Splash Mountain Re-Theme | Page 4 | Inside Universal Forums

Splash Mountain Re-Theme

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder if they could eliminate "Enchanted Tales with Belle" and put in a PatF ride there. I'd prefer a boat ride as the ride system choice. The sightlines to Beast's castle atop "Be Our Guest are one of the casualties. They could make the ride two levels with a small drop, similar to PotC, and thus keep the footprint efficient. I haven't been able to fit the theme into that area, though. It would work perfectly in Disneyland near New Orleans Square but WDW's Magic Kingdom doesn't have a New Orleans area. Even Liberty Square is an odd fit. The other potential would be to theme the exterior to either a swamp or a mansion with a manicured garden.
I mean, it’s a fairytale, so it can work in Fantasyland. I would prefer if PatF had its own mini New Orleans section with an D/E-ticket where Storybook Circus is located as I think that would be a better use of space. Just tear all the junk out and start building. And no, I don’t think it would be a travesty to lose dumbo since it’s a spinner.

Not to complain but you left out Donald Duck. Some of his cartoons would be considered highly controversial by today's standards. He worked as a bomb assembler in (a dream version of) Nutzy Germany, fought against stereotypical Japanese snipers somewhere in Asia, and was nearly eaten by stereotypical cannibals.
Very true...

but at least Donald doesn’t have his own ride or show...and isn’t the iconic main character for Disney.
There are quite a few questionable shorts, movies, etc from the early days that could really rile some people up.

Not to complain but you left out Donald Duck. Some of his cartoons would be considered highly controversial by today's standards. He worked as a bomb assembler in (a dream version of) Nutzy Germany, fought against stereotypical Japanese snipers somewhere in Asia, and was nearly eaten by stereotypical cannibals.
Walt Disney was, unfortunately, a pretty big racist - or at the very least glorified it through art. We can’t wipe this history (and it’s not like most American white guys weren’t back then). We just have to learn from it.

People looking to get offended are always going to find SOMETHING. The only WDW park that off the top of my head doesn't have SOMETHING that could offend someone is DHS. At least half of each of the other three parks contain some depiction of a different culture and/or historical overtones that connect with something unsavory.

Reactions: SkiBum
I mean, it’s a fairytale, so it can work in Fantasyland. I would prefer if PatF had its own mini New Orleans section with an D/E-ticket where Storybook Circus is located as I think that would be a better use of space. Just tear all the junk out and start building. And no, I don’t think it would be a travesty to lose dumbo since it’s a spinner.

That's a great spot, in my opinion. Take out all those circus tents and build a nice area up for the ride. Goofy's coaster could be rethemed to the lightning bug, Ray, leave Dumbo alone, and add Tiana's restaurant back there as well.

That's a great spot, in my opinion. Take out all those circus tents and build a nice area up for the ride. Goofy's coaster could be rethemed to the lightning bug, Ray, leave Dumbo alone, and add Tiana's restaurant back there as well.
Dumbo the THE castle park attraction icon. All castle parks will always have a Dumbo.

Last edited:
I've had a feeling ever since the auction redo in POTC that a Splash re-theme would be next on the list. I personally think Splash does a fairly good job of removing the troubling aspects of Song of the South (aka most of the movie), but completely understand those that take issue with it. If they do decide to go forward with it, a Princess and the Frog re-theme for DL and a Country Bears re-theme for MK could be pretty fantastic if done right, but given Disney's recent track record, we'll probably get something slap dash with no thematic cohesion like a Zootopia overlay...

Reactions: SkiBum
Dumb the THE castle park attraction icon. All castle parks will always have a Dumbo.

I agree with keeping Dumbo in place. It's the Storybook Circus area that could be taken out to make room for Princess and the Frog. However, we know that Disney will not do this and will not spend the money to do this.

The Nutzyland cartoon is In der fuehrer's face. It was a propaganda cartoon created for and paid by the US Government during WWII. I use this cartoon in my classroom when we learn about propaganda during WWII, and we talk about the racist depictions of Hirohito and Mussolini.

It even won an academy award! It is an amazing snapshot of American History

It even won an academy award! It is an amazing snapshot of American History
Yeah, and Suicide Squad, Alice in Wonderland (2010), How The Grinch Stole Christmas (2000) and Earthquake also won Academy Awards. Sometimes you just win an Oscar due to lack of competition. In 1942, winning best Animated Short Film was hardly something Walt Disney had a tough time doing, as he had virtually no competition.

You do have to respect a duck that has put on a shirt for the last 86 years, but always leaves home without a set of pants.

If that doesn’t scream America to you, idk what does.
Reminds me of a joke I have been working on.

Me (at MK with a heat index of 106°F): "This mask is making me uncomfortable. I'm taking it off!"

Me (after removing mask, still 106° heat index): "These pants are making me uncomfortable..."

People looking to get offended are always going to find SOMETHING. The only WDW park that off the top of my head doesn't have SOMETHING that could offend someone is DHS. At least half of each of the other three parks contain some depiction of a different culture and/or historical overtones that connect with something unsavory.

Have you listened to BIPOC discussion on the topic? Because this isn't the take, fam.

Question, has anyone here seen Song of the South?
I'm one of the few people that actually has seen it! Questionable stuff aside it's an alright film.

Now what I think about the offensive material I will hold off on that as I don't want to drive this thread off the rails. I'll just say it was different standards for a different time.

Reactions: belloq87
Question, has anyone here seen Song of the South?
Yeah. You have to jump through some hoops to get it, but yeah. It’s obviously a different time so you have to take that into account, but this type of stuff romanticized the civil war era and potentially hurt race relations because of it. Now I wasn’t around to know if it did, but it certainly couldn’t have been helpful.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.