Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Top Ten Dark Rides

Andy

aka Hatetofly
VIP Member
Mar 16, 2010
So after listening to another podcast about this same subject I thought it would be great to get everyones top ten dark rides. Please only include ones you have been on. If you wish to include a list of some you want to go on then please feel free to. I'm really looking for some feedback on this one so please take a minute to give me your list.

I'm working on mine so please share!

Are we talking straight dark rides - AKA, no coasters or simulator hybrids (so no Mummy or Indiana Jones or Spider-Man)? If so, here we are...

1) The Haunted Mansion (WDW)
2) Mr. Toad's Wild Ride
3) E.T. Adventure
4) Roger Rabbit's Car Toon Spin
5) Alice in Wonderland
6) The Cat in the Hat
7) Pinocchio's Daring Journey
8) Snow White's Scary Adventures (DLR)
9) The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh (WDW)
10) Peter Pan's Flight (DLR)

My list

Just note here are a few rides out there that I would love to experience and would probably force me to make some changes on my list. Here are a few.

Radiator Springs Racers at Disney's California Adventure
Transformers at Universal Studios Hollywood
Journey to the Center of the Earth Disney's Tokyo Sea
The Adventures of Winnie the Pooh at Tokyo Disneyland
Phantom Manor at Disneyland Paris
Space Fantasy at Universal Japan

#10 The Curse of Darkastle

DSC_0849.jpg

Busch Gardens Williamsburg took a stab at the dark ride market and hit a home run. This attraction is based off the same ride system as Universals Transformers and Amazing Adventures of Spiderman. Its a spooky ride with great sets, effects, and decent storyline. If your in the area make sure you take a spin.

#9 Splash Mountain

Splash_Mountain___DisneyWorld_by_Stevie489.jpg

Splash Mountain is arguably one of the greatest water rides ever created as well as one of the best dark rides out there. It blends classic Disney story with great sets, great AA's, and multiple surprises along an extremely long course. Its over the top scenes combined with its family thrills truly set it apart from all water rides and most dark rides.

#8 Back to the Future

wy6DAEXdPso6ZFD7ztVVWfVfs4l.jpg

This ride was what put Universal on the map! I remember going as a kid and being just blown away. It broke the barrier for media based attractions combining an omnimax screen with motion simulators. While it was passed over as the years went on and technology advanced this ride was a true classic and will always be a respected and remembered dark ride.

#7 Horizons

dscn00088.jpg

Another truly immersive attraction that also broke the mold of being interactive. While many people never got the chance to experience this attraction I was lucky enough to several times over all the way until demo. This ride had a unique ride system that blended perfectly with its sprawling sets. At the end you got to choose the actual ending and it made for great rerideablitliy while opening the door for other attractions with the same premise. It was a great classic Disney ride that screamed Epcot or at least what Epcot used to stand for.

#6 Indiana Jones Adventure: Temple of the Forbidden Eye

indianajonesadventure4.jpg

This is without a doubt the best ride at the Disneyland Resort and one of Disney's best creations to date. From the mammoth queue to the vast interior sets it has it all. The ride plays directly into the style of the movie franchise I love so much. So to jump on and literally feel like an adventure straight from the movies was an amazing experience. All the effects were top notch and the sets are just awesome. The EMV vehicles though are what really give the ride that X factor. In a digital time its great to see an older but still amazing attraction show us live sets are the way to go.

#5 Kongfrontation

kongfrontation06s.jpg

This is the ride that made me a dark ride fan. When I was a kid my parents had to take me on this ride over and over and over because I could not get enough. From the moment you entered the queue to the moment you walked off the tram you were fully immersed 360 degrees around you. The sets were AMAZING, probably the best dark ride sets ever created IMO. It brought so many things to the table. A highly themed queue, a great story, amazing AA's, a unique ride system, interactivity, smell effects, live action, simulation, and list keeps going. Of all rides now gone, this is the one I miss the most.

