Stay and Scream Locations? | Inside Universal Forums

Stay and Scream Locations?

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Jul 21, 2017
first time going this year...I was planning to do stay and scream one of the nights in the Simpsons area, but I just read that the restaurants aren't open at this time. Is this true? Are you not able to sit down and eat during the change over to HHN?

Is Finnegans the only place to have a bite to eat during the change over?

What about Diagon Alley? I believe I saw that is a holding pen as well...is everything open during the change over?

first time going this year...I was planning to do stay and scream one of the nights in the Simpsons area, but I just read that the restaurants aren't open at this time. Is this true? Are you not able to sit down and eat during the change over to HHN?

What about Diagon Alley? I believe I saw that is a holding pen as well...is everything open during the change over?

Hey there!

Even though the "holding pen" is in the Simpsons area, you are waiting closer to the USF lagoon. They use the pathway to clear out the guests that are not staying. Diagon Alley was fully open last year, so if they do it again this year - DA and Finn's will be the only spot to relax and wait with drinks and food.

Hey there!

Even though the "holding pen" is in the Simpsons area, you are waiting closer to the USF lagoon. They use the pathway to clear out the guests that are not staying. Diagon Alley was fully open last year, so if they do it again this year - DA and Finn's will be the only spot to relax and wait with drinks and food.

I think the Duff Gardens at Simpsons is open, no?

Weirdly DA was open in 2015, but not 2016 for me and my group.

Last year Duff Gardens was open the entire time for the TCM SnS. However, when our group tried to wait in DA/London for Exorcist SnS we were told that the only option was to wait at Finn's. We decided not to, and it worked out cause we waited by Lucy/HK and got a good walkthrough of AHS. So I think the DA being open for SnS is not a sure thing?

Reactions: SeventyOne

Last year Duff Gardens was open the entire time for the TCM SnS. However, when our group tried to wait in DA/London for Exorcist SnS we were told that the only option was to wait at Finn's. We decided not to, and it worked out cause we waited by Lucy/HK and got a good walkthrough of AHS. So I think the DA being open for SnS is not a sure thing?

This is all conjecture on my part, but that may have had more to do with the house preps than the location.

My wife and I did an early run through Exorcist when it had just opened, and they seemed really unprepared. There were some lights that weren't on, and many SAs that were still getting in place.

I feel that it was one of the last houses to get fully prepped each night for whatever reason, so they couldn't use it as a S&S.

Long story short, with some of the lights being out, we had a ridiculously frightening run through, which included me trying to enter a boo hole by accident, only to be turned away by an emerging Regan.

Reactions: DaPankRanger

You do realize each SnS is for certain houses only, Diagon is all the way across the park from the Exorcist, so it would miss the point of SnS if you were to try that. I didn't go to last years event, so I dont know what house was for Diagon, but I would assume it was Lunatics Playground.

Reactions: JoeCamel
Whenever I did Simpson's they would let you be in either the ffb or duffs. They would stop the flow of people walking out and let people cross between the two on occasion and once the sweep line cleared the area they connected the two areas.

Whenever I did Simpson's they would let you be in either the ffb or duffs. They would stop the flow of people walking out and let people cross between the two on occasion and once the sweep line cleared the area they connected the two areas.

so they DID let you eat at FFB while waiting for the change over?

Last edited:
Reactions: Joel
So how does staying at a location during the change over work? Just show up in which ever area I want to stay in at 5:00pm and show that I have an HHN pass?

Do any of the areas ever get too full and not accept anyone at a certain point?

So how does staying at a location during the change over work? Just show up in which ever area I want to stay in at 5:00pm and show that I have an HHN pass?

Do any of the areas ever get too full and not accept anyone at a certain point?

Yes, starting around 4:00, they scan your ticket, give you a wristband, and let you into the roped off holding area. (Finns will generally have 3 people scanning, you enter by the Christmas shop--yes, it gets that busy.) If you are already in the area--say, at the bar--they will walk up to you soon after 5:00, scan your ticket with a handheld device, then give you a wristband.

I've never seen one close due to capacity, but I've been in Finns during holding when the building was obviously well over capacity. The walkways remain open as well, so not sure how you would even measure the legal capacity of the entire holding area. But I don't think they're counting anyway.

As mentioned above, Diagon was a holding area in 2015, was not last year. Probably related, Leaky Cauldron was open during the event in 2015, not last year. But keep in mind everything is subject to change the first couple weeks of the event. We might get a new holding area, or a traditional area might close.

One thing about eating at Finns--every table is filled, and it's hard for staff to navigate the crowd, so expect slower than typical service. If you sit anywhere close to 5, you will likely not be done with your check paid when houses open (5:45ish), defeating the whole purpose of Stay & Scream.

This is all conjecture on my part, but that may have had more to do with the house preps than the location.

My wife and I did an early run through Exorcist when it had just opened, and they seemed really unprepared. There were some lights that weren't on, and many SAs that were still getting in place.

I feel that it was one of the last houses to get fully prepped each night for whatever reason, so they couldn't use it as a S&S.

Long story short, with some of the lights being out, we had a ridiculously frightening run through, which included me trying to enter a boo hole by accident, only to be turned away by an emerging Regan.
It was just plain dark in there! I turned the wrong way 3 or 4 times (yeah I did S&S at Finn's) almost every time I went through.

Reactions: SeventyOne
You do realize each SnS is for certain houses only, Diagon is all the way across the park from the Exorcist, so it would miss the point of SnS if you were to try that. I didn't go to last years event, so I dont know what house was for Diagon, but I would assume it was Lunatics Playground.

My bad- it was probably for TWD not Exorcist. Whatever house we were trying to get into that was located in NY we weren't allowed to stay in DA, and I was disappointed that we wouldn't be able to sit around the fountain and cool off :(.

I want to say that sometime around 5:30 or 6, they'll boot you from FFB and across the path to Duff Gardens as they clear that section of the park.

It is, for a bit, I believe. Last time I was there, I seem to remember them eventually asking us to make our way to the holding area.

Everything I had heard before was that they were similar to the Kong vehicles, but smaller, with seating around 48. But that was a couple of years ago, so perhaps it changed. I can't see the attraction being only an apx. 2 minute experience (360 tunnel). But the pre shows from Hollywood were the weakest part of the attraction, so I hope they get replaced with different, changed & upgraded scenes/effects & some physical effects. And hopefully the 360 scene gets upgraded from the Hollywood version, like they did with Reign of Kong's 360 scene.

100% moe's Food court and duff gardens are both open during S&S and have been for at least the past 3 years (we only do Simpsons S&S). while the food is OK, you have 2 bars, a TON of space (never haven't been able to find a table) and hitting the parade building -> tent 1 -> tent 2 all within 15 minutes is unbeatable. Usually can get 2-3 rounds in before the crowds start showing up. We always bring in our own food (usually Red Oven Pizza from city walk) because the food is just the food court. also if you're doing S&S, the items that are prohibited from bringing in during HHN vs regular park hours are allowed since you're already in the park.

Springfield is my default for Stay and Scream. You can cross over between Duff Gardens and Fast Food Boulevard intermittently while they clear out the park, and then it just becomes one big area once that section of the park is clear. Usually we'd grab a Dufftoberfest at Duff Gardens first, and then cross over to Fast Food Boulevard and get something to eat there while we waited. What really annoyed me last year was that they decided to scale the menu way back once Stay and Scream started, meaning you couldn't get a bunch of the good stuff like the chicken and waffle sandwich.