SeaWorld Orlando's Future Plans | Page 43 | Inside Universal Forums

SeaWorld Orlando's Future Plans

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Orlando always comes down to the value of the land. The park is worth nothing to someone like Universal, but the land is worth a fortune. Unlike the land on the Lockheed site that I believe still needs a lot of environmental remediation (contaminated soil) and has people suing to stop Universal from building a park there, the SeaWorld property is already zoned as a theme park and has the utilities and other infrastructure required. I believe the size of the SeaWorld land is also larger than the property on Universal Boulevard. When you look at the maps and satellite images it appears that the land SeaWorld owns is about the size of IoA and USF put together.

I agree here--it's hard to overstate how important having land zoned for theme park use is. What were orange groves in the 70s and 80s are now housing subdivisions filled with retirees who hate the idea of people having fun and love to sue. Just look at the issues the Artegon development has had over the years. And if nothing else, SWO has that, a parking lot, utilities, some buildings you could reuse (say, the coffee shop or front of the park Emporium). Maybe could even keep coasters, shark encounter. Not to mention a turn-key water park (only potential issue there would be the Commies) and maybe even keep the botique park next door. Buying SWO the easiest way to break into the Orlando theme park market.

That said, the land around it has definitely transformed over past decade. Now higher-end residential. I'm sure a lot of condo-builders wouldn't mind getting that prime 528/I-4 land as well. And they will certainly pay for it. To me, it's almost 50/50. Maybe 60/40 it stays a theme park.

I think that if the Busch parks are sold off it will hurt both BGT and SeaWorld Orlando more than anyone realizes with so much cross traffic between local passholders and tourists with multi park tickets. I think if Merlin is really buying the BG parks they should also buy SeaWorld Orlando as well just to keep that synergy.

Have to disagree here, I've seen zero evidence of this. I have plenty of SWO team member friends and HHN superfan friends and I could count the number who have been to HoS on one hand. Even fewer visit the park during the day. Never hear tourists bring it up. And my few visits there always suggested to me it's Tampa's regional park more than any sort of extension of the Orlando market. Whatever they do to BGT should have zero effect on Orlando matters.

Everyone is forgetting Sea World is pretty much it's own District here in South Orange County. The businesses, bus routes, hotels, and other commercial developments in specific boundaries and zones have to follow the "Sea World Look/branding". So if someone buys Sea World, there is a ton more than "Land Purchase" going on. Talking about re-naming, theming, designing, structuring an entire theme park district, which wouldnt be hard but may be costly to the people and services around Sea World.

Have to disagree here, I've seen zero evidence of this. I have plenty of SWO team member friends and HHN superfan friends and I could count the number who have been to HoS on one hand. Even fewer visit the park during the day. Never hear tourists bring it up. And my few visits there always suggested to me it's Tampa's regional park more than any sort of extension of the Orlando market. Whatever they do to BGT should have zero effect on Orlando matters.

Here's how I always viewed it. Being in Orlando, working at all the parks and other places in this industry, people think of Tampa as it's own city but Busch Gardens as a very far far away Orlando theme park. From the tourist area one can drive to Busch Gardens in 50 minutes or so. The same timing to the east coast beaches which in general are their own metro but wouldn't have as much business as they do without Orlando. Not saying Busch Gardens needs Orlando but to say it isn't a feeder, I think isn't accurate.

Then you take people from Tampa. Busch Gardens is their local six flags. Same for the people in Orlando. Sea World is Sea World, Busch Gardens is where you go when you want full thrills. Sea World has the potential to be that even without the live animals or animal themes. Many tourist go to Tampa areas for shows, beaches. Not necessarily Busch Gardens stand alone. But if they are here purely for parks or an extra set of days to explore another area of Central Florida, Busch Gardens gets mentioned.

I also think the free shuttle to Busch Gardens from Orlando makes it that much easier for someone to consider Busch Gardens an Orlando extension. Just my two cents.

I like each parks on their own, but for Orlando's sake, Universal and Disney will never build anything tall and fast like Sea World which is cool by all means, as many have stated, sea world should snatch that market up and put a place like FunSpot #2 for "Orlando's Local Thrill Adventure"

If you could redesign Seaworld Orlando as a whole, what would you add/what would you take out of the park?
For starters, I'm taking all animals out. (They don't bother me but we're trying to make money).

Next, I'm building a parking garage, massive parking garage with an entrance/exit to the 528 (I'm dreaming but Sea World needs more direct access IMO due to Central Florida ParkWay, Sea Harbor, and Westwood are all two laned avenues that barely handle the traffic flow). Also this allows for some parking lot to be expanded, New Entrance or entrances and just more space. If you're going to rebrand, go all out. Re-Structure the infrastructure.

After that, name change, new look, design logo, and theme park thesis. Sea World stood for something people stop respecting after a film came out bashing that mission statement. Create a new, build a new history with a different vision and make your outlook clear to your market. Universal and Disney along with Six Flags do that very well to their targeted market.