#4 The Tower of Terror

tower-of-terror-ipad.jpg

Lets face it, the first few years at MGM (Disney's Hollywood Studios) were well rough. It was a half day park at best and it lacked a truly must see attraction. So Disney decided to build probably its greatest creation at the end of Hollywood Blvd. This ride is blends great effects, cool sets, an amazing queue, fantastic story, and a unique ride system around a free fall ride. Its extremely fun and its great that its been reprofiled several times over the years to keep in fresh. Another thing that sets it apart from EVERYTHING else is its truly themed 360 degrees. I mean no matter where you look whether it be outside the park, inside the park, in the queue, on the ride, in the gift shop its themed to the fullest extent. Theres no show building looming in the background or another ride vehicle in sight. Its just you and the beast.

# 3 The Haunted Mansion

The_Haunted_Mansion.jpg

Alright I probably am going to catch some fire from some on placing this attraction so high on the list. This IMO is the ultimate Disney experience and I NEVER miss it during a visit to the Magic Kingdom. From the facade to the effects this ride screams classic Disney. It offers the rider a backstage pass into the haunted world many of us try to peer our curious eyes into. The update this attraction received in 2007 really cemented its place as my overall number one Disney dark ride. The blending of todays advanced technology with the storyline and sets of Disney's past blend perfectly to create an overall masterpiece. Now if we can just get that Holiday makeover...

# 2 The Amazing Adventure of Spiderman

02_The-Amazing-Adventures-of-Spider-Man.jpg

In the late 90's when my love of theme parks was taking a more serious turn I began following the construction of Universals newest park, Islands of Adventure. At the time I could not wait to ride the Hulk, Dueling Dragons, Dudley, and Jurassic Park. While I did know about Spiderman I didn't at the same time. So in the summer of 99 at my first visit to IOA the family and I did what most do. Started in Marvel and went around. So we did the Hulk, SWEETNESS! Then Doom, ehh that was cool. Then it was time for Spiderman. I mean I had read a few things about how awesome it was but I was young and in 1999 there were not a ton of theme park sites out there. I remember walking in the Daily Bugle and instantly being like whoa this is cool and so did my family. It really hit me as soon as the vehicle turned and Spidey jumped on the scoop. I still remember my jaw dropping to the floor! This ride from start to finish was the most amazing experience I had ever had. I mean it was lightyears ahead of anything else at the time. And now with it being in 4K HD oh man its insane. The ride is the total package and I have nothing negative to say about it, NOTHING!

#1 Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey

bob_9607.jpg

Yeah you knew it was coming. Islands of Adventure now houses the two greatest dark rides created IMO. This ride has the best queue I have ever waited in. It has a ride system that not only destroys crowds but it offers an intimate experience that words just can't describe. When the Wizarding World was being built, I followed it closer than anything else I have ever followed in theme parks. The main thing I was interested in was in fact the Forbidden Journey. It was also one of the only rides I have ever been able to say NO I WILL NOT READ SPOILERS. So in true dork fashion I drove to Universal everyday I could for Potter watch in hopes of getting a ride in. One morning my wish came true. I ran to it like a fat kid to the desert pizza at Cici's. From the moment I walked in my emotions ran wild. Jesus people I called my mom, wife, sister, and dad while I was in line! Anyways the real magic started once I was loaded in got my three clicks and away we went. Each and every scene was everything I had hoped for. The ride system was so much better than I could of dreamed of. It was truly an experience I will never forget and each ride since then has been the same. I love taking people on this ride and watching there reactions. Universal broke the mold 20+ years ago with Back to the Future and Kong. Then they rewrote the book on dark rides with Spiderman ten years later. Now yet again they have taken the dark ride to even higher ground. The ride is as close to total perfection as I have seen.

Are we talking straight dark rides - AKA, no coasters or simulator hybrids (so no Mummy or Indiana Jones or Spider-Man)? If so, here we are...

2) Mr. Toad's Wild Ride
3) E.T. Adventure
5) Alice in Wonderland
6) The Cat in the Hat

No please use hybrids. Its just the way things are now.

