Marvel Studios’ What If...? | Inside Universal Forums

Marvel Studios’ What If...?

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
There will be 9 episodes in both Season 1 & 2 according to a comment from Brad Winderbaum, who's an EP on the project. Originally there was to be 10 episodes in Season 1, but they had to push one back into Season 2 due to COVID. That of course leaves me wondering why there was only going to be 8 episodes in the second season, but I digress. :lol:

Here's the quote:
"We had to push an episode into Season 2. It was just, honestly, like everything else, that was a COVID impact. There was an episode that just wouldn't hit the completion date, but luckily we do get to see it in the second season of the show. Season 2 will also be 9.

"We targeted a half an hour for each episode. Some of them come in a little longer, some of them come in a little shorter. We wanted to tell as many stories as we could and we had a certain budget we had to work with so it felt like that 10-episode — now 9-episode run — was the right quantity."

A thought in me occurs. Perhaps it's possible they did the recordings for all the episodes at once? That could lead the door open for Chadwick to be playing T'challa for multiple episodes across the two seasons.

A thought in me occurs. Perhaps it's possible they did the recordings for all the episodes at once? That could lead the door open for Chadwick to be playing T'challa for multiple episodes across the two seasons.
Ehh.... it's possible. I wouldn't count on it though. Especially with what this article specifically saying his "final performance" will be in episode 2.

Reactions: AlexanderMBush
Wow I thought the first episode was pretty terrible. The animation is unique, but the dialogue/voice acting is horribly stilted. The “best of” highlights/plot beats format is manic and has zero focus.

The Multiverse is a cool concept and I’m onboard with what the MCU does in their live action entries, but simply doing a plug-and-play approach for past stories to introduce the concept isn’t particularly interesting other than saying “oh yeah I remember that, but it’s different or reversed this time!”

There was absolutely no emotional impact showing Peggy’s story in a 30 minute crunch, when it’s clear they wanted to achieve that heartfelt relevance.

Last edited:
Reactions: SeventyOne
Interesting concept and way to further introduce the multiverse past Loki. It has a Twilight Zone feel to me and is an interesting one-off for various alternate timelines. Felt a little short for me as it hit a few major plot points and abruptly ended. Again, since these are encapsulated, stand alone stories, I thought they could do more with them with some additional time allotment. Good show, but not great.

My major gripe comes down to runtime. They need more than 30 minutes for this to work; as I wish they could've had a bit more time to pad out what happens (as it feels like you are going on autopilot). Some of the beats are fine, mellow. And you can definitely tell for a few of them the border between acting in-front of a camera and in-front of a mic is going to be weird.

Admittedly; the highlight of the episode was Josh Keaton as Steve. He has the experience of voice acting and knowing how quick things can go; as I am hopeful he plays Spider-Man later on. This isn't going to be something that to me, feels like it should be for everyone to see. But for now, I don't mind it.

Reactions: HalfGlass
My major gripe comes down to runtime. They need more than 30 minutes for this to work; as I wish they could've had a bit more time to pad out what happens (as it feels like you are going on autopilot). Some of the beats are fine, mellow. And you can definitely tell for a few of them the border between acting in-front of a camera and in-front of a mic is going to be weird.

Admittedly; the highlight of the episode was Josh Keaton as Steve. He has the experience of voice acting and knowing how quick things can go; as I am hopeful he plays Spider-Man later on. This isn't going to be something that to me, feels like it should be for everyone to see. But for now, I don't mind it.
My guess is while the show will be liked it will need a season 2 to really start trying things

The MCU first 5 films only Ironman and Avengers really work, sure captain America has some good parts but it also is dragged done by writers still not ready to try things yet.

I guess we need a break but sucks with Bad Batch ending we don't have any "must" see shows. I'm sure what if will do fine number wise but hope next year we have some more shows doubling up so we don't have downtime like this when the next big show is in November

Reactions: Yabbadabba Doh
Watched Episode 1, I agree with reviews. Its good but not amazing

Like the animation and action but something about this was still missing to make it amazing. Voice work was all over the place Bucky felt off, but Captain Carter was great.