Lastly, GO-ALL-OUT. Do not hold back. No city limits for Sea World! The county tends to be a bit more lenient.
MAKO, MANTA, AND NEW RIVER RAPIDS ARE THE ONLY ATTRACTION I KEEP. AFTER THAT, anything goes. Start fresh. Hire some people who are creative and haven't had the chance to prove it yet. Take that risk. It's Orlando.
But do not forget the children. Build one themed hotel to whatever the new outlook is on propety (even if botique) and help people view the outlook as a "destination" but not a "stop by if we have time".

Fun Spot is a destination. Maybe not the first 5 options but if one decides to go to fun spot it's not because they had extra time. It's because their budget let them plan to do so, or it's the first thing they saw before getting off of I-4 (New Grand National Overpass really helps with FunSpots (See it with your eyes) branding).

Last edited by a moderator:
If you could redesign Seaworld Orlando as a whole, what would you add/what would you take out of the park?

I would stop with the rides and more than likely take them all out. I will bring SeaWorld back to the unique place it was. Every animal habitat will get major upgrades. Think blue world like but for all the habitats. Bigger and more natural looking. Large under water viewing areas. Would also make the rescue area of the park more of a walk through tour so you can see first hand the rescue work that takes place. No upcharges to see the rescue facilities I want to bring the people to it to see what the SeaWorld team does.

Every awareness day that there is I would make sure SeaWorld takes full advantage of it. When it is World Penguin day or something at SeaWorld we would turn it into world penguin week and highlight the penguins, have a festival like atmosphere penguin themed and while having all this fun really capture the spirit of learning about the penguins etc. Education stations, games, TV screens playing rescues SeaWorld did etc.

I would make sure that the education team in the park are fully trained and knowing what they are talking about. Have education out in full force in the park seeking out guest contact and answering questions. I would also have the animal ambassador team out with the animals on the pathways so guests can see the unique animals up-close and learn more what they can do to make a difference in their lives. Before shows have a pre show like they do at Sea Lion high talking about how they train the animals, why the training is important etc and maybe highlight a rescue mission or two.

This is just some of my opinions what could make SeaWorld pop. Get it back to its roots

Reactions: Journey_On
^That's a great way to put SeaWorld out of business, turn it into something that you can find at basically every metropolitan area in the country.

Seriously? Where do you see these ideas at? Building it up with rides and roller coasters isn't like every metropolitan area in the country then?

What makes you think that turning it into a basic-b**** aquarium is going to somehow save the business? Ever wonder why Discovery Cove does so well? It's completely experience based - in fact, I'd dare to say it was 20 years ahead of its time when it opened.

That's the irony of it all... SeaWorld was the early adopter, not Disney or Universal. Now you have both theme park giants not only building new attractions, but also building themed lands, themed food, themed merch, and soon... themed accommodations to support these experiences. What is SeaWorld up to? Kraken VR, Latin music festivals, and arguing with SJWs about animal captivity.

More families are visiting Orlando on vacation packages than ever before. Gone are the days where admissions and hotel rooms were sold separately. In just a few years time both Universal and Disney will begin to capitalize on experience-based accommodations. People are running out of time in their Orlando vacations to visit places like SeaWorld.

I just identified their problem - now it's up to them to come up with a solution. Clearly, lightly themed hyper coasters and virtual reality overlays aren't the answer.

Just have it like BGT but with a Nautical theme. As for the animal parts, make them richer, and get rid of silly upcharge stuff as they have in Dolphin Cove, and have everything very natural and flowing. Focus on good rides and design them with aesthetics in mind, the way BGT does. Sometimes I find it hard to believe BGT is the same company, because the coasters there are just so much better qua aesthetics.

As for infrastructure, as someone else mentioned, better parking is a must. Seaworld owns a lot of free land next to Aquatica, build a large parking structure there and a walkway to cross Idrive, this would mean they'd need a new entrance as well. The new parking would serve both Seaworld and Aquatica, and most of the old parking space would then be available for park expansion.

Also, if they feel the need to have rides that involve screens, then at least have decent screens. In both Turtle Trek and Antarctica you can see the seams of the screens, and in the former, the placement of the projectors, detracts horribly from the experience.

I also would keep up with festivals, the Seven Seas was, I think, quite a hit, and for a change there was good food.

I know some say new rides are clearly not helping, but I don't think that is accurate; the problem is they are still lacking in rides, hence they need to get it together and build more rides, so that they can become a more full fledged park. And not just coasters, but other rides as well; as Disneyhead once remarked, have a boardwalk type area with more traditional flat rides. A family coaster would be nice as well, either a Mack spinner like Cobra's Curse, or a Mack launch like SD's Manta.

Reactions: StarTrekGeek
I'd carry on what they're doing but at an accelerated pace. I don't think they can afford a rotating 'major' and a 'minor' addition at this stage. They need a major addition each year...but when they do so it needs to be well thought out and good value.

