Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Splash Mountain Re-Theme

Status
Not open for further replies.
But do they prefer the “ride” or do the prefer the “music.”

Look at Mission: Breakout and Tower of Terror.When it was announced, there was a lot of “they’re going to ruin the ride.” But the “ride” didn’t change. The story did. Now, the argument against changing Orlando’s ToT is that it doesn’t need it because it has the better ride system. Suddenly, when the theme proves replaceable, the ride system becomes the focus.

Themes are all a matter of preference, which is fine. But that’s all they are. Themeless flumes are popular because it’s a fun ride system. The Splash ride layout, and the Dudley ride layout (since it was brought up), would be great rides without any theming. To look at theming as the only essence of a ride disregards the actual ride part.

The ride itself isn’t changing in a retheme.

I think when people are talking about "the ride," they're talking about the total experience of the attraction, not simply a ride system.

And I'd argue that, in a theme park, the theming of an attraction is enormously important. And if people don't care about that, there are plenty of amusement parks that will offer them less-themed attractions at a lower price point.

It’s also the exception to the rule.

I can name 10 rethemes they’ve completely botched or did half assed.
Using the exception as an example is disregarding what is much more likely to happen and what has been shown to us time and time again.

1) Your opinion always matters, regardless of the topic. You may not have an experience, but you have a brain, as well as the ability to analyze what others are saying and form an opinion on any subject matter. But that’s beside the point.

Who draws the line of how many people it takes to offend before we make a decision. 10 people? 20? And if white people dont get a voice in this scenario, then how many does it take? Because white Twitter is who is definitely making the most noise about it with only a minute amount of black people.
Its a non-issue for 99.99% of the black people coming into the parks.
Only disney nerds have any concept of what splash mountain is themed from. The message gets lost and more and more people turn away from progress when you start attacks on non-issues.
The majority of Americans can get behind the removal of a Pike statue. Not Splash mountain. That will turn off the majority of the country, completely illegitimatize the movement and then progress is stopped in its tracks.

Respectfully, I think we should agree to disagree. In a black movement, as a white person, all I can do is be an ally, I don’t believe my voice is the one that should be heard above the voices of those suffering. I don’t believe my enjoyment should come at the expense of other’s, so I support changing whatever needs to be changed in order for that to happen.

Respectfully, I think we should agree to disagree. In a black movement, as a white person, all I can do is be an ally, I don’t believe my voice is the one that should be heard above the voices of those suffering. I don’t believe my enjoyment should come at the expense of other’s, so I support changing whatever needs to be changed in order for that to happen.
First, you just expressed an opinion regarding how you should act when it comes to a black issue. And that opinion is valid.

It’s no different than a man having a say in an abortion policy in my eyes. My daughter is alive today because of a 24hr rule for an abortion written by a man in Louisiana. I’m confident my daughter is glad he had an opinion. His opinion may not be weighted as heavily, but I’m never going to tell someone their opinion is rendered invalid based on their race or gender.

But again, by what metric are we speaking? One person offended? Two? 20? 200? At what point does that decision get made? You cannot make a decision that will impact millions based on a single person’s offense. Or 2. I think we can all agree with that, no? So there should be a metric and that’s how the decision should be made.

Another follow-up: Does Jeff Vahle defer to whoever is the highest ranking black person in the parks division to make the final judgement since he is white? Of course not and I think most people would think that would be ludicrous; further proving why all opinions are valid.

Who draws the line of how many people it takes to offend before we make a decision. 10 people? 20? And if white people dont get a voice in this scenario, then how many does it take? Because white Twitter is who is definitely making the most noise about it with only a minute amount of black people.
Its a non-issue for 99.99% of the black people coming into the parks.
Only disney nerds have any concept of what splash mountain is themed from. The message gets lost and more and more people turn away from progress when you start attacks on non-issues.
The majority of Americans can get behind the removal of a Pike statue. Not Splash mountain. That will turn off the majority of the country, completely illegitimatize the movement and then progress is stopped in its tracks.
I think you’re overestimating the cultural significance of a theme park ride, and underestimating the unique confluence of awareness, passion, and stakes that are peaking after a couple hundred years of institutional suffering.

But, to your numbers question: the answer is - it shouldn’t matter. Some decisions can, and should, be made strictly on objective grounds regardless of the emotions of the masses. A lack of knowledge by the masses doesn’t excuse history or context. There is an argument that can be made that, because of the offensive nature of the source material, Splash Mountain should be rethemed. Despite Disney’s best efforts, Br’er Frog is still just a cartoon version of Uncle Remus. The Laughing Place, the Tar Baby and the Briar Patch, and the “Songs of the South” were still told by slaves on southern plantations and Disney is presenting them with cartoon animals and an on-ride photo. There are problems with that. Whether people know about those problems don’t erase them from existing.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.