Raya and the Last Dragon | Page 2 | Inside Universal Forums

Raya and the Last Dragon

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
lol

Seeing how No one has posted a review yet...Food work Disney you got your 30 bucks and wayyyyyyy less people saw the film (also why come out against the ending of your biggest show (so far) this year..lol)

I think its has some amazing parts think the voice work is great,t the score is beautiful, its great to look at and some shot as straight fire. I kinda wish it was a musical because I think it kinda saves films like this that are good but to me not amazing. I still listen to the Frozen 2 soundtrack and that film for sure was like....6ish but I have good thoughts on it because the music slaps.

But thats not what this filmed wanted to be and to me its like a 7 maybe an 8. For sure not a bad film but I think its still not back to the quality of the Tangled, Princess and the Frog, Frozen 1, Ralph etc basically while its good I think 10 years ago they hit fire and then kinda just made some meh sequels and this is a step in the right direction but god would I love someone who has seen the film to talk about the message of the film its both a good message but also dangerous in the real world.

lol

Seeing how No one has posted a review yet...Food work Disney you got your 30 bucks and wayyyyyyy less people saw the film (also why come out against the ending of your biggest show (so far) this year..lol)

I think its has some amazing parts think the voice work is great,t the score is beautiful, its great to look at and some shot as straight fire. I kinda wish it was a musical because I think it kinda saves films like this that are good but to me not amazing. I still listen to the Frozen 2 soundtrack and that film for sure was like....6ish but I have good thoughts on it because the music slaps.

But thats not what this filmed wanted to be and to me its like a 7 maybe an 8. For sure not a bad film but I think its still not back to the quality of the Tangled, Princess and the Frog, Frozen 1, Ralph etc basically while its good I think 10 years ago they hit fire and then kinda just made some meh sequels and this is a step in the right direction but god would I love someone who has seen the film to talk about the message of the film its both a good message but also dangerous in the real world.
The movie is in theaters too, so it's not like you have to pay the $30. I think it's expected to open to somewhere around $10M. I'm not doing either though. I'm gonna wait until June 11th when it'll be available on Disney+ for no extra charge.

I had the same thought about Raya and why would you debut it on the same day as WV's finale. They could've waited until next week, right? But when you think about it, this weekend is probably going to rival the season finale weekends for Mando S1 and S2 as far as amount of people using Disney+. They probably figured they'd take advantage of the high volume of people on Disney+ to try and get to spend the extra $30. The more eyes on the app seeing it's an option, the more people actually will spend the money. Next week is a dead week on the service aside from The Making of WandaVision.

The current Deadline estimate for the weekend is 8.3M. Meanwhile, Tom and Jerry's gross this weekend looks like 6.75M.
Remember, Cinemark is refusing to play Raya this weekend due to Premiere access and the terms Disney was asking for from the theaters, so they lost out on a lot of screens due to that.

Either way, the more important takeaway from this weekends box office is that this is on track to be the highest cumulatively performing box office weekend since the pandemic began. Some outlets are projecting closer to 12M for Raya and 8M for T&J. I'm more interested how well Raya does in China more than domestically, tbh.

Reactions: ThemeParks4Life
The movie is in theaters too, so it's not like you have to pay the $30. I think it's expected to open to somewhere around $10M. I'm not doing either though. I'm gonna wait until June 11th when it'll be available on Disney+ for no extra charge.

I had the same thought about Raya and why would you debut it on the same day as WV's finale. They could've waited until next week, right? But when you think about it, this weekend is probably going to rival the season finale weekends for Mando S1 and S2 as far as amount of people using Disney+. They probably figured they'd take advantage of the high volume of people on Disney+ to try and get to spend the extra $30. The more eyes on the app seeing it's an option, the more people actually will spend the money. Next week is a dead week on the service aside from The Making of WandaVision.
Sure, just weird to split attention.

I'm kinda interested to hear what normal people think of the film vs critics...my friend who normally like Disney films didn''t even finish it and Im not blaming him. Think the movie would have worked better as a series...it would be like pushing Avatar into one movie like all of the arcs into a film and would take away a lot of the bigger moments and even emotional ones because while you can feel for a character with a TV series you can go into more about there pain vs just one image or sentence and kinda not have much time to explore it more.

Very solid movie. They got insanely lucky on their timing in that the story deals with both a fiercely divided nation and an out of control plague.

I really prefer Disney musicals, but this does manage to stand on its own. It isn't quite as good as Moana - the music really helps that movie hit soaring highs - but it's definitely in that echelon.

Very solid movie. They got insanely lucky on their timing in that the story deals with both a fiercely divided nation and an out of control plague.

I really prefer Disney musicals, but this does manage to stand on its own. It isn't quite as good as Moana - the music really helps that movie hit soaring highs - but it's definitely in that echelon.
Someone to talk to about the message..or at least what I took from the film. What I took from it was trust more people and especially your enemies because we are more alike than you think....but the last year has taught me the opposite there are those who will do bad in the name of good and giving them faith they are good does nothing it just spreads ignorance. So for me at least its a good message but in the real world would very much bite you in the ass

I enjoyed that far more than I was expecting. The story felt a bit cookie cutter from Disney mixed with a bit of Endgame but it worked well. It did feel a bit rushed and maybe would have been suited as a tv series to explore the different kingdoms. The side characters weren’t as annoying as I expected.

The animation has reached a new peak, it’s a shame I couldn’t see it on a big screen. The cast and soundtrack were all fantastic.

I love someone who has seen the film to talk about the message of the film its both a good message but also dangerous in the real world.

THIS! I loved the movie - but man...impressionable kids could take the wrong lessons from the movie - in reality the themes are complex, not black and white like the film suggests.

THIS! I loved the movie - but man...impressionable kids could take the wrong lessons from the movie - in reality the themes are complex, not black and white like the film suggests.
I would have preferred the message if there were actually consequences for everything that happened.

I would have preferred the message if there were actually consequences for everything that happened.
Yeah agreed - I think that’s a good point. By making everything Disney-fied and happy, the lesson becomes potentially damaging instead following through on its thoughtful intentions.

Yeah agreed - I think that’s a good point. By making everything Disney-fied and happy, the lesson becomes potentially damaging instead following through on its thoughtful intentions.
Hell is paved with good intentions

I think while in the real world we have some really trying to push for everyone to be equal they are far from the norm. Most people want to help themselves first...then family/friends then the direct communities they live in then the Country and then maybe the world. But I'm sorry many issues we have today would not be solved by me giving my trust to them....powerful people/businesses have time and time again showed they will step on anyone to keep said power and money.

So its to me a dangerous message...I think Zootopia while to some in a similar "dangerous" ideal version of the truth the difference is that film is like "don't judge someone because of who you think they are based on race" which I think its fine should not cause you more harm.

Anyway just my thoughts and will love to see video's in the future talking about the films philosophy

Reactions: HalfGlass
Watched this tonight now that it's included on Disney+. Overall, I thought it was a pretty good movie, if not a bit predictable. The biggest twist for me was how Sisu ended up being a fairly flamboyant character, which, as someone who didn't watch much of the marketing, found it to be a big character twist (one that I got used to fairly quickly, i'll admit). I could've sworn I was hearing Natasha Lyonne's voice out of Sisu, but once I found out it was Awkwafina, everything about the character made sense.

I did feel like the movie didn't quite stick the landing in the end as I had questions as to how certain things happened considering everything that had just happened, but oh well. It's not quite top tier among WDAS movies despite it's RT Score, but it's a solid addition to the catalog.