Mission:Space | Page 2 | Inside Universal Forums

Mission:Space

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I rode yesterday with some family visiting from out of town. They really liked it, but then again they were disappointed by the lack of exciting rides at Epcot after spending a full day at Universal Orlando.

I did notice a lot of Guardians of the Galaxy merchandise in the exit gift shop, and thought that was interesting. I know there has been some discussion of a new film and overlay of GotG for this ride, but after riding again, I feel that this ride should remain grounded in reality as an astronaut training simulator.

I do agree though, there needs to be a more concrete throughline for the attraction. At one point they say in the pre-show to prepare for your training mission, then they show us footage of a "real" rocket ship on a launch pad going through safety checks. So which is it? Training or real?

Varied sequences like Star Tours has now would fix the re-ride issue. I hardly ever go on it, because it's always the same and I know it by heart. Some variation would go along way. I love the feeling of the launch and the moon slingshot assist, but the Mars stuff is blah, and by then I'm bored.

Reactions: Mad Dog
I seem to be apart of the few that actually enjoy this ride, darn. I think MS deserves a nice update though so this definitely has me excited.

It's a decent attraction. Although some of us theme park geeks may still be sore that Horizons is gone.

It's like building your house on an indian burial ground. The spirits are not happy.

It has some decent elements - but it totally expects the thrill aspect to sell the entire attraction. When that thrill turns out to alienate a large part of your audience the whole things falls apart.

It's a decent attraction. Although some of us theme park geeks may still be sore that Horizons is gone.

It's like building your house on an indian burial ground. The spirits are not happy.

Oh for sure nothing can top that masterpiece, but I still think Space is a pretty solid simulator. (Besides the 5 mile exit through a white hallway that plays Disney Channel Pop music)

It has some decent elements - but it totally expects the thrill aspect to sell the entire attraction. When that thrill turns out to alienate a large part of your audience the whole things falls apart.

The "Dark Souls" of EPCOT

Per Martin on Magic: "I'll just say the green teams mission will make more sense."

I think I'm getting it now. Orange will probably simulate the same space launch mission with new visuals, whereas Green will simulate a Gravity-esque spacewalk. Thus giving you two different options and a more open idea. Probably with SpaceX as a sponsor.

My main issue with Space is that it's a pavillion with potential that squanders it in favor of a dopey thrill ride. This should be analogous to Land or Seas pavillion and had a varying amount of attractions. They're sorely missing an attraction that focuses less on the intensity and thrill of current space travel and more on space exploration. Space is such a fascinating subject and if any Epcot "educational" aspect would woo people, it's this. Not sure exactly how Disney could create something that can provide an extra touch than any science museum, but that's kind of what Epcot always was. Heck, the California Science Center's remodel from the late 90s is a dead-on attempt at trying that same model of Future World old. (just without the rides) Their Human Body exhibit is especially reminiscent of Wonders of Life, complete with an animatronic show a la Cranium Command.

So I'm confident that Disney could attempt something that leapfrogs over that, and giving families something extra to do other than some dumb postshow stuff. A theater show utilizing 4K 3D visuals and possibly hosted by Neil DeGrasse Tyson would be awesome. Just something to give this pavillion some heft.

...and Horizons is never, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever coming back. It'd be cool with they found away to insert the old song but otherwise it's ok.

Reactions: Narc
...and Horizons is never, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever coming back. It'd be cool with they found away to insert the old song but otherwise it's ok.

At least they incorporated the Horizons logo on the space station simulator, center of the wheel. (Speaking of the wheel, how long has that not been spinning? Seems like half of the attraction's life at this point, no?)

IMG_3601.jpg

IMG_3604.jpg

Yeah that was the one tribute aspect, which is almost never seen anymore. It'd be nice if a tribute could occur within the actual guest experience aside from the queue.

Reactions: tankart150
My main issue with Space is that it's a pavillion with potential that squanders it in favor of a dopey thrill ride. This should be analogous to Land or Seas pavillion and had a varying amount of attractions. They're sorely missing an attraction that focuses less on the intensity and thrill of current space travel and more on space exploration. Space is such a fascinating subject and if any Epcot "educational" aspect would woo people, it's this.
They have the room to do this.... add an extra ride/more complete pavilion, but they have to be willing to demolish Wonders of Life.

Reactions: tankart150 and Ryan
Per Martin on Magic: "I'll just say the green teams mission will make more sense."

I think I'm getting it now. Orange will probably simulate the same space launch mission with new visuals, whereas Green will simulate a Gravity-esque spacewalk. Thus giving you two different options and a more open idea. Probably with SpaceX as a sponsor.

My main issue with Space is that it's a pavillion with potential that squanders it in favor of a dopey thrill ride. This should be analogous to Land or Seas pavillion and had a varying amount of attractions. They're sorely missing an attraction that focuses less on the intensity and thrill of current space travel and more on space exploration. Space is such a fascinating subject and if any Epcot "educational" aspect would woo people, it's this. Not sure exactly how Disney could create something that can provide an extra touch than any science museum, but that's kind of what Epcot always was. Heck, the California Science Center's remodel from the late 90s is a dead-on attempt at trying that same model of Future World old. (just without the rides) Their Human Body exhibit is especially reminiscent of Wonders of Life, complete with an animatronic show a la Cranium Command.

So I'm confident that Disney could attempt something that leapfrogs over that, and giving families something extra to do other than some dumb postshow stuff. A theater show utilizing 4K 3D visuals and possibly hosted by Neil DeGrasse Tyson would be awesome. Just something to give this pavillion some heft.

Unless an insider says differently, I'm not thinking SpaceX will ever be a sponsor anywhere. They don't have the cashflow to waste and it isn't really obvious how they would benefit from the sponsorship.

I will never understand why people loved Horizons/World of Motion so much...After riding Spaceship Earth those two almost felt redundant

#thingsyoucantsayonadisneyparksfansite

I will never understand why people loved Horizons/World of Motion so much...After riding Spaceship Earth those two almost felt redundant

[HASHTAG]#thingsyoucantsayonadisneyparksfansite[/HASHTAG]

Yeah I always thought World of Motion was kinda bad. But I appreciated Horizons as the Carousel of Progress sequel it was though. I don't put it in the pantheon of really great theme park rides, but I thought it was solid.

Once this refurb is over, is one side still going to be less intense (i.e. no spinning) than the other, or are they doing away with that? I hope the less intense option is sticking around, because there's no way I'm ever doing the spinning version again after the headache and dizziness I got on it the first time I rode. It's the only ride to ever make me motion sick.