Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Walt Disney World Tech News & Discussion- Magic Bands, Genie+, and more

not sure if it was new but I assume it belongs here. When we went to the parks, the stores were testing where the customer can just use their phone and the Disney AP to scan merchandize to their cart as they go, pay on the phone....no need to visit the register (not sure who takes off those security devices).

not sure if it was new but I assume it belongs here. When we went to the parks, the stores were testing where the customer can just use their phone and the Disney AP to scan merchandize to their cart as they go, pay on the phone....no need to visit the register (not sure who takes off those security devices).

Is this in addition to the option to pay at the register, or a replacement for that?

This started testing at Mousegear early last month. There’s a cast member at exit that’ll help you with security tags (and to ensure you paid before leaving).

Is this in addition to the option to pay at the register, or a replacement for that?
An additional option you can use so you don’t have to wait in line. Registers will still be available. You scan the items with the mobile app and pay through the app and they check to be sure you paid as you walk out briefly.

Last edited:
It can't be a complete replacement. Unless they are going to tell people with cash or without mobile phones they can't buy anything.

Not a bad idea. There has been times I would have bought merchandise but the queues put me off, especially at park closing.

Nobody wants to be carrying about merchandise all day and there’s always a last minute rush at the end of the day. It was nice that Disney could deliver to your room when staying on site or has that been cancelled yet?

This is AMAZING! I’m thinking Emporium at closing. Nothing I hate more then waiting on people who seem to forget to have their method of payment ready at check out having to dig through backpacks looking for cash or their card.

Walmart and Sam's Club are offering the same service with the mobile app for scanning and then it gets scanned by someone at the door to make sure it's all paid for. I'm guessing someone for Walmart and Disney has calculated the labor saving versus the additional losses through theft/accidental not scanned items.

Walmart and Sam's Club are offering the same service with the mobile app for scanning and then it gets scanned by someone at the door to make sure it's all paid for. I'm guessing someone for Walmart and Disney has calculated the labor saving versus the additional losses through theft/accidental not scanned items.

Yes! We love the Scan & Go app at Sam's Club. So easy and convenient.

In addition to Mouse Gear, Everything POP Shopping & Dining has the merchandise mobile checkout option as well. Would love to see this expanded to more gift shops. We tried it out a couple weekends ago, and it worked very well.

They've been phasing out the bands, so this isn't shocking. It's actually something i'm surprised took so long to be implemented tbh.

Im wondering when we just spin this out into a new thread as MDX is effectively dead (it’s successful children being migrated to other platforms and utilities).
I don't think it's worth a new thread. This thread only has 13 pages and has been around for 5 years. It's just an evolution of the service as I see it.

I'm seeing a lot of people complaining that this is somehow...inconvenient? I don't see what the difference is between this and using your phone as your ticket.

I'm seeing a lot of people complaining that this is somehow...inconvenient? I don't see what the difference is between this and using your phone as your ticket.
Yeah, I don't really understand the difference much either. It seems like they're just repackaging existing elements of MM+ and marketing them as something new.

And it's not like you still can't use a MagicBand if you still want to/need to (i.e. phone died).

Well that's just pure stupidity on behalf of that person doing that and if it works, nothing is stopping them from using their cyborg arm for entry. Magic Bands can still be used.

Jamie got an RFID implant, it's pretty common to have and it can be removed. Not like he put a magic band in his hand. (Also my forgetfulness in bringing my UOR AP with me last January was the spark that started that article series)

Jamie got an RFID implant, it's pretty common to have and it can be removed. Not like he put a magic band in his hand. (Also my forgetfulness in bringing my UOR AP with me last January was the spark that started that article series)
I guess I just think implanting an RFID chip into your arm is a really extreme step to take just for the fun of seeing if it would work. I actually do have an implanted device that's pretty much an RFID chip when you boil it down, but it's for medical reasons only.