Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Mickey and Minnie’s Runaway Railway (DHS)

A thought occurs, could we potentially see the attraction open earlier than 2019? It could be a simpler job, as I think @Andy mentioned that they would be doing a Guardians approach for the attraction itself. And that I doubt that the Chinese Theater will leave, so they could easily get this ready by late summer 2018 if they pushed it fast enough.

Just a thought, but I wouldn't be surprised that this thing goes for early spring 2019 instead.

A thought occurs, could we potentially see the attraction open earlier than 2019? It could be a simpler job, as I think @Andy mentioned that they would be doing a Guardians approach for the attraction itself. And that I doubt that the Chinese Theater will leave, so they could easily get this ready by late summer 2018 if they pushed it fast enough.

Just a thought, but I wouldn't be surprised that this thing goes for early spring 2019 instead.

That would be awesome.

I also highly recommend that people watch some of the shorts if they haven't already. They're all on YouTube.

I doubt it'll be open by summer 2018 but I could easily see holiday 2018. Definitely before SWL opens.

Am I the only one who actually sort of sees what Disney is going for with DHS? I mean, I understand the confusion, but I definitely get the vibe that they're transitioning from "learn how the movies are made" to "travel into the worlds of movies." It's why two of the major new lands are based off huge franchises, why the park's new centerpiece ride is about entering a Mickey Mouse short, and the theme even fits in with TOT as of right now. I do think they should think of a name change that conveys the theme better, though.

I doubt it'll be open by summer 2018 but I could easily see holiday 2018. Definitely before SWL opens.

I bet a beer it'll be late summer 2018 for TSL, spring 2019 for Mickey, and late 2019/early 2020 for SW:GE

Am I the only one who actually sort of sees what Disney is going for with DHS? I mean, I understand the confusion, but I definitely get the vibe that they're transitioning from "learn how the movies are made" to "travel into the worlds of movies." It's why two of the major new lands are based off huge franchises, why the park's new centerpiece ride is about entering a Mickey Mouse short, and the theme even fits in with TOT as of right now. I do think they should think of a name change that conveys the theme better, though.

Oh yeah, that's clearly the direction of the park for a few years now. I think GMR still fits the theme "travel into the world of movies" which is hilariously what Universal angled with USF.

Universal hasn't changed the name of their park, but has essentially followed the same path.

Going off the brief test footage @epcyclopedia shared, I think the minimalist design of the modern cartoons fits the swirling, constantly transforming "sets" far better than classic Mickey would. 1950s/60s Mickey is simply too square for that, would stand out.

And while part of me wishes it was truly a history from Steamboat Willie to present, it would suffer a CoP problem--a detailed 50-year history followed by a jarring jump 60 years into the future, with the last scene still being outdated in half a decade. Not everything at WDW needs to be a museum piece--this can just be a fun ride.

I'm not familiar with the new shorts, but I like that it's a little "off", and not as "safe" as Mickey cartoons typically are. Movie ride is a classic, but sadly pretty boring to most audiences these days. These type of "modern" rides are exactly what Disney needs to combat UOR.

I'm not familiar with the new shorts, but I like that it's a little "off", and not as "safe" as Mickey cartoons typically are. Movie ride is a classic, but sadly pretty boring to most audiences these days. These type of "modern" rides are exactly what Disney needs to combat UOR.
Here, just watch the latest one from 2 days ago. The bit in the middle of this 3 min cartoon had me laughing so loud it scared my cat.

That looks interesting, but I can't tell...is that a screen? Or is it real sets changing?

It appears that the trees (which turn into buildings) are the only practical element in that clip. If you look closely, it's clear that those practical elements are pieces of canvas or fabric supported by rods that move. At the beginning of the scene, the rods form a triangular tent-like shape. Then they spin around and open up to create a rectangular shape. (You can see the fabric rippling after the transformation) All the while, the projection mapping helps to sell the illusion. Reminds me of a scene change in a theatrical play. Pretty neat.

Would've thought they would have waited for Toy Story Land to open before closing down another ride...
Yea, I'm really surprised they are closing another ride.

I'm going to miss going on it one last time as I'll get down there in September. I mean theres not really a reason to go to Hollywood Studios now. I'll hit up Twilight Zone, Rockin Rollercoaster, Toy Story, and then leave.

I can't help but laugh at most of the responses here. Ever since TSL was announced, everyone has been whining about flat rides and lamenting the lack of a family friendly dark ride. Then they announce one and more whining.

Calling it now, sleeper hit. Like Fallon, in that the GP is going to absolutely love it. "Real Fans" are going to complain about the art style, Screenz, and the loss of a sad, irrelevant/outdated and somewhat boring ride.

I have no problem with GMR going (Although I'll definitely miss it), and I have no problem with a Mickey Mouse ride replacing it - I just have a problem with that version of a Mickey Mouse ride.

Part of me would have preferred GMR staying though, because it's the last original attraction at the park - but also because it was the seed that eventually expanded from an Epcot pavilion to full-on theme park.

Hollywood Studios is at the point where they need to cut the ticket price. There's simply not enough in the park to justify a full ticket price. Guest Services must be swimming in unhappy guests.
Apart from the fact that Disney never cuts prices, I think they want tickets to stay expensive to keep everyone but multi day ticket guests out so the waits don,t get to crazy and guests complain.

Would've thought they would have waited for Toy Story Land to open before closing down another ride...
Better to just rip off the band-aid imo.

Disney wants virtually no construction around the time of the 50th... the only area that may have construction should be parts of Epcot (Brazil, maybe GotG depending on how fast or slow they push it).

I've watched the section of the presentation pertaining to this attraction several times today, and I've come away with the basic impression that this is going to be Mystic Manor meets Toy Story Mania, except minus Mystic Manor's sets, AAs, and animated figures, and minus Toy Story's interactivity.

I'm guessing it's going to be Projection Mapping: The Ride. That technique has proven to be a jaw-dropping element of other attractions, but I'm unconvinced it can support being the primary driver of a ride.

Better to just rip off the band-aid imo.

Disney wants virtually no construction around the time of the 50th... the only area that may have construction should be parts of Epcot (Brazil, maybe GotG depending on how fast or slow they push it).

Epcot's "everything is on the berm" setup usually makes construction really easy to hide.

Mexico has been in the process of building a fairly substantial new restaurant/bar next to the main pyramid and hardly anyone has noticed it.

Epcot's "everything is on the berm" setup usually makes construction really easy to hide.

Mexico has been in the process of building a fairly substantial new restaurant/bar next to the main pyramid and hardly anyone has noticed it.
That's certainly true, but it all depends if Disney wants all of this open for the 50th or if they want to save some of the Epcot stuff for Epcot's 40th.

Of course with UoE closing on August 13th, it would be fairly absurd if they can't have GotG open for the 50th.