Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

SeaWorld Orlando's Future Plans

I wonder if SeaWorld wouldn't be better off dropping the name and re-branding themselves as Busch Gardens Orlando. With the inclusion of all the new coasters and re-theming of Shamu's Happy Harbor to Sesame Street, I think the new name would be justified. The only problem is the animal rights people would act like they won.

Its only a matter of time till the SeaWorld name goes away and I also agree with Nick C the animal rights folks have already won

They haven't won. SeaWorld changed as society was (unfortunately) changing, being more uncomfortable seeing Orcas under human care. Everyone I speak to about SeaWorld immediately questions me about Orcas and for this reason alone they are reluctant to visit. I'm confident that despite this being a heartbreaking decision, it was the right one. SeaWorld has always said they will NEVER please PETA and Manby himself has said this on countless occasions. SeaWorld still breeds Dolphins, Sea Lions, Beluga Whales, Sharks, Seals, Walruses, the list goes on and on. Heck, there's a Dolphin Nursery opening in the next couple of weeks with plans for new animal habitats in the works! Doesn't sound like pleasing PETA to me! They won't be satisfied with even a single fish left on display at SeaWorld or any other zoological organization.

We should all be thankful that Manby and his team were able to use this compromise to negotiate sea pens out of the California Orca breeding bill which would have easily passed even if SeaWorld had opposed it. Without Manby's breeding ban which allowed for negotiation to happen, we could have already been in a position in 2017 with no Orcas at SeaWorld San Diego and a much more extreme Orca bill being passed than the one we ended up with. There is always more than meets the eye with these things.

In other words, the voluntary breeding ban avoided a total and utter disaster and legal catastrophe in San Diego.

Last edited:
In a few years when it dawns about the extent humans have had a negative impact on Killer wales in the wild, there'll be a demand for the kind of research facility that Seaworld currently is already doing. I'd be amazed if Seaworld ever actually get to a position where they don't have killer wales...they're just riding out this current storm.

As I've mentioned before there's a ton of hysteria regarding Seaworld & it's blown completely out of proportion. They attracted over 4million guests last season in Orlando and are still, just, in the top 20 world parks. That's a lot of guests. And a lot of potential to increase their share.

When they do spend money though they need to make wiser decisions. I don't know what they paid for Ocean Explorer in Cali, but whatever it was it was too much. In Orlando, I can't see what coaster they could add that wouldn't attract people if their current lineup doesn't appeal, so I think at the moment they should work on diversifying their experiences to bulk out the day. I think the Rapids ride is a good start.

Turtle Trek kind of experiences/rides is the route they should be heading down in the future imo...

Last edited:
I think that Sesame Street will be a good start to a SeaWorld rebound. Its funny if Orcas were endangered in the wild they would be applauded for their successful breeding program but because they are not they are evil monster who should be out of business. In the future I think SeaWorld should strive to become Orlando's Baltimore Aquarium but with world class rides as well as world class exhibits. I do hope in the future they remember that not everyone is into coasters and are able to develop Disney or Universal level family rides.

The focus should be on more rides like Manta, Falcons Fury, and Cobras Curse. They're either one-of-a-kind technological marvels or hybrid rides with queue enhancements and in-park integrations. They need to stop producing rides like Mako, Cheetah Hunt, Antarctica, and VR enhancements that are just piled on and are of no value added once their respective honeymoon periods have elapsed. Focus on a unique set of experiences that'll draw people in. But what do I know? :cheers:
Our "local" one here in Texas (4.5 hrs away from me in DFW) is getting just that.
The first Intamin in years and a launch "jet ski" coaster over the water.
It actually looks fantastic.

They didn't when they made the area at the San Antonio Park. They left it as Shamu Express with the Sesame Street theming on the remainder of the area when they changed it. Since the trains are whale themed, it would be easier (not to mention cheaper) to just leave them as is.
Sesame Street Bay of Play | SeaWorld San Antonio

2018 is another major year and will give us Infinity Falls, 2019 will be minor and then 2020 will be another big one that will hopefully give us another coaster, so I doubt we will see see Sesame Street earlier than 2021. If changing Shamu's Happy Harbor into Sesame Street is significant enough, then probably they'll consider it major, and hence the decision to push it back to 2022.