Reactions: SeventyOne
I enjoyed the episode, but agree it was just okay. My expectations for the Captain Carter episode actually wasn't that high to begin with, so that helped. I feel like this was just supposed to be the one small thing that started the multiverse events and then we're gonna start seeing things get a lot crazier as the show goes on. At least I hope.

Hell, it may even take into Season 2 for them to work out the kinks, much like with The Clone Wars.

Watched Episode 1, I agree with reviews. Its good but not amazing

Like the animation and action but something about this was still missing to make it amazing. Voice work was all over the place Bucky felt off, but Captain Carter was great.
The weird thing is Sebastian Stan voiced Bucky in the episode and he sounded off, but Josh Keaton is credited as the voice of Steve Rodgers and sounds wayyyy more like Chris Evans than Sebastian Stan sounded like himself (as Bucky).

I enjoyed the episode, but agree it was just okay. My expectations for the Captain Carter episode actually wasn't that high to begin with, so that helped. I feel like this was just supposed to be the one small thing that started the multiverse events and then we're gonna start seeing things get a lot crazier as the show goes on. At least I hope.

Hell, it may even take into Season 2 for them to work out the kinks, much like with The Clone Wars.

The weird thing is Sebastian Stan voiced Bucky in the episode and he sounded off, but Josh Keaton is credited as the voice of Steve Rodgers and sounds wayyyy more like Chris Evans than Sebastian Stan sounded like himself (as Bucky).
I could tell Sebastian was playing Bucky but it was by far the worst acting he’s ever done in the marvel films

which is weirdbe the killed it in winter Solider and falcon

Voice acting is a different process from acting in front of a camera. I imagine some of these headliners might be more or less out of their comfort zone, especially with these specific characters that have only ever been played in live action for over a decade.

Voice acting is a different process from acting in front of a camera. I imagine some of these headliners might be more or less out of their comfort zone, especially with these specific characters that have only ever been played in live action for over a decade.
Sure but this is why you have directors and acting couches. This is the MCU, and confused you would allow any project to suffer any kinda acting flaws at this point. Its been a while since we have had bad acting in the MCU

Sure but this is why you have directors and acting couches. This is the MCU, and confused you would allow any project to suffer any kinda acting flaws at this point. Its been a while since we have had bad acting in the MCU

I agree with Ga-mbit on this one. It's one thing to have acting instructors and voice directors do things; but for the most part; the cast as a whole (Excluding select cases) will be completely entering into uncharted territory on how to handle their voice; especially in something as varied and complex as animation. And that with this also being Marvel Studio's first time doing an animated project proper; that they're likely going to have issues no matter what angle.

I suspect Season 2 will be a step above atleast in some regards; as some of the actors that will come back will have the experience. And for this season; there's a reason to why I am excited for episodes like Hiddleston and Benedict's; because they have had full on experience in the voiceover industry.

Watched Episode 1. Eh… EHHHHH. My major gripe is that it didn’t use the “What if” story to its potential; it just basically recreated the exact same beats of the Captain America: The First Avenger; only difference is that the “supposed dead friend” doesn’t go full on Winter Soldier and the tentacle monster fight. Also I guess the ANIMATION is good but I hate the art style they used for this.

Watched Episode 1. Eh… EHHHHH. My major gripe is that it didn’t use the “What if” story to its potential; it just basically recreated the exact same beats of the Captain America: The First Avenger; only difference is that the “supposed dead friend” doesn’t go full on Winter Soldier and the tentacle monster fight. Also I guess the ANIMATION is good but I hate the art style they used for this.
I've heard episode 2 & 3 are a lot better, but to me, i'm really looking forward to the Marvel Zombies episode.

This episode was MUCH better. Wasn’t just a play by play of GotG with some twists like the Captain Carter episode one with The First avenger. This episode goes all in on what the concept of this show can and should be. I think starting the series off with that Captain Carter episode was a misstep tbh.