothly from what I've heard and saw.

Here's quite a few pics from Blog Mickey. It gives a great overview of all of the changes. The fences being taken down to funnel everyone through security at MK is easily the best part about this imo.

PHOTOS - Magic Kingdom security checkpoints move to the Transportation & Ticket Center and resorts - Blog Mickey
Security for Monorail and Ferry at the TTC. If you walk from your car, you will be directed here.
MagicKingdom-NewBagCheck-04032017-5.jpg

MagicKingdom-NewBagCheck-04032017-8.jpg

New security coming from buses:
MagicKingdom-NewBagCheck-04032017-12.jpg

Fences gone coming from buses...
MagicKingdom-NewBagCheck-04032017-11.jpg

...and off of the monorail (feel free to turn left!)
MagicKingdom-NewBagCheck-04032017-7.jpg

Soon to be removed
MagicKingdom-NewBagCheck-04032017-10.jpg

So the actual tram loading area is no longer under cover? Oh that will be fun during rainstorms... everyone will run to the security area and block it.

In 6 months I assume everything will feel "normal."
I certainly don't know a timeline, but that's probably about right. I know some work at the Epcot entrance is due.

Note: If you go from Epcot to TTC/MK, you only need to go through bag check once. If you go from TTC to Epcot, you need to go through bag check Twice - Once when you enter TTC and once when you get to Epcot.

Due to where the Epcot monorail exit leaves you, you are no longer in the "Safe Zone", despite already having been checked.

Wow, Disney is so themed on every part of their property. :tongue:

Here's quite a few pics from Blog Mickey. It gives a great overview of all of the changes. The fences being taken down to funnel everyone through security at MK is easily the best part about this imo.

PHOTOS - Magic Kingdom security checkpoints move to the Transportation & Ticket Center and resorts - Blog Mickey
Security for Monorail and Ferry at the TTC. If you walk from your car, you will be directed here.
MagicKingdom-NewBagCheck-04032017-5.jpg

MagicKingdom-NewBagCheck-04032017-8.jpg

New security coming from buses:
MagicKingdom-NewBagCheck-04032017-12.jpg

Fences gone coming from buses...
MagicKingdom-NewBagCheck-04032017-11.jpg

...and off of the monorail (feel free to turn left!)
MagicKingdom-NewBagCheck-04032017-7.jpg

Soon to be removed
MagicKingdom-NewBagCheck-04032017-10.jpg

I saw a few conservative news sites (that I won't name), had this story of new security procedures at Disney, and tried to spin it as increased security, as if they are expecting a terrorist attack or something. Disgusting.

I'm a big fan of this new setup. The old one was much too cluttered
My thing is "do it right." If it's important for you to move all of this security away from the front of the park, which I think is a good idea, then plan and execute it properly. This looks like amateur hour at the Magic Kingdom. I understand last year the parks were all responding to credible threats and things had to go up on a temporary basis. But this was not an urgent thing. If they made it through Christmas they could have made it through Spring Break until a more permanent solution could have been built. Just my opinion though.

My thing is "do it right." If it's important for you to move all of this security away from the front of the park, which I think is a good idea, then plan and execute it properly. This looks like amateur hour at the Magic Kingdom. I understand last year the parks were all responding to credible threats and things had to go up on a temporary basis. But this was not an urgent thing. If they made it through Christmas they could have made it through Spring Break until a more permanent solution could have been built. Just my opinion though.

Did I miss a bunch of "this was a total disaster" posts? It seems to have gotten off the ground rather well.

The only criticism I have of it is it took so long, it's still very impermanent (though they spent a long time and tons of money doing it), and they still don't send everyone through the magnetometers like Universal and SeaWorld do. That and I'm surprised they didn't get the X-ray machines for the bags like Universal has. That makes the process much faster and more thorough.

Overall, it's a HUGE improvement and I know it's still a work in progress but they've been doing bag checks for almost 16 years now and had this enhanced screening for almost a year and a half. You'd think they would have it a little more down pat by now. Especially when you look at Universal's screening procedures and what they have set up.

My biggest issue with the whole set up is how they are handling the Contemporary. It's insanely cluttered with checks at both the escalator AND elevator and all of this makes the lobby look like the lobby right before the TSA check at Orlando International. I hope they can find a better way to do this.

xFPQ7bz.jpg

Got to try out the new setup this weekend. We took a bus from DS to the Poly to visit Trader Sams (LOVED IT), and then took the resort monorail back to MK to get to the resort buses. Security check at Poly was super quick and we were on our way to MK plaza and busses in no time. So nice to see the entry plaza to MK uncluttered.

I wouldn't be surprised if the old bag check shelters in front of the park are moved to be used for buses only now, like to replace the current temporary shelter.