Tidal Wave Officially Closes | Page 2 | Inside Universal Forums

Tidal Wave Officially Closes

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
It was an old ride whose manufacturer is long out of business. The maintenance costs must have been ridiculous.

I suspect it will come down quickly because they won't leave standing water with Zika virus around.

Reactions: IAmFloridaBorn
Taken off the park map monday also.
159d61c48f81404db9be35305430acb3_bgt-10108-bgt_park_map_eng_front_940x613.jpg

Reactions: Tylereapple
Even though this ride usually had little to no line, it was one of the better family rides in the park. It will leave a hole in their ride line up. Unfortunately I think this area might not get any new attractions for at least 3-4 years. (If they go with the Gwazi land redevelopment next.) It also weakens that side of the park for rides. The area is basically down to two kids/family areas, Sheikra, flume and a stations for the skyride and train. The good news is it brings a large chunk of land to the table for development.

Since this decision seems pretty sudden, they may not have any preliminary plans on what to do with the site yet. That is why I figured Gwazi's site would be next, they have had time to plan and think through it more.

Lol. When I saw the title I had no idea what Tidal Wave was. Very upsetting that they closed it abruptly, a park that does that is basically saying "We don't really care about this ride and you probably don't either". It was a nice little ride that never had a line but the area it was in is literally a time capsule from 70's BGT. They've been updating all their areas over the past 12 years (Timbuktu being first, Egypt the latest).

It was originally the African Queen boat ride back there:
boatride_-_ws.jpg

It's a fairly sizable area there so a coaster would be possible. Things can always get reconfigured as well.
Nice theming. They've taken a step back, from the looks of things. Loved that name, The Dark Continent. Just like when BGW was called The Old Country. Gwazi leaves Tampa, Invader wooden coaster goes to BGW. Now they're trading set pieces. Life stays in balance.

Well, there goes the best water ride and the only remaining themed ride at BGT. They had better put another water ride in its place, and preferably one with higher levels of theming...

Reactions: Cheezbat
So, crazy rumor someone had brought up at PixelsAtThePark was that Shoot The Rapids from Cedar Point would be replacing Tidal Wave. Only thing backing this was the coincidence that Tidal Wave recently closed and CP has been in the process of removing STR. Interesting, but I don't want a ride that had a flipped boat that injured 13 riders. Rumors...