Tiana's Bayou Adventure (Opening Summer 2024) | Page 32 | Inside Universal Forums

Tiana's Bayou Adventure (Opening Summer 2024)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I think i was well worth my 30 min. It is important to recognize the impact of Tiana and the culture of New Orleans. Most of Disney Princesses are Eurocentric and Tiana is a very American example of bringing the American experience to the movies and theme parks. Tiana is one of the best Disney animation offerings and is overdue for the spotlight.

not to get into this, but I don't think Tiana had as large of an impact as they are implying here. PATF was still one of the least successful Disney animated films. Sadly.

New Orleans has been part of Disney parks since DL.

Like I said, I realize it's a giant marketing piece, but it comes off as one. Just a little heavy handed. That's all.

Reactions: Freak
not to get into this, but I don't think Tiana had as large of an impact as they are implying here. PATF was still one of the least successful Disney animated films. Sadly.

New Orleans has been part of Disney parks since DL.

Like I said, I realize it's a giant marketing piece, but it comes off as one. Just a little heavy handed. That's all.
It's insane to me how many underutilized films Disney has yet to incorporate into their parks...like really good ones

I think PatF is one of those films that just works in this implementation. I also think it does better on merch than it ever would upon initial release

Swamp cupcakes for all!

Reactions: OhHaiInternet95
It's hard to believe the company's love for the film is anything but retroactive when they pivoted hard towards a new marketing strategy (there's a reason Tangled isn't called Rapunzel) and shuttered the 2D feature division after it's underperformance

It's hard to believe the company's love for the film is anything but retroactive when they pivoted hard towards a new marketing strategy (there's a reason Tangled isn't called Rapunzel) and shuttered the 2D feature division after it's underperformance
Kinda True but also Disney was making crap for YEARS before POTF came out. Bolt came out the year before and was a step up from what they were doing but it took a few years before they got a big hit like Frozen and then hit a strive with Ralph, Zootopia and Moana.

Also Splash proves you dont need a big IP for a ride to have fans, is the ride fun and is it themed well is what people care about.

I just want them to make critter country into New Orleans and I'll be 100% fine with the change but that back land is being under utilized and some New Orleans flare would liven the place up.

Exactly my point! The "impact" this film had wasn't all that important to Disney until very recently.....

Of Course, part of the reason it didn't do that well was the audience had moved on to Pixar. It was also released the same time as another popular movie...Avatar.

Exactly my point! The "impact" this film had wasn't all that important to Disney until very recently.....

Of Course, part of the reason it didn't do that well was the audience had moved on to Pixar. It was also released the same time as another popular movie...Avatar.
Studios let so many movies fail based on the antiquated belief that movies could still succeed against heavyweight titles because they targeted different demographics, even though the movies they were up against were meant for everyone.

See also, Winnie the Pooh coming out the same day as the final Harry Potter movie, or Treasure Planet coming behind...a Harry Potter movie.

You could also argue that Disney's desire to aesthetically differentiate Disney Animation and Pixar led Disney Animation to pursue aesthetically traditional projects for their 2D projects kneecapped their appeal(seriously, why make Winnie the Pooh in the year 2011)

Reactions: GA-MBIT
(seriously, why make Winnie the Pooh in the year 2011)
Because Pooh merch outsells Mickey merch on a global scale, it tested well with college age kids audiences at the time, it was an attempt to salvage the 2D animation department by picking a "can't fail" property, and because Walt was always a fan of Pooh so it was sort of a passion project of Lasseter.

You guys are barking at all the wrong reasons why the movie wasn't a huge success. Sure, those things you guys said played a part (Although Avatar not really as it came out a month prior). The big reason was because marketing botched it and became the reason why future princess movies (Tangled, Frozen) had more unique names than the work they were based on. It was widely thought that simply because "princess" was in the title of the film, that automatically turned a subset of people off from caring to see the film, specifically males as they didn't show up for the movie like a Disney animation or Pixar film.

Reactions: Nico
I had a dream they were making this Alice in Wondermountain with purple water...and now I'm kind of sad we don't have an Alice dark ride/attraction that's good

I need to stop checking this thread before bed

As far as Princess in The Frog, I think it is much more appreciated now than it was at the time

You guys are barking at all the wrong reasons why the movie wasn't a huge success. Sure, those things you guys said played a part (Although Avatar not really as it came out a month prior). The big reason was because marketing botched it and became the reason why future princess movies (Tangled, Frozen) had more unique names than the work they were based on. It was widely thought that simply because "princess" was in the title of the film, that automatically turned a subset of people off from caring to see the film, specifically males as they didn't show up for the movie like a Disney animation or Pixar film.
The Princess and the Frog came out on December 11, 2009 in the States, and Avatar came out on December 18th. I also mentioned the marketing strategy, so who are you referring to when you say you guys?

The Princess and the Frog came out on December 11, 2009 in the States, and Avatar came out on December 18th. I also mentioned the marketing strategy, so who are you referring to when you say you guys?
I guess I didn't remember the movie coming out so late. It's a weird release date because it's not like Disney (by that time) hadn't figured out that opening over Thanksgiving was a recipe for lasting success. My fault.

wasn't PatF hand animated? I seem to recall thinking at the time that it was a shame it wasn't doing well as hand drawn seemed like a dying art.
Yup, and then the next hand-drawn film they did, which is also the last hand-drawn feature film that Disney has done, was also screwed over just 2 years later when they opened Winnie The Pooh against Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2 for some stupid reason.

I really think they just wanted to be able to point to PatF and Pooh as box office failures and then it would justify to the shareholders or (anyone that would question them on it) why they no longer make hand-drawn films, which was something they were already moving away from anyway.

Reactions: Frank Drackman
Yup, and then the next hand-drawn film they did, which is also the last hand-drawn feature film that Disney has done, was also screwed over just 2 years later when they opened Winnie The Pooh against Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2 for some stupid reason.

I really think they just wanted to be able to point to PatF and Pooh as box office failures and then it would justify to the shareholders or (anyone that would question them on it) why they no longer make hand-drawn films, which was something they were already moving away from anyway.

That was how I felt when PatF was not doing well, I just figured Disney wanted the animation dept to fail. I hadn't realized they did Pooh after that (have not seen it). But i do feel marketing did not get behind PatF as the movie should have done much better in its initial release (my opinion).

Sorry if this has already been brought up, but I really hope if this thing ever happens that we do not lose the Splash Mountain name for something like "Bayou Falls: The Stories of the Princess and the Frog." It would really stink in my option to lose a mountain name.

Reactions: Coasted and Freak
Sorry if this has already been brought up, but I really hope if this thing ever happens that we do not lose the Splash Mountain name for something like "Bayou Falls: The Stories of the Princess and the Frog." It would really stink in my option to lose a mountain name.

@Ryan might be able to correct me, but in a more recent book about WDI, they specifically went into the PaTF retheme; and that the name of Splash Mountian might be kept in some way (but I could be wrong on that).

Reactions: MikePat