Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Tiana's Bayou Adventure (Opening Late 2024)

You’re comparing apples to oranges in regards to the discussion of Splash Mountain.

Jaws, the film, has done way more for Universal than the Harry Potter films, simply because HP isn’t Universal. Both are strong IPs to present in a theme park.

Song of the South has done more to damage Disney. Its presence in the parks was inappropriate from the start, although widely loved (even by myself). PatF will undoubtedly do more for the parks and Disney as a company with its conversion to PatF.

Jaws was simply a good business move due to cost and foot print.
Back in the day yes, but Jaws as an IP now is not that strong. I'm sure in one year of HP stuff sold more than the entire 30 years of Jaws in parks. Wands are like almost 100 bucks and butter beers always have a line.

Without HP the theme parks are second rate and I'm guessing park of the reason Nintendo even did a partnership with Universal is because of how well Universal has done with the HP rights (hell better then the Original creator/WB with the new movies even)

But it makes sense that besides the rush of people buying up Splash stuff, normally its fine IP but nothing big any more (like Jaws) and you have Princess in the Frog which if that film was released today would be HUGE...sadly it was released after 10 years of Disney making meh animated films.
But like the ToT retheme (which I feel is not even half as good as what Splashes retheme will be) it's going to give the ride a second life...yes it's crowded during the summer but many nights while other rides have long lines Splash (on the west coast at least) normally doesn't but think the retheme for years will keep it bust 24/7.

I'm under the impression that both mountains are scheduled to go down and come up around the same time. Also, as much as I would think that this was designed for DL and is being adapted to MK, I have been given reason to think it is the other way around.

Also, for better or worse, this is going to be the first modern dark ride put in MK using Disney's current "tricks of the trade" (Mermaid came on the end of the last era of WDI that started around the time that Pooh showed up). It will feel different than Splash does currently, but what I've seen of the attraction gives me hope.

Josh D'Amaro speaks on the matter:

"We actually have been working on it for well over a year. In fact, I was a part of those conversations over a year ago. Listen, our stories evolve all the time. I mean, back from when Walt started Disneyland back in 1955, he stated that if we would continue to evolve our stories, that they're never ending, that they'll always be contemporary. And I think that that's what you're seeing with Splash Mountain.

I keep using the same word, but I'm really proud of this team and what we're doing on this front. I think Splash Mountain, no doubt, is a sacred attraction to many of our guests. And I think you're going to love what we're doing in making the attraction even more contemporary.
"

Make if it what you will. It is somewhat telling that -- every time they need to justify making a change -- they drag out some variation of something Walt Disney said once (in contexts that aren't really reflective of what he likely meant).

The "you're going to love what's coming" is the standard operating procedure when talking about replacing a beloved attraction (I still remember Universal's statement announcing Jaws was going away, and it was very similar). But if "making it more contemporary" means significantly fewer animatronics, it's going to be difficult for me to "love" it.
Potter will be a flop, calling it now

Also, for better or worse, this is going to be the first modern dark ride put in MK using Disney's current "tricks of the trade".

So a small handful of animatronics and lots of projected media.

It will feel different than Splash does currently, but what I've seen of the attraction gives me hope.

I'm assuming you're not at liberty to share what gives you hope, but would you say the end result is going to be closer to current Splash Mountain or, say, Na'vi River Journey?

Meet in the middle.
tenor.gif

I'm going to try to hope for the best...

It's still going to be a shame to see another old-school AA showcase go down.

Not even rides on the chopping block can escape the Chapek Curse!

“Please keep your arms and legs inside the sinking boat at all times. Thanks!...Mantenga siempre los brazos y las piernas dentro del barco que se está hundiendo. Gracias!”

Last edited:
I know this person was just doing their job, but at a certain point, common sense comes into play. I've been in situations with guests as a frontline worker and i've totally bypassed protocol sometimes because in certain situations, such as this one, following "standard operating procedures" just becomes stupid and not only makes no sense, but it makes YOU look stupid and makes the guest mad.

I know this person was just doing their job, but at a certain point, common sense comes into play. I've been in situations with guests as a frontline worker and i've totally bypassed protocol sometimes because in certain situations, such as this one, following "standard operating procedures" just becomes stupid and not only makes no sense, but it makes YOU look stupid and makes the guest mad.
I hope the CM doesn't get in toruble....I'm sure they were doing what they were trained/told to this is on Disney rather than the person. They most likely didn't want to get fired and its sad but true you can get fired over doing the right thing over what you are told to do

I hope the CM doesn't get in toruble....I'm sure they were doing what they were trained/told to this is on Disney rather than the person. They most likely didn't want to get fired and its sad but true you can get fired over doing the right thing over what you are told to do
Oh that's true but the threat of that only entices me more :lol: