Theatrical Future/PVOD Thread | Page 67 | Inside Universal Forums

Theatrical Future/PVOD Thread

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Interesting quote:
Sources tell me that studio executives are hoping to huddle with the National Association of Theatre Owners in an effort to get the word out to SAG-AFTRA how a lengthy strike could really do damage, not just to the motion picture business but also to exhibition itself after cinemas ate dirt during Covid. The news comes as No. 1 theater chain AMC is running out of cash; cinemas can’t go through this again.
To me, the bolded part is kind of backwards. NATO should be proactively doing their best to pressure the studios to maintain their release calendar (if not outright get back to negotiating an end of the strikes), especially after the great week of box office we're currently seeing.

Interesting quote:

To me, the bolded part is kind of backwards. NATO should be proactively doing their best to pressure the studios to maintain their release calendar (if not outright get back to negotiating an end of the strikes), especially after the great week of box office we're currently seeing.
Agreed 100%, but this isn’t how billionaires work sadly

lol

If the Studios cared they'd pay but no they keep trying to frame themselves as the victims. Here is an idea if you need to cut some costs, start with the over paid CEO's who can live 100 life times and still never have to work a day in their lives.

Dawg, the studios are so transparent, like if you're gonna do propaganda, at least make it work.
It's getting much much harder to convince everyone to not pay workers

Yes there are some people who are still under the impression that anyone who works hard will get rich, but most people are realizing its much harder because of the people in charge wanting every dollar and not wanting to give even fair pay any more.

I'm going to ask to please refrain from using Deadline articles on this subject. They are vehemently pro-corporate and anti-union so their messaging is meant to make SAG look like the bad guy. Variety is a much better source that has writers on this topic that care about unions and normally when there's a Deadline article about a news story there's a Variety article too if it's legit.

Last edited:
Reactions: Grabnar and Jake S
I'm going to ask to please refrain from using Deadline articles on this subject. They are vehemently pro-business and anti-union so their messaging is meant to make SAG look like the bad guy. Variety is a much better source that has writers on this topic that care about unions and normally when there's a Deadline article about a news story there's a Variety article too if it's legit.
Pro-business is a bad way of phrasing it, paying your workers is pro-business as it retains talent and ensures everyone is able to work, not just billionaire fail-sons and nepo babies. Anti-worker, pro-exploitation, pro-boss, pro-bourgeoisie are all more accurate terms imo.

But yeah Deadline sucks, don’t post corporate propaganda for free. At least get paid to lick clean those boots, folks

Pro-business is a bad way of phrasing it, paying your workers is pro-business as it retains talent and ensures everyone is able to work, not just billionaire fail-sons and nepo babies. Anti-worker, pro-exploitation, pro-boss, pro-bourgeoisie are all more accurate terms imo.

But yeah Deadline sucks, don’t post corporate propaganda for free. At least get paid to lick clean those boots, folks
Pro-corporate/pro-studio I think may be better. They are always going to root for the billionaires over the ones fighting for fair pay because they are "hurting the industry" when in reality, it's the Studios who are the reason why the industry may see another round of delays.

If AMC gets hurt or the theater industry as a whole gets hurt, I don't want to see any blaming the actors. This is on the studios.

I've been reading all the trades (including Deadline) for a decade, and I wouldn't characterize Deadline in the terms you folks have, but whatever. I won't post their stuff here anymore.

I've been reading all the trades (including Deadline) for a decade, and I wouldn't characterize Deadline in the terms you folks have, but whatever. I won't post their stuff here anymore.
You can post their stuff, there's no rule against that. It will just be criticized when deserved. This article they wrote that you posted was mostly fine, but there's subtle parts that are thrown in to make SAG look bad. I'm not saying never to post from them again. It was more of a word of caution against them specifically on this topic.

The whole "News comes as AMC is running out of cash... Theaters can't go through this again" reads to me Deadline is playing the middle and just being like "we're just reporting a story", but it's about how it comes across. Because to us, we may see through it. To those that aren't terminally in the loop on this, they see SAG striking and theaters potentially going out of business and ask the question "why would they let that happen?". To me, their articles are trying to turn the joe schmoes out there against the unions ever so subtly.

Reactions: Jerroddragon