Just have it like BGT but with a Nautical theme. As for the animal parts, make them richer, and get rid of silly upcharge stuff as they have in Dolphin Cove, and have everything very natural and flowing. Focus on good rides and design them with aesthetics in mind, the way BGT does. Sometimes I find it hard to believe BGT is the same company, because the coasters there are just so much better qua aesthetics.

As for infrastructure, as someone else mentioned, better parking is a must. Seaworld owns a lot of free land next to Aquatica, build a large parking structure there and a walkway to cross Idrive, this would mean they'd need a new entrance as well. The new parking would serve both Seaworld and Aquatica, and most of the old parking space would then be available for park expansion.

Also, if they feel the need to have rides that involve screens, then at least have decent screens. In both Turtle Trek and Antarctica you can see the seams of the screens, and in the former, the placement of the projectors, detracts horribly from the experience.

I also would keep up with festivals, the Seven Seas was, I think, quite a hit, and for a change there was good food.

I know some say new rides are clearly not helping, but I don't think that is accurate; the problem is they are still lacking in rides, hence they need to get it together and build more rides, so that they can become a more full fledged park. And not just coasters, but other rides as well; as Disneyhead once remarked, have a boardwalk type area with more traditional flat rides. A family coaster would be nice as well, either a Mack spinner like Cobra's Curse, or a Mack launch like SD's Manta.
Having a boardwalk area replace the walkway that's on the backside of Shamu Stadium on the water would be a great decision. Place the rides on the land and put the walkway on a boardwalk over the water. It'd add a lot of attractions and give an area where the carnival games more or less fit. It should be a boardwalk area with a more nautical and steampunk feel though, and include at least 1 dark ride.

Actually, they could use the Wild Arctic show building for the new dark ride, and use retheme Mango Joe's as the restaurant for the new area.

If SeaWorld is forced to become a regional chain, Discovery Cove doesn't fit with that at all. Discovery Cove was meant to be a high-end boutique park with a high price tag. In many ways, the new Star Wars hotel is basically Disney's version of Discovery Cove.

I don't expect a long or fruitful life for Discovery Cove as it stands.

If SeaWorld is forced to become a regional chain, Discovery Cove doesn't fit with that at all. Discovery Cove was meant to be a high-end boutique park with a high price tag. In many ways, the new Star Wars hotel is basically Disney's version of Discovery Cove.

I don't expect a long or fruitful life for Discovery Cove as it stands.
Discovery Cove is definetely staying! That park is higher rated than any of their other parks. I would think Aquatica or SWO would go before it does.

I would stop with the rides and more than likely take them all out. I will bring SeaWorld back to the unique place it was. Every animal habitat will get major upgrades. Think blue world like but for all the habitats. Bigger and more natural looking. Large under water viewing areas. Would also make the rescue area of the park more of a walk through tour so you can see first hand the rescue work that takes place. No upcharges to see the rescue facilities I want to bring the people to it to see what the SeaWorld team does.

Every awareness day that there is I would make sure SeaWorld takes full advantage of it. When it is World Penguin day or something at SeaWorld we would turn it into world penguin week and highlight the penguins, have a festival like atmosphere penguin themed and while having all this fun really capture the spirit of learning about the penguins etc. Education stations, games, TV screens playing rescues SeaWorld did etc.

I would make sure that the education team in the park are fully trained and knowing what they are talking about. Have education out in full force in the park seeking out guest contact and answering questions. I would also have the animal ambassador team out with the animals on the pathways so guests can see the unique animals up-close and learn more what they can do to make a difference in their lives. Before shows have a pre show like they do at Sea Lion high talking about how they train the animals, why the training is important etc and maybe highlight a rescue mission or two.

This is just some of my opinions what could make SeaWorld pop. Get it back to its roots
Sea world is declining because animal shows are no longer a big draw. This is why circuses are closing. Things like blackish only accelerated the inevitable or brought attention to the decline. Cirque du soleil saw this coming years ago and built a brand off of human acrobatics and technology, which has been a disney staple for years.

Sea world is declining because animal shows are no longer a big draw. This is why circuses are closing. Things like blackish only accelerated the inevitable or brought attention to the decline. Cirque du soleil saw this coming years ago and built a brand off of human acrobatics and technology, which has been a disney staple for years.
Only show I use to do a lot at SW was A'lure.

Reactions: Andysol
I would redo all the animal exhibits. I would take the Blue World concept and apply it to all of the animal exhibits. I would make the tanks as big as possible and give each exhibit underwater viewing similar to Shark Encounter. To help offset the costs each exhibit would have its own Sharks Underwater Grill style restaurant and themed gift shop. After this I would redo Wild Arctic and add a couple of high quality dark rides. I also would make sure that I don't take the cheap way out when it comes to Sesame Place. I would also keep the Dolphin Stadium and try to develop a Cirque du Soleil style show for it. My end result would be to make SeaWorld like the National Harbor but with world class rides.