Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

"The Repository" VR House

I did is Friday Night/Saturday Morning at 12:15 and the only way I can rate it is mixed. The actual show scenes in the house are amazing. I was blown away by the Entertainment department and thought the sets, and what they were doing was some of the coolest stuff I had seen at Halloween Horror Nights. My issue comes with the VR. Since the cat is out of the bag, I participated in the T.E.S.T. last year and really enjoyed what I saw there. A lot of the same tech was implemented at Repository but my audio did not work for almost 3/4 of the VR. Without having audio I felt like I was having a bust of an experience and missed out of effects. It was to the point where I escalated it to Guest Services.
This is pretty much identical to my feelings on it. I think it would have been much better without the VR just watching the actors go through the story. My audio also did not work, I didn't make much of an issue out of it since I couldn't see anything either and really the whole VR aspect just seemed like a distraction to the experience anyway.

Were they not using a backpack pc for the vr portion? It would be hard to believe they charged $50 and used something more like the phone vr version with better tracking. It sounds like they really screwed up the vr. I was expecting this to be similar to the ghostbusters VR experience. That got pretty great reviews apart from being short.

Were they not using a backpack pc for the vr portion? It would be hard to believe they charged $50 and used something more like the phone vr version with better tracking. It sounds like they really screwed up the vr. I was expecting this to be similar to the ghostbusters VR experience. That got pretty great reviews apart from being short.
They put everything on you pretty quickly so it's hard to get a pretty good look at it, but it's definitely more advanced than just the phone setups. I'm sure it's not used to its potential. You basically stand in one spot and look around you. You're in one small square shaped room for the duration of the VR portion.

The audio and visuals are sent to the VR unit from a remote PC, this is not a Galaxy VR sort of thing.

Ps2 graphics are more gear vr level which made me think it was all inside the headset. High end pc can look pretty good with vr. I wasn't aware they figured out wireless video with while tracking yet. Sounds like they may have xheaped out on actually making it look good from a software standpoint if they are using powerfull pcs.

I think it's an HTC Vive, but don't quote me on that.

As far as the experience fizzling, the way I saw it was that I paid $50 for it, which would get me into numerous smaller haunts, or even an off-peak HHN night as an AP holder. I'm not going to be okay with that sort of price and having a lackluster experience.

i got to try most vr headsets and the graphics on them arent usually high end more like late ps2 early ps3. Which is why oculus just put out a notice that a $500 pc can run vr with little issues.Although its still at-least 600 for the headset.

I have Vive. Resolution can still be higher but graphical quality can be really good with a high end PC if they do a good job in the software. I've played GTA V, Elite Dangerous, Arsetto Corsa, etc in Vive. They look good.

I've purposefully skipped to the end of this thread to avoid any spoilers or anything. My only question is, what is the consensus on this house? Is it worth paying the extra $50?
I regret doing it, and I would strongly suggest that anyone who considers doing it should reconsider. Universal should be embarrassed. I am embarrassed for them. Between this and Chance, not a good look.

FWIW, we did not receive an express pass.
That's not good. While it wasn't a big deal for me, it really helped offset some negative perceptions of the value. If anything based on feedback they probably should have added another.

Personally I don't regret doing this, but I think it would be more appropriately priced around $25-$30.

That's not good. While it wasn't a big deal for me, it really helped offset some negative perceptions of the value. If anything based on feedback they probably should have added another.

Personally I don't regret doing this, but I think it would be more appropriately priced around $25-$30.
Express pass, an alcoholic beverage, and a snack would improve perception of value immensely. I feel completely ripped off.

Express pass, an alcoholic beverage, and a snack would improve perception of value immensely. I feel completely ripped off.
Yeah, I was actually thinking a drink too. They put you in that room beforehand and the tent afterwards and try to sell you drinks. To me they could at least offer free soda, water and maybe cookies or something at the least. It feels a little strange to pay $50 for a 15 minute experience and then have them try to sell you drinks on top of that.

Yeah, I was actually thinking a drink too. They put you in that room beforehand and the tent afterwards and try to sell you drinks. To me they could at least offer free soda, water and maybe cookies or something at the least. It feels a little strange to pay $50 for a 15 minute experience and then have them try to sell you drinks on top of that.
I was hopeful for free snacks when I saw the candy...

I was hopeful for free snacks when I saw the candy...

Same. I figured alcohol wouldn't be free but NO free drinks or food made no sense. Hell have freaking chips, pretzels, and other light snacks. Offer a drink coupon or sell the drinks at cost. I don't agree with Mike on feeling ripped off but I don't think the value is there.

so based on everything I've heard, I'm thinking I'm going to skip this for the year. Maybe next year based on reviews....

Has anyone heard any rumblings about LT? I suspect this has taken its place since it requires a separate cast and area.

The Repository lanyard has LT on it, so I believe that this 'is' This year's LT.

It's been going on, but a lot of the stuff is posted in the lobby for The Repository. So it's happening, but it's kind of moot, but I think they're trying to do something that isn't Repository related.

On the note of the single use expresses, I was NOT given one but so the party in front of us given them by some Team Members. When I called Guest Services to talk about my experience they ended up offering me 6 of those single use Expresses, I explained that I thought for the value 6 wasn't enough and received 9. Point being not everyone is getting those either.