Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Post COVID - Timeline to Normality

Jan 25, 2021
Hi all,

First post on here and I'm looking for a bit of insight. I'm in the UK and have not been over to the US for a decade or so as a teenager, I was planning on taking my partner over to do some of the theme parks in Florida and maybe a trip to New York at some point this year. I'm really looking forward to it, I have some great memories of the parks (particularly the Marvel Universe at Islands of Adventure!) and it looks like there's been some really great new additions (although I was gutted to just read Dueling Dragons and Jaws have gone, nearly had a heart attack reading the title of the thread about the Mummy but glad to see it's safe!).

With covid, obviously that's been disrupted and I'm sure certain things have changed potentially forever. My feeling is that I don't really want to be embarking on this type of international travel until the vaccination programme has sufficiently fought back the progress of the virus. I'm aware any sort of move to book anything carries huge risk but am trying to get a feel for how things are going and maybe formulate some sort of a plan to make a move on flights.

The good news is here in Scotland and the rest of the UK, we're seeing decent progress with priority groups and indications that the bulk of the population could be vaccinated by around August. From searching information on the US, I can't find a huge amount regarding timelines and from what I can find, it looks very varied state-to-state.

I'm curious, what's the outlook like in Florida on the ground? How close are vulnerable groups (over 70s and health conditions etc) to having their two doses? Do we anticipate that October will be normalish and the horror nights will run?

Cheers.

Hi all,

First post on here and I'm looking for a bit of insight. I'm in the UK and have not been over to the US for a decade or so as a teenager, I was planning on taking my partner over to do some of the theme parks in Florida and maybe a trip to New York at some point this year. I'm really looking forward to it, I have some great memories of the parks (particularly the Marvel Universe at Islands of Adventure!) and it looks like there's been some really great new additions (although I was gutted to just read Dueling Dragons and Jaws have gone, nearly had a heart attack reading the title of the thread about the Mummy but glad to see it's safe!).

With covid, obviously that's been disrupted and I'm sure certain things have changed potentially forever. My feeling is that I don't really want to be embarking on this type of international travel until the vaccination programme has sufficiently fought back the progress of the virus. I'm aware any sort of move to book anything carries huge risk but am trying to get a feel for how things are going and maybe formulate some sort of a plan to make a move on flights.

The good news is here in Scotland and the rest of the UK, we're seeing decent progress with priority groups and indications that the bulk of the population could be vaccinated by around August. From searching information on the US, I can't find a huge amount regarding timelines and from what I can find, it looks very varied state-to-state.

I'm curious, what's the outlook like in Florida on the ground? How close are vulnerable groups (over 70s and health conditions etc) to having their two doses? Do we anticipate that October will be normalish and the horror nights will run?

Cheers.
With the change in administration, it's hard to tell what the pace will be. I'd say ask again in early Summer to see if they hit their 100 million vaccinated by 100 days target.

While October will be more normal than now, I don't know if cases will be low enough that the travel restrictions are rescinded. I wouldn't plan on any kind of travel to or from the United States until 2022. That may change, but there isn't enough info atm.

Last edited:
With the change in administration, it's hard to tell what the pace will be. I'd say ask again in early Summer to see if they hit their 100 million vaccinated by 100 days target.

While October will be more normal than now, I don't know if cases will be low enough that the travel restrictions are rescinded. I wouldn't plan on any kind of travel to or from the United States until 2022. That may change, but there isn't enough info atm.

Many thanks for the response, I think holding off until the summer before re-evaluating is sound advice so I'll maybe check back then! We're definitely seeing a lot more caution regarding international travel here than at the start of the pandemic with the realisation that new strains etc could potentially set back a vaccine programme, may well be a good summer for some normality domestically but not internationally, that would still be great and we'll find a way to enjoy it but been itching to get to the US before kids come along and the trip is kicked a few years down the road!

Cheers.
Currently, Florida has administered more vaccines to seniors than any other state and should be close to 1 million here shortly

We are also sticking pretty closely to the two dose booster ideology

The usual HHN probably wont happen for a while

We're ironically fairing much better than California and New York even though we're "open"

However, precautions are being followed quite well at the parks, minus Christmas lol

I mean its up in the air...but I could see HHN working this year in flordia no matter what and hopefully in CA.

I would hope by fall enough people are vaccinated that we do not have lockdowns of any type and most people who want the vaccine have it.

My guess is CA lets Theme Parks open by end of summer/fall but of course only at 30%, masks required, 6 feet apart, no shows/characters and maybe they require proof of vaccine but only if the state made them.

Which talking to co workers, some said they rather be fired than get the vaccine....so yeah not everyone wants the vaccine

Current picture here in Orange County (before vaccination opened to 40+, and then in two weeks opens to everyone 16+):

ExWlWjSWgAcnB96

It looks promising that before summer (at least here in the OC) we'll have the percentage necessary for "herd immunity". Of course that doesn't protect those from outside of here who show up and refuse to vaccinate, but that puts the onus on them to protect themselves, and assumes we don't get a variant that foils the vaccines available.

So I think by July 4th we will be at the new normal...now next year/winter could be where it gets bad again and governments want to lockdown again because of strands but I don't think most people are ready for that.

It will be interesting to see what happening do the people in power do what science tells them to do or what will keep them in power. Basically sometime in summer we should be able to travel but by Winter I think its more up in the air.