SeaWorld Entertainment Appoints Marc Swanson as CEO | Inside Universal Forums

SeaWorld Entertainment Appoints Marc Swanson as CEO

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

GAcoaster

Platinum Member
Nov 30, 2012
Orlando
Marc Swanson was officially named CEO after being Acting CEO for over a year now:

Q1 Results beat Wall Street expectations with revenue and per cap up significantly (26%!):

Conference call at 9:00 with further details and (possibly) some information about ride openings and future projects.

The new CEO talks strategy with the Sentinel: SeaWorld’s new CEO aims to open hotels and add rides, but don’t expect orcas to go anywhere - Orlando Sentinel
Swanson made it clear his Orlando-based theme parks company is seeking to go into expansion mode and seriously consider building hotels now that it appears to have weathered the pandemic crisis that shut down all its parks last year.
He specifically cited Busch Gardens, and the opportunity for a Serengeti overlook hotel.
“We’re going to continue to have new rides and attractions. Our goal is to have something new in every park every year — and that would certainly include the parks in Florida,” Swanson said.
Orcas are going to be with us for some time obviously. If you think about it, orcas can live for decades ... We have several orcas that are younger,” Swanson said. “So we’re going to continue to showcase and educate people about those animals and and all the other marine mammals in our parks as well.”

I know the company showed the possible sites for hotels in a previous slide deck from a half-decade ago. If anyone can find them, feel free to post.

Reactions: shiekra38
The new CEO talks strategy with the Sentinel: SeaWorld’s new CEO aims to open hotels and add rides, but don’t expect orcas to go anywhere - Orlando Sentinel

He specifically cited Busch Gardens, and the opportunity for a Serengeti overlook hotel.

I know the company showed the possible sites for hotels in a previous slide deck from a half-decade ago. If anyone can find them, feel free to post.
I hope the hotel at Busch Gardens happens

Allegedly it was going to have a walkway from the hotel to the new plaza being built for Project Jethro

Not sure if that's still the plan

Sea World (San Diego) was packed when I went and my aunt just went and thanked me for warning against getting a food pass. She said the lines for food looked like they were insane all day

I'm a little concerned after reading Screamscape's post.

icon_STOP
SeaWorld Parks & Entertainment
- (8/5/21) Consider this fair warning, but a little bird has informed us that rough seas may be ahead for SeaWorld Entertainment team members. As we approach the end of the 2021 Summer season, word is that the new COO, Tom Iven, that SEAS hired away from Six Flags may be behind an all new series of staff layoffs, budget cuts and cuts to future capital expansion projects.

Unfortunately I don’t know when the axe is going to fall, only that the corporate office has now begun to sharpen it ahead of the upcoming culling. Stay tuned!

As it is the parks have been cut to the bone in a lot of ways and they've lost so much institutional memory from the AB days. I know it's not always a bad thing to get new people and ideas in, but knowing what I know about the SW/BG parks it really is starting to feel like the cuts to full time staffing is hurting the product more and more.

• Sad
Reactions: OhHaiInternet95
To be frank, I was shocked San Antonio survived the pandemic. It’s barely hanging on as it.

Are they cutting staff or just having trouble finding people to fill the positions, and in turn shortening their overall staff that they are carrying on a regular basis? SW can't afford to pay $15/hour like Disney and Universal are, so no one is lining up to work there. SW is a last choice option for pretty much everyone in Orlando (at least on frontline).

Reactions: GA-MBIT and Legacy
Are they cutting staff or just having trouble finding people to fill the positions, and in turn shortening their overall staff that they are carrying on a regular basis? SW can't afford to pay $15/hour like Disney and Universal are, so no one is lining up to work there. SW is a last choice option for pretty much everyone in Orlando (at least on frontline).

Well, what Disney and Uni went through layoff wise last year is what SW's seemingly been going through the last decade. So IDK if offices would be any more desirable.

And I thought San Antonio was actually doing the best? Least competition and least amount of influence by the movie that must not be named?

And I thought San Antonio was actually doing the best? Least competition and least amount of influence by the movie that must not be named?
Six Flags Fiesta is way more popular. Fiesta Texas is also right next to the “fancy” mall in San Antonio and across the highway from a university and a massive shopping center and hotels. SeaWorld feels in the middle of nowhere, comparatively, even though they’re only 20-30 minutes apart.

SA ended up cutting a lot of stuff (like the puppets at Electric Ocean) because they simply couldn’t staff it. Financially, they haven’t been doing great for a while.

Six Flags Fiesta is way more popular. Fiesta Texas is also right next to the “fancy” mall in San Antonio and across the highway from a university and a massive shopping center and hotels. SeaWorld feels in the middle of nowhere, comparatively, even though they’re only 20-30 minutes apart.

SA ended up cutting a lot of stuff (like the puppets at Electric Ocean) because they simply couldn’t staff it. Financially, they haven’t been doing great for a while.

Makes sense, I know there's a lot of people who say SFFT is the best Six Flags park.

Q2 and first 6 months continue strong performance: SeaWorld Entertainment, Inc. Reports Second Quarter and First Six Months 2021 Results

Profits more than doubled, beat all expectations, per cap spending way up!

If I had any stomach for risk I would have bought stock when it was at $43 earlier this week, it looks like it will shoot back up over $50 again.
I spent my stimmy checks on stocks and I'm kicking myself for missing this one haha

As a passholder and theme park fan, I'm very happy for them

As a capitalist kween, I am regretting underestimating

Reactions: GAcoaster
Rather than starting a new thread, once again SeaWorld posts great numbers, beating all expectations: SeaWorld (SEAS) Tops Q4 Earnings and Revenue Estimates

SeaWorld (SEAS) came out with quarterly earnings of $0.92 per share, beating the Zacks Consensus Estimate of $0.33 per share. This compares to loss of $0.58 per share a year ago. These figures are adjusted for non-recurring items.

This quarterly report represents an earnings surprise of 178.79%. A quarter ago, it was expected that this theme park operator would post earnings of $1.71 per share when it actually produced earnings of $1.86, delivering a surprise of 8.77%.

Over the last four quarters, the company has surpassed consensus EPS estimates four times.

SeaWorld , which belongs to the Zacks Leisure and Recreation Services industry, posted revenues of $370.82 million for the quarter ended December 2021, surpassing the Zacks Consensus Estimate by 8.83%. This compares to year-ago revenues of $154.08 million. The company has topped consensus revenue estimates three times over the last four quarters.

Maybe we've been underestimating Seaworld's potential based on their defensive behavior during the pandemic? With Howl-O-Scream Orlando, big strides away from Orca branding and animal-based entertainment, and projects continously in motion over there, maybe we see some ground being reclaimed in the central Florida space?