Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Original Poseidon's Fury Footage

Someone recently found and restored their footage of the full original Poseidon's Fury

This version IMO is far superior to what we have today...but watch for yourself

I really can’t emphasize enough how unreal the finale of the original was. Getting transported “back” to the “original” room was one of the most magical moments I had ever experienced in a theme park. The current version just bastardized it.

This was such an amazing attraction when it first opened. It's just a shame guests were too stupid to follow the story and the pre-show was lost on non-english speakers.
It could have been slightly tweaked to be more fluid

I remember the water screens 3D like effect being the coolest thing I had seen at a theme park up until that point

This is honestly a great find, I was honestly curious what the original version was like and yeah, it's way better than the current show in many ways. I also loved hearing the crowds reactions to the show, too.

Also, I'm seriously bummed we lost yet another sweet V.A. role for Jeremy Irons, UGH.

If one of the issues of the original show was having someone play a older man, they could've still had a "Taylor" character since Zeus was no stranger to turning into well, anything. (Granted, that was often in order to nab himself another lay, but that's Zeus for ya'.)

I really can’t emphasize enough how unreal the finale of the original was. Getting transported “back” to the “original” room was one of the most magical moments I had ever experienced in a theme park. The current version just bastardized it.

The finale honestly looked great, Atlantis self-destructing and then using the big wall as a surprise cover is a killer effect. Kinda' like a reverse variant of the Transporter effect from the late Klingon Encounter/Star Trek Experience in Vegas. The current version may have a nice reveal of the main area, but it's not the surprise punch of getting transported back to the previous room.

This is honestly a great find, I was honestly curious what the original version was like and yeah, it's way better than the current show in many ways. I also loved hearing the crowds reactions to the show, too.

Also, I'm seriously bummed we lost yet another sweet V.A. role for Jeremy Irons, UGH.

If one of the issues of the original show was having someone play a older man, they could've still had a "Taylor" character since Zeus was no stranger to turning into well, anything. (Granted, that was often in order to nab himself another lay, but that's Zeus for ya'.)

The finale honestly looked great, Atlantis self-destructing and then using the big wall as a surprise cover is a killer effect. Kinda' like a reverse variant of the Transporter effect from the late Klingon Encounter/Star Trek Experience in Vegas. The current version may have a nice reveal of the main area, but it's not the surprise punch of getting transported back to the previous room.
Ironically, they could have used the trident part of the storyline and the statue that turns into Zeuss

I honestly don’t fully understand why they reversed the finale. Being transported to the original room was far more surprising and stunning.
It’s always bugged me. The only conceivable, logical reason is that it decreases the time to reset the scene. But that’s arguable because the five seconds it takes is negligible. If they did it in an attempt to make the narrative less confusing, it arguably does the opposite.

As annoying as Darkenon is, I’d be fine with the character staying if they just bring back the original structure of the attraction itself.

It’s always bugged me. The only conceivable, logical reason is that it decreases the time to reset the scene. But that’s arguable because the five seconds it takes is negligible. If they did it in an attempt to make the narrative less confusing, it arguably does the opposite.

As annoying as Darkenon is, I’d be fine with the character staying if they just bring back the original structure of the attraction itself.

For real... leave it as if you must, story wise. But fix the ending.

I'm glad others have mentioned how good the ending used to be - obviously 1999-2000 was pre-blogger days so it was easier to go into a new attraction with no notion of what was going to happen, but the first time I saw the show was one of the biggest wow's I've had in a theme park.

Completely ignoring the story and just focusing on the staging, the current version is just.... meh. And weakens the water tunnel.

One of the reasons given for reversing the finale was that they felt the impact of the temple scene was watered down by guests slowly filing into it before starting the scene (as well as concerns that they would see all of the exposed lighting and blank walls along the back).

With regard to the script changes, the original version of the show doesn’t transition from mysterious to dangerous until the final room, and the new writer was asked to make the show more exciting and scary in the earlier rooms without major design changes to the building.

One of the reasons given for reversing the finale was that they felt the impact of the temple scene was watered down by guests slowly filing into it before starting the scene (as well as concerns that they would see all of the exposed lighting and blank walls along the back).

With regard to the script changes, the original version of the show doesn’t transition from mysterious to dangerous until the final room, and the new writer was asked to make the show more exciting and scary in the earlier rooms without major design changes to the building.
Myself, I prefer the present story line (except for the Darkemon character) chronology of the scenes, especially since they updated effects a couple of years ago. The only thing I personally feel is weaker in the second version is the film with Darkemon. I thought the original film in the final scene was superior in story telling and looks. The present PF entire attraction experience version relies on the actors quite a bit, since every actor's take is a bit different. If you get one of the really good actors, the experience is quite good. Of all the times I've done PF, I've only experienced one weak actor, who played his/her character like a hunchbacked version Gollum, and that actor's version did hurt the entire show.

Last edited:
This seems to be something I can imagine TOM 1 from Toonami enjoying. (He was around in 1999, around when IoA first opened, so that's where it comes from.)

(Please don't laugh at this, this is very cursed...) Who's hotter: Poisedon (original version) or Darkenon...?

Last edited: