Tiana's Bayou Adventure (Opening June 28, 2024) | Page 17 | Inside Universal Forums

Tiana's Bayou Adventure (Opening June 28, 2024)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Come to Disneyland my dude, we'll have most of that stuff in the same park.

EDIT: Except for Tron :(
I have thought of my next Disney trip being one to Anaheim, but ToT is in Orlando along with Everest and that tends to win out for me. We shall see what the future holds though, I gotta get to Cars land one day.

Reactions: PerceptiveCoot
I have thought of my next Disney trip being one to Anaheim, but ToT is in Orlando along with Everest and that tends to win out for me. We shall see what the future holds though, I gotta get to Cars land one day.
Adding to this...DL’s my favorite park I’ve visited. Big reason I moved to LA after a brief stint in Orlando. Even if WDW has some special attractions (Pandora, ToT, Everest), none of their parks feel as magical as DL.

Speaking of which, hoping Splash Mountain returns with the reopening of DL. I’d like to try to get one last ride in before it changes over - preferably after I’ve been vaccinated:grin:

Last edited:
Reactions: Victoria and Teebin
I think Rohde's kind of deliberately giving a dense answer there; the question was not asking about physical location, but rather thematic integration.
I just don't see how PatF is too different from Splash. The only difference is it's blatantly New Orleans. Other than that, Splash mountain was "designed to evoke the southern United States, specifically Georgia, where Song of the South was based".

PatF doesn't fit Frontierland, but let's not act like Splash Mountain *did* fit, either.

I just don't see how PatF is too different from Splash. The only difference is it's blatantly New Orleans. Other than that, Splash mountain was "designed to evoke the southern United States, specifically Georgia, where Song of the South was based".

PatF doesn't fit Frontierland, but let's not act like Splash Mountain *did* fit, either.
They literally have to do minimal work to switch it over...It's neither here nor there.

Reactions: Nick

If the ride was going to be kept strictly in the bayou/country/rural areas, I wouldn't be concerned. Splash got away with technically taking place in the south because the settings depicted didn't clash too heavily with Frontierland.

1920s New Orleans and Mardi Gras will clash with Frontierland.

Either way, Splash Mountain/Bayou needs a subtitle so people know it’s a Tiana ride.
I'm thinking we're going to see a name pretty similar to "Princess and the Frog: Mardi Gras Bash" or "Tiana's Bayou Bash". I just have a feeling they are either going to want to drive home the Mardi Gras aspect or the Bayou aspect, as they emphasized both in the DPB post.

If the ride was going to be kept strictly in the bayou/country/rural areas, I wouldn't be concerned. Splash got away with technically taking place in the south because the settings depicted didn't clash too heavily with Frontierland.

Tough. I'm sorry, but of all the arguments against what's happening, this is the weakest - not that any hold any water, pardon the pun.

Reactions: rinacee and n i c k

Yes, if the exterior area around splash became 1920s New Orleans at WDW, it would clash in a major, major way.

But if it’s just the inside of the ride that shows New Orleans, the exterior of a bayou/tree/swamp wouldn’t at all.

The downside of this, of course, is we likely aren’t going to have any other New Orleans areas at WDW. Pecos bill will remain, etc. DL, on the other hand, I could easily see a Tianas place fitting in like a glove.
If WDW wanted an even bigger Tiana presence, they’d have to find a spot in Liberty Square; which wouldn’t be the worst idea in the world. But I’d rather DL get more of a fleshed out area and WDW simply get the ride (though I do love sazeracs and Po’ boys).

Reactions: belloq87
If WDW wanted an even bigger Tiana presence, they’d have to find a spot in Liberty Square; which wouldn’t be the worst idea in the world. But I’d rather DL get more of a fleshed out area and WDW simply get the ride (though I do love sazeracs and Po’ boys).

Say it with us now, Splash Mountain is getting replaced by Princess and the Frog.

They‘re not looking at other options on where to put that IP. It’s a done deal.

Splash Mountain was always thematically wrong in Frontierland. The Passport To Dreams blog has a great post explaining how it breaks the flow of the thematic elements.

How To Misplace A Mountain

This one's tough to talk about, because Splash Mountain is a Magic Kingdom classic and deserves a place in that park, as do Br'er Rabbit, Br'er Fox, and Br'er Bear. It's wildly popular, well designed, and is still - still - a major headliner attraction at the park.

But it just doesn't fit there.

Consider for a moment the disjunction between the homespun aesthetic of Splash Mt and the rustic river town of Frontierland. Frontierland is frontier men and fur trappers; Splash Mountain is a homespun quilt. There's a few attempts to blend it into the environment - many of the tunnels are now mine shafts and the music has a "bluegrass" twang to it - but the more you notice it the more and more apparent it is that the design team on this ride was just destined to get clobbered trying to fix the problem.

Splash Mountain gets in through a side door, I think, thanks to the fact that Country Bear Jamboree already existed in the area, and being descended from Marc Davis designs for America Sings and Song of the South, Splash Mountain fits in just enough to not seem like a gross contradiction. Until you realize that the red Georgia clay of the mountain is down south, not old west, and the romantic South isn't "Frontierland" no matter how you try to define it.

What elevates a poor thematic placement into the top five is that it makes mince of the careful architectural and conceptual progression of Magic Kingdom's river district, the true heart and most accomplished area of the park.

Liberty Square sweeps from upper New England (The Haunted Mansion) down through Philadelphia and Virginia (The Hall of Presidents) before heading west and transitioning to Frontierland at St. Louis (The Diamond Horseshoe). It then proceeds through the frontier territories, perhaps Kansas and Colorado, before arriving at cowboy vernacular architecture (Pecos Bill Cafe), then heading direct for the great Southwest pueblo architecture and monument valley (Big Thunder Mountain). This means that Splash Mountain's "deep south" is inserted directly into the section of the progression which once had a unified southwest and desert rock look. Lots of trees and an orange-red color help ease the intrusion, but an intrusion it indeed is.

The progression, of course, was intended from the start and would have ended with Thunder Mesa instead of Big Thunder Mountain, but of course Big Thunder was designed to replicate the sort of rock work we would have had surrounding Western River Expedition, so the careful progression was retained into the early 90s.

Just as unfortunate, Splash Mountain is out of scale for Frontierland. This part of the park was designed to sit on a lower elevation than Adventureland and by the time the facades ramble out towards Pecos Bill, they were originally quite short. The need to have the pedestrian path cross over the main drop of Splash Mountain means that a large hill was added at the end of the street, spoiling the forced perspective of the Pecos Bill facades until they were rebuilt at double height a few years later. More significantly, the elevated view of Big Thunder Mountain from the top of the Splash Mountain hill steps on the forced perspective of Big Thunder Mountain, which originally rose gracefully at the end of the otherwise flat Frontierland area like a beacon and looked absolutely colossal.

Really the only upside of Splash Mountain's placement is the absolutely terrific views of Liberty Square and Cinderella Castle from the top of the main lift hill and pedestrian bridge. That's the reason why it's there, and it's understandable and obvious. Of course, we can ask if the view of the castle is really all that important - Disneyland's faces some trees and, far away, the Matterhorn, and Tokyo has a general view of Westernland, and nobody thinks that there's something seriously missing when they ride those versions of the ride.

In many ways this is a tough call because the spot it was built is really the only place in Magic Kingdom it could have realistically went without building a self-contained Critter Country, which of course could not be directly on the big river, an important feature. Still, if I could move that mountain to an equally appropriate place in the park, I would.

The gorgeous stretch of land between Country Bear Jamboree and Thunder Mountain, with spreading trees, flowers, and split-rail fence, was one of the few areas in that Frontierland to feel genuinely rustic. And it seems to be a shame to lose that beautiful original train station, and that sense of a town way out on the edge of nothing, in the bargain.

Giving it a Princess and the Frog theme set in New Orleans is no better or worse than the break in the flow now.

Foxxy (the author of Passport to Dreams) did a great analysis of Song of the South and Splash Mountain a few years ago, and it's interesting to note the changes Disney made between the 1989 opening of DLs version and the 1992 opening of WDWs. The WDW version seems to go to greater lengths to distance itself from the source material and be "less controversial". It's a fascinating read:

It’s certainly going to fit in better at DL. It’ll be interesting to see how they break up Critter County. I’m guessing they’ll just add PatF to New Orleans and divide the area with Pooh into One Hundred Acre Wood.