Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

SeaWorld Entertainment Corporate News (Old Leadership Thread)

I just don't see any way Universal does anything with SeaWorld if they wish to go ahead with EU.

Comcast is going to be in a much better position, when things begin to open back up.

Could they hurt a bit? Absolutely--but Comcast has a monopoly on Cable television, internet, and phone domestically and in some cases, internationally. The parks and the studios may drag them slightly--but it isn't going to hurt them as bad as Disney is getting hurt by.

And even if they didn't touch SeaWorld for a bit, with the only exceptions being the removal of animals..they could then eventually close the park and give it the revamp it'd deserve.

Comcast is going to be in a much better position, when things begin to open back up.

Could they hurt a bit? Absolutely--but Comcast has a monopoly on Cable television, internet, and phone domestically and in some cases, internationally. The parks and the studios may drag them slightly--but it isn't going to hurt them as bad as Disney is getting hurt by.

And even if they didn't touch SeaWorld for a bit, with the only exceptions being the removal of animals..they could then eventually close the park and give it the revamp it'd deserve.
I agree with you on Comcast's situation. But I have difficulty believing they'd want Sea World Orlando. They might take a stab at BGW though. That's one of the largest tourist areas in the USA.

I'm in the boat that's quite fine with Universal going after Sesame Street. As other's have said, it's a evergreen property that's still plenty big for it's demographic.

That and I've got a good feeling Universal would do more with the property than what Disney has done with the Muppets. *glares*

Absolutely. They already use it overseas, and it's an evergreen children's franchise.

I'd argue that, if Universal gets Sesame Street, you'll see it KidZone before anything else.
I'll take anything if it means a good dark ride

Just seems like they have a lot of IPs they have yet to work in just from Dreamworks

I agree with you on Comcast's situation. But I have difficulty believing they'd want Sea World Orlando. They might take a stab at BGW though. That's one of the largest tourist areas in the USA.

Exactly. But what about BGT? That’s the one I REALLY care about surviving. Not to lose perspective of what’s important and what not, but it has such a wonderful collection of coasters; I’d be devestated if it closed. :(

Would it be possible for Uni to just buy the Seaworld park? Not Discovery Cove and Aquatica or anything Busch Gardens related?

Also feel they would get hugely positive press if they bought and released some of the animals (orcas and the like - still keeping those you'd likely find in an aquarium) ... they could put a large focus on environmentalism and conservation. And then they have a rival to DAK

Why wouldn't they want SeaWorld Orlando? It is a huge chunk of land in the attractions area of Orlando that is already zoned and infrastructured for theme park use. Obviously, Comcast would want to toss the SeaWorld branding because of it's toxic reputation.

I could see Comcast buying the place. Keeping Manta, Mako, Infinity Falls (all rethemed), and Sesame Street (expanded with Sesame Street Spaghetti Space Chase and Elmo's Bubble Bubble dark rides). Flatten everything else.

Also feel they would get hugely positive press if they bought and released some of the animals (orcas and the like - still keeping those you'd likely find in an aquarium) ... they could put a large focus on environmentalism and conservation. And then they have a rival to DAK

How would this work though. They can't really just release the orcas into the wild since most of them have spent their whole lives in captivity. If you release them into sea pens who is going to pay for the facilities that will be needed for the whales continues care. I can't see Comcast being willing to do that without some way of profiting. Unless they do something in park that allows people to donate to their care.

Why wouldn't they want SeaWorld Orlando? It is a huge chunk of land in the attractions area of Orlando that is already zoned and infrastructured for theme park use. Obviously, Comcast would want to toss the SeaWorld branding because of it's toxic reputation.

I could see Comcast buying the place. Keeping Manta, Mako, Infinity Falls (all rethemed), and Sesame Street (expanded with Sesame Street Spaghetti Space Chase and Elmo's Bubble Bubble dark rides). Flatten everything else.

Its a good thing Comcast has experience repairing damaged reputations then.

I would see Comcast being much more interested in expanding their foot-hold on Orlando, than any other park. Additionally--they'd be able to maintain the year round ops, unlike an option like BGW.

While it might be fun to speculate about this remember that people's jobs and livelihoods are at stake in any bankruptcy or selling. We all need to be more receptive to these issues when discussing anything during this time, including myself.

How would this work though. They can't really just release the orcas into the wild since most of them have spent their whole lives in captivity. If you release them into sea pens who is going to pay for the facilities that will be needed for the whales continues care. I can't see Comcast being willing to do that without some way of profiting. Unless they do something in park that allows people to donate to their care.

Its a good thing Comcast has experience repairing damaged reputations then.
Comcast wouldn't need to repair the brand's reputation, they would just be buying the real estate. Comcast would have to renegotiate the Sesame Street rights with Sesame Workshop, but they already have a cozy relationship. So that shouldn't be a problem. SeaWorld Corp. would be responsible for relocating the animals. The marine mammals would probably end up in Texas, as California is cracking down on keeping captive marine mammels.

Last edited:
Would it be possible for Uni to just buy the Seaworld park? Not Discovery Cove and Aquatica or anything Busch Gardens related?

I think Universal would be more interested in Discovery Cove then in SeaWorld or Aquatica. Add a small premium < 500 room hotel adjacent to it and Universal makes back their money within a a year or two.

As for Six Flags or Cedar Fair purchasing SeaWorld, I see it unlikely at the moment as those parks will struggle throughout the year and the last thing they need is an expensive park to run. Universal will not buy the entire company, but they'll be the first person in line to purchase assets and property.

Comcast wouldn't need to repair the brand's reputation, they would just be buying the real estate. Comcast would have to renegotiate the Sesame Street rights with Sesame Workshop, but they already have a cozy relationship. So that shouldn't be a problem. SeaWorld Corp. would be responsible for relocating the animals. The marine mammals would probably end up in Texas, as California is cracking down on keeping captive marine mammels.
Texas wouldn’t be able to support a Florida sized influx of marine mammals. Most of their tanks (including their Pacific Point) are about half to two/thirds the size of Florida’s. It is tiny, with meager footing even before corona. Moving anything there would require massive infrastructure enhancements Seaworld isn’t in a position to execute.

Honestly, I can see Seaworld selling San Diego and San Antonio and trying to go all in Orlando and the Busch Parks.

Texas wouldn’t be able to support a Florida sized influx of marine mammals. Most of their tanks (including their Pacific Point) are about half to two/thirds the size of Florida’s. It is tiny, with meager footing even before corona. Moving anything there would require massive infrastructure enhancements Seaworld isn’t in a position to execute.

Honestly, I can see Seaworld selling San Diego and San Antonio and trying to go all in Orlando and the Busch Parks.
I believe they’ve mentioned that the Orlando parks make the vast majority of the company’s profits, so I wouldn’t be surprised there.

Some (I assume) fans are calling for the removal of the chairman of the board. He is there because the majority share holder put him there, so I would assume this is a non-starter:

Just the idea of Universal having that land and parks (I’m frankly extremely unfamiliar with them although I have heard of their coasters), getting it all done and ready for 2030, that’d be a decade later from now at least, an entire new generation of kids and families to vacation to Orlando, Universal could be in a PRIME spot to very directly comepete with Disney. Awesome stuff

I'd rather Universal focus on the three parks they have. I don't want a WDW situation where they're stretched across too many parks, trying to balance their budget while providing new experiences for each of them. Maybe buy the land as space for hotels and the coasters, then decide at a later date (way after EU has opened) whether the resort can handle a fourth park without cannibalizing guests from the other three.