Sesame Street Bay of play is a concrete filled, cheaply done carnival area. Makes Dinorama or toy story Paris look like Diagon Alley.
It could easily be the 2019 "minor" addition. They bring in 2-3 carnie rides, they add a cheap rope jungle gym, a tiny stage with a couple characters- and absolutely zero theming.
Six Flag's newer "Bugs Bunny Boomtown" they've added to a few of their parks the last 3 years or so Is better.

Not saying it won't be "ok" as far as marketing goes- but it certainly isn't a major addition by any stretch unless they plan on completely changing it.

I really hope this isn't just a Happy Harbor overlay. Build the actual damn street and have the characters there to interact with and everything!

I would hope that they take all the best things from Sesame Place and then plus it as well as add things to it. Sesame Place won't take attendance away from Universal or Disney but I do think it will take attendance away from Legoland.

Before false infrkmation becomes accepted, Manby already stated that it would not be a simple overlay like a t the other parks. I'd expect something between the other parks and the main portion of Sesame Place.

That's a lot of guests. And a lot of potential to increase their share.

They've been trending downward for years now (top 20? used to be top 5). And as I explained above, the competition is only going to get fiercer, at the same days number of available vacation days decreases. There's also potential to increase their share of guests, but see no evidence of a "a lot" of it.

SWO went after a group of patrons who, I'm sure they were warned or should have known, are not as loyal as they seem and are also cheap.

I always joked that the only reason I bought an AP was the free beer. Apparently everybody else wasn't joking.

I think people underestimate the draw of the kids area in SeaWorld. Many local parents love bringing their kids to Happy Harbor because when it comes down to it many kids want to ride generic spinning rides over and over. Yes, kids love Disney and Universal's themed attractions, but notice the biggest lines many times are for the spinners (Dumbo, etc.). Kids love that stuff.

I know when my nieces have come to visit and we do all the parks (WDW/UO/SWO/BGT) they may love the princesses and immersive attractions, but they love to ride the little coasters and the spinning rides at BGT and SWO just as much.

Enhancing the kids area and updating it with Sesame Street is a smart move.

I think people underestimate the draw of the kids area in SeaWorld. Many local parents love bringing their kids to Happy Harbor because when it comes down to it many kids want to ride generic spinning rides over and over. Yes, kids love Disney and Universal's themed attractions, but notice the biggest lines many times are for the spinners (Dumbo, etc.). Kids love that stuff.

I know when my nieces have come to visit and we do all the parks (WDW/UO/SWO/BGT) they may love the princesses and immersive attractions, but they love to ride the little coasters and the spinning rides at BGT and SWO just as much.
And nets! Kids I know love climbing around through the nets courses at Happy Harbor, Sesame Street Busch Gardens, and Camp Jurassic. Nets are where it's at!

Before false infrkmation becomes accepted, Manby already stated that it would not be a simple overlay like a t the other parks. I'd expect something between the other parks and the main portion of Sesame Place.

That may be what was said, but a lot of things are often said by higher ups that do not come to fruition in any company. The earliest this will likely occur is for 2020 with Infinity Falls in 2018 and One Ocean changing over in 2019. A lot can happen in the next couple of years. It will be nice if they really do make it look spectacular and hope it will be beter than the others (currently) ...but I'm not going to hold my breath for it.

I do like how the Sesame Street area at BGT is. The one at BGW? Not so much. Odd since it was from the ground up.

Is this from trainers in the park or other sources at the park? I have yet to hear this one. Interesting. Amazing how SeaWorld built their business on these animals and pretty much now they wish they were gone now. Sad to me.
I wish people would understand their own businesses more, and that not everything you here from the media is true. I have a personal friend who was a performer for Ringling Bros. Circus and she said they took care of their animals really well. If a business takes care of their animals well, don't force them out.

I wish people would understand their own businesses more, and that not everything you here from the media is true. I have a personal friend who was a performer for Ringling Bros. Circus and she said they took care of their animals really well. If a business takes care of their animals well, don't force them out.

It makes now sense for any zoo, circus, aquarium or any other business built around animals not to give them top notch care. Their lively hoods are built around the well being of these animals. Unfortunately most people are sheep and believe whatever they are told. It doesn't help when you have groups like PETA who think that all animals are better off dead then being in captivity. They make their voices heard and unfortunately people listen.