Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Pollo Campero

Aug 17, 2009
From the Orlando Sentinel:

Pollo Campero, an international Latin chicken quick-service restaurant chain, has partnered with Levy Campero to deliver a new restaurant concept in Downtown Disney Marketplace at Walt Disney World Resort. The restaurant, which is scheduled to open in late 2010, will feature Pollo Campero’s signature Latin cusine, as well as fresh, and healthful foods. Menu items will include Latin chicken, yuca fries, sweet plantains, and Latin drinks including horchata and tamarindo.

Pollo Campero, the world’s largest Latin chicken restaurant chain, serves more than 85 million customers each year at more than 300 restaurants in 12 countries around the globe. This includes more than 50 locations already open in the United States, with additional stores scheduled to open this year.

McDonald's Closing

Fast-food giant McDonald’s is leaving Downtown Disney.

The McDonald’s restaurant at Walt Disney World’s shopping-and-dining district will close April 30, Disney said this afternoon. It will be replaced by Pollo Campero, a Latin chicken fast-food chain.

Pollo Campero says it serves more than 85 million customers a year. McDonald’s says it serves more than 47 million customers a day.

Representatives for Disney World and McDonald’s said the exit stems from a 2004 decision to end a 10-year exclusive sponsorship agreement between McDonald’s Corp. and Walt Disney Co. The Downtown Disney restaurant was included in that agreement.

“Our alliance partners are ever-changing and this shift in our relationship with McDonald’s reflects the dynamic nature of the sponsorship business,” Disney spokeswoman Zoraya Suarez said.

McDonald’s said all of its employees at the Downtown Disney were offered transfers to other McDonald’s locations and that no one would lose their job as a result of the closure.

McDonald’s will continue to operate its restaurant near the entrance to the Disney’s Animal Kingdom theme park.

“We will continue to work with Disney on mutually beneficial opportunities,” McDonald’s spokeswoman Danya Proud said.

http://thedailydisney.com/blog/2010/02/mcdonalds-at-downtown-disney-is-closing/

According to The Daily Disney, Pollo Campero will be replacing McDonalds.
Fast-food giant McDonald’s is leaving Downtown Disney.

The McDonald’s restaurant at Walt Disney World’s shopping-and-dining district will close April 30, Disney said this afternoon. It will be replaced by Pollo Campero, a Latin chicken fast-food chain. (More on the new restaurant here.)

Pollo Campero says it serves more than 85 million customers a year. McDonald’s says it serves more than 47 million customers a day.

Representatives for Disney World and McDonald’s said the exit stems from a 2004 decision to end a 10-year exclusive sponsorship agreement between McDonald’s Corp. and Walt Disney Co. The Downtown Disney restaurant was included in that agreement.

“Our alliance partners are ever-changing and this shift in our relationship with McDonald’s reflects the dynamic nature of the sponsorship business,” Disney spokeswoman Zoraya Suarez said.

McDonald’s said all of its employees at the Downtown Disney were offered transfers to other McDonald’s locations and that no one would lose their job as a result of the closure.

McDonald’s will continue to operate its restaurant near the entrance to the Disney’s Animal Kingdom theme park.

“We will continue to work with Disney on mutually beneficial opportunities,” McDonald’s spokeswoman Danya Proud said.

I have merged the 2 threads since they are obviously related.

Not that much of a shock that McD's is leaving. I mean, they spent the past 2 years getting rid of all Fry Stands in the parks. The prices were bit overpriced anyway. There will at least be a McDonald's by the All-Stars/AK.

Am I imagining this or are the food options becoming very Latin-centic at WDW. The last 3 places to open are La Cava de Tequila, Paradiso 37 , and now Pollo Campero. But to be fair they are opening a new Pizzaria at Epcot along with more Latin food at the expanded Cantina.

I find this very aggravating. Is this Pollo place really going to appeal to as many people as the McDonald's did? I don't know, as I said in another thread, all these changes are terribly depressing.

i'm not too happy with the change i loved going to the MD's for a cheaper meal rather then a sit down at DTD i mean yeah walk 5 - 10 mins to crossroad right outside disney and there's another one, but i don't know I am wondering what will happen theres alot of open space at DTD

The Downtown Disney McDonalds has officially closed and is now walled off. From WDWMagic:
The Downtown Disney McDonald's closed on April 30 2010 and is now walled off as parts of the exterior McDonald's decor are removed.

I think this sucks. We ate there once in a while on a quick trip but often times cruising around DD we'd stop in and grab a mcflurry or cone. Not interested at all in the new place. meh.

I wouldn't say I'm upset, I mean my day will go on, but just a little disappointed I suppose. I do appreciate change and new stuff though so I'll be open minded until it's all open.

I dig Latin food, so I'll go when Pollo Campero opens.

I liked the McDonald's and ate there a couple of times, but I'm not going to miss the $1 added to the combo meals and the lack of the Dollar Menu.

I dig Latin food, so I'll go when Pollo Campero opens.

I liked the McDonald's and ate there a couple of times, but I'm not going to miss the $1 added to the combo meals and the lack of the Dollar Menu.

Do you really think this new place is going to be cheaper? Or is it allowed to be expensive because it won't be a McDonald's?