Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Mickey and Minnie’s Runaway Railway (DHS)

The GMR vehicles are being scrapped as is the current "trackless" floor. The only thing to remain in that building will be the surrounding walls.

Martin said just the other day that only 5-10% of the building will go unused and i'm inclined to believe him over Hill. I mean, Hill just got the scoop on the cut third Bantha ride. Mice Chat had that a year ago. A flipping YEAR!

Len hates when I bring it up, but when I questioned why we included him in the fact-based Unofficial Guide (I was fact checking a section and found a Hill blurb with nothing to support his crazy claim) the response was "Jim Hill provides color commentary for entertainment purposes and is not part of the factual portion of the Guide."

Just to pile on, been told that not only are there new ride vehicles, they've already been tested after hours along the current track. (Didn't take that to mean current track staying, more just seeing how they run on the floor, but I didn't follow up.) So small enough to be fairly moveable--can take one in and out overnight.

Len hates when I bring it up, but when I questioned why we included him in the fact-based Unofficial Guide (I was fact checking a section and found a Hill blurb with nothing to support his crazy claim) the response was "Jim Hill provides color commentary for entertainment purposes and is not part of the factual portion of the Guide."
That probably sums him up best. Laugh at but don't quote him. :):lol:

Guys, semi off topic, but looking through my daily tshirt website, I came across this shirt they are selling. Pretty sweet if you ask me for anyone who will miss the GMR.

teepublic_ready-when-you-are-cb_1500961203.full.png

Ready When You Are, CB from TeePublic | Day of the Shirt

Just to pile on, been told that not only are there new ride vehicles, they've already been tested after hours along the current track. (Didn't take that to mean current track staying, more just seeing how they run on the floor, but I didn't follow up.) So small enough to be fairly moveable--can take one in and out overnight.

That may be where confusion is coming from: if they're doing testing inside the ride, one may think otherwise. So in short, the ride is using the same "track", ergo, the same floor.

Has anybody reached out to Martin about this?

Yeah definitely different vehicles. Sort of like all of the other LPS rides in that the RV will only seat 6 people or so, but the RV will be different from the puck shaped vehicle of most other LPS rides, much like how the Battle Escape vehicle is more square.

Since we're supposed to be riding in Goofy's train, i'd expect something similar, but i'd only be guessing.

You're supposed to be on Goofy's train.

How that works? No idea.

Sort of like all of the other LPS rides in that the RV will only seat 6 people or so, but the RV will be different from the puck shaped vehicle of most other LPS rides, much like how the Battle Escape vehicle is more square.

Hopefully this means a group of RVs all leave the station together, in line, and then some Goofy antics happen and all the train cars separate and we spend the ride trying to get the train back together again. I think that would prove to be a very fun use of tech and fit into a MM cartoon nicely

I'll be in WDW from 8/9-14 and will definitely be taking a last ride on this.... GMR is a classic and one of my "must rides" when I visit DHS. Hate to see it go, but I am hopeful that what is replacing it will be a new, groundbreaking experience.

Sad I won't be able to be there today to say goodbye to one great ride!

I'm setting aside some time later to watch Martin's Ultimate Tribute video. I know others don't feel this way, but I still maintain that axing The Great Movie Ride - even if Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway ends up being great - is a big loss both for the park and for classic dark ride fans in general.

I'm setting aside some time later to watch Martin's Ultimate Tribute video. I know others don't feel this way, but I still maintain that axing The Great Movie Ride - even if Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway ends up being great - is a big loss both for the park and for classic dark ride fans in general.
It's a big loss yes, but realistically, do you actually think Disney was ever going to update the ride? I mean, even with a new sponsor that put a decent amount of money into the attraction back in 2015, the AA's didn't get updated. And they likely never were going to be updated.

I'd rather see the ride go out as is than watch it decay to a state that is beyond repair like UoE has. I'm just being realistic.