2) Mr. Toad's Wild Ride
3) E.T. Adventure
5) Alice in Wonderland
6) The Cat in the Hat

Since we are using any ride with dark ride elements.... revised list:

1) The Haunted Mansion
2) The Amazing Adventures of Spider-Man
3) Harry Potter & The Forbidden Journey
4) Indiana Jones Adventure (DLR)
5) JAWS
6) Mr. Toad's Wild Ride
7) E.T. Adventure
8) Splash Mountain (DLR)
9) Roger Rabbit's Car Toon Spin
10) Jurassic Park River Adventure (USH)

Last edited:
My List

Tough question hatetofly, but a good one!

I'll start of with a tribute to my favorite dark rides, that are sadly no longer with us:

1. Back to the Future
220px-Back_to_the_Future_The_Ride.JPG

As long as you didn't sit in the back row of the Delorean, this was the best simulator in Orlando for my money. They came up with a great story, and I loved all the little videos and details around the Future Institute of Technology. I still remember that satisfied feeling I had when I climbed out of the Delorean and down the ramps with Huey Lewis blasting in the background.

2. Horizons
horizons-ryman.jpg

If you asked me what Epcot was all about, I'd show you this attraction. It was a dark ride home run. It's tone was perfect for future world, and it had incredible detail, sets, and music. And really the ability to choose your own ending was something way ahead of it's time. It's such a shame that many of today's Disney fans will never know its greatness.

3. Jaws
jaws_ride_universal.jpg

Yeah, I know it's technically not a "dark" attraction, but it truly captures the spirit of the term. For a long time, this was the staple of Universal. I know I don't need to tell everyone how much we all miss this attraction and what it meant to us.

The List:

10. Mr. Toad's Wild Ride
mrtoad_detail.jpg

This is my favorite attracion between the two Fantasylands. It's such a fun ride, and it's almost a Disney dark ride done with a Universal humor/tone. The ride takes you to hell! Where else are you gonna get that? :lol:

9. Star Tours: The Adventures Continue
StarTours_060311_60.jpg

Before this recent update, Star Tours probably would have made my list simply because of my Star Wars love. But now I believe it truly deserves it's spot. The 3D is a huge leap forward and the new interactive experiences are great. The multiple combinations of ride sequences have only increased the reride-ability of the attraction.

8. Revenge of the Mummy
Mummy+composite.gif

Plot problems and broken figures aside, you can't deny the greatness of this attracion. It does a great job of blending a dark ride experience with a coaster. When all the effects are working, it's one of the best rides in the Studios. It's fun and thrilling, and the queue is done pretty well.

7. Men In Black: Alien Attack
image001.gif

Not only is this the best shooter attraction in Orlando, for me it's also the funnest ride. I can ride it over and over without getting bored. The figures are very well done, and to this day I'm still noticing details I never have before. When you realize how quickly this ride had to be designed and built, the end result is truly amazing.

6. Splash Mountain
slash_mountain_920.jpg

I didn't even think about putting this on my list, but hatetofly makes a good case for calling it a dark ride. Not only is it one of the best attractions Disney has ever built, it's still the top dog in the Magic Kingdom to me. It's fun and light hearted, with the right dash of dark and thrilling. The detail is great, and the music is incredibly catchy.

5. Indiana Jones Adventure: Temple of the Forbidden Eye
300px-Indy-Lava-Room.jpg

Like hatetofly said, this is far and away the best ride in Disneyland right now. It's incredibly grand with great attention to detail. The ride truly captures the sense of adventure that made the franchise so popular. It's amazing that it can have the same EMVs and track as Dinosaur, and be so much better :lol:

4. Tower of Terror
tower-of-terror-lobby.jpg

More than any other attraction on this list, to me, the Tower of Terror defines its park. DHS is the Tower of Terror. It's still one of Disney's crowning achievements of the last 20 years. The queue is one of the best Disney has ever done. The music, the perfect cobwebs and aging, and the little gags and details are just astounding. Everything is just so perfect from the Rod Sterling pre-show, to the commited CMs running the ride, to the moving elevator and Twilight Zone effects. I also love that more than any other ride, Disney has been commited to plussing and maintaing the ride over the years. The new random ride profile really put it over the top.

3. Haunted Mansion
haunted-mansion-wdw-400-11.jpg

You can't have a true list of dark rides without the Haunted Mansion on it. Almost every attraction today is inspired by its greatness. The incredible facade, the preshow, the music, the perfect pacing, and the effects that still trick guests to this day are what make this ride great. Not only is this the epitome of dark rides, its pretty much the epitome of Disney. The new techonolgy just keeps making the ride even better.

2. Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey
BOB_9607.jpg

Yeah, it's only second on my list. But I assure you it's not by a lot. It's one of the few rides that blew me away the first time I rode it. I went in only knowing that I was going to be on a Kuka Arm, and had a pretty eye opening experience. The queue is incredible, and I'm sure if I knew more about Potter I would appreciate it even more. But that's one of the few things that hold this ride back for me. It's probably the least accessible on this list in terms of story, to those who don't know the source material. I can't really fault the ride for it, because doing it any other way probably would have ruined the authenticity of the ride, but it's still something that holds me back from putting it #1. I also wish the screens could have worked out a little better in terms of clarity, but it doesn't diminish the overall ride experience very much in the grand scheme of things.

1. The Amazing Adventures of Spiderman
Travel%20Universal%20Spider%20Man%20Ride.JPEG-01bdf.jpg

Who better to top my list, then your friendly neighborhood Spiderman? I can't wait to experience the new updated version, because all accounts are the king of the theme park world has returned. This is the ride that all 21st century dark rides should strive to beat. It's amazing that almost 15 years later, no other ride has come close to blending 3D and physical sets so perfectly. And that's what I love about it so much. It was able to blend ground breaking 3D, with real physical effects. Everything about this ride is perfect. It has one of the best stories, and the new update has only added to the incredible level of detail. It's the perfect blend of fun and thrilling, and IMO the perfect dark ride.

Rides I want to experience, but haven't yet:
1. Radiator Spring Racers
2. Journey to the Center of the Earth
3. Transformers
4. The Curse of Darkastle
5. Phantom Manor

In the podcast hatetofly is referring to, they justified including it in the list. And I don't see why you can't, since it embodies the same spirit of a dark ride.

I'll have to listen to the podcast, but the thing is a simulator, same with Star Tours. You have to be moving along a track to be a dark ride, IMO.

Wow... Darkastle is in someone's top 10? That ride is horrible Imo.The thing is a couple of hallways with portraits, a few trees and a horribly done library... The ride relies far too heavily on screens.

10. Curse of DarKastle-I only rode this once, and it was in 2005 after it opened. But I remember enjoying it enough to compare it to Spiderman, which says something.
9. Mystery Mine-This is such a phenomenal Dark Coaster. If you've never been on it, you are truly missing out.
8. Tower of Terror-The dark ride sections of this ride are nothing short of superb.
7. Dinosaur-I haven't ever been on Indy, so I can't say it's my favorite or not. I do know that I really do love Dinosaur though.
6. Haunted Mansion-I just really dig Haunted Mansion. It's the horror nerd in me.
5. Space Ship Earth-Apparently I'm the only one who loves it this much...
4. Expedition Everest/Revenge of the Mummy-Both of these are so similar in concept that I genuinely rank them even and tie them for the spot.
3. Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey-This is just a given.
2. Men In Black-There is just something about this ride that continues to draw me back time and time again.
1. Amazing Adventure's of Spiderman-Another given

Wow... Darkastle is in someone's top 10? That ride is horrible Imo.The thing is a couple of hallways with portraits, a few trees and a horribly done library... The ride relies far too heavily on screens.

Most new dark rides rely heavily on screens are loved for it. Harry Potter has VERY few animatronics and most of the story is driven through the screened sections. Someone's top ride was Back To The Future, which was nothing short of a great ride, and it relied completely on screens.

Not that I disagree with you, it does rely on screens. But I genuinely think the story is fun, and if people are comparing it to Spiderman that alone is a very big feat.

10. Curse of DarKastle-I only rode this once, and it was in 2005 after it opened. But I remember enjoying it enough to compare it to Spiderman, which says something.
9. Mystery Mine-This is such a phenomenal Dark Coaster. If you've never been on it, you are truly missing out.
8. Tower of Terror-The dark ride sections of this ride are nothing short of superb.
7. Dinosaur-I haven't ever been on Indy, so I can't say it's my favorite or not. I do know that I really do love Dinosaur though.
6. Haunted Mansion-I just really dig Haunted Mansion. It's the horror nerd in me.
5. Space Ship Earth-Apparently I'm the only one who loves it this much...
4. Expedition Everest/Revenge of the Mummy-Both of these are so similar in concept that I genuinely rank them even and tie them for the spot.
3. Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey-This is just a given.
2. Men In Black-There is just something about this ride that continues to draw me back time and time again.
1. Amazing Adventure's of Spiderman-Another given

I would have put SSE on my list before the "upgrade", but it really kinda ruined the ride for me. I also miss Jeremy Irons desperately compared to Judy Dench.

I would have put SSE on my list before the "upgrade", but it really kinda ruined the ride for me. I also miss Jeremy Irons desperately compared to Judy Dench.

I LOVE it all the way up until the descent. The descent was fun the first time but now the novelty has worn off.

I LOVE it all the way up until the descent. The descent was fun the first time but now the novelty has worn off.

Exactly. The new scenes are really great, but I can't stand the descent now. It used to be my favorite part of the ride. They also completely ruined the timing when you turn around to see the Earth before the descent. It's lost all sense of being grand and spectacular.

I too am surprised to see Darkastle on lists. I rode it 2 years ago and found it to be a jumble and incoherent mess of an attraction.

My current list:

10) Living with the Land - If you don't enjoy this attraction, I have nothing to say to you.
9) Splash Mountain - Would be higher if it wasn't for the crappy, crappy maintenance.
8) Revenge of the Mummy - Would be higher if it wasn't for the crappy, crappy Mummy AAs.
7) Spaceship Earth - While not as great as it once was, the attraction is still one hell of an accomplishment.
6) Great Movie Ride - While it needs some technical updates here and there, the ride is still a testament to themed design and what WDI can do when unleashed. The live guide also adds a lot to the experience.
5) Men in Black: Alien Attack! - The ride along would be a world class dark ride with amazing sets, AAs, and design. Add in the best interactivity on any ride out there, and you have a home run.
4) Twilight Zone Tower of Terror - A close second to Haunted Mansion for the best Disney ride I've ever been on. Terrific setting, mood, and ride.
3) The Haunted Mansion - The greatest Disney dark ride ever conceived. Everything about the ride is pitch perfect, and the song kicks butt.
2) Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey - A perfect blend of live action and videos, not to mention the best ride system I've ever seen.
1) The Amazing Adventures of Spider-man - I haven't ridden the refurb, but I already know Spider-man has reclaimed my number one spot. It was already only slightly behind Forbidden Journey, but with it's upgrades it's definitely passed it. No attraction in the world makes you feel like you're in the action like Spider-man. And Spider-man being one of my favorite fictional characters of all time helps.

My all time list:

10) Horizons
9) MIB
8) Splash Mountain at 100%
7) Kong
6) Tower
5) Spaceship Earth '94
4) Journey Into Imagination 1.0
3) Mansion
2) Forbidden Journey
1) Spidey

Things I would have included, but technically aren't dark rides:

Jungle Cruise
Jaws

Things I want to ride:

Phantom Manor (SOON!)
DLP's Pirates (ALSO SOON)
Journey to the Center of the Earth
Indiana Jones and the Temple of the Forbidden Eye
Radiator Springs Racers

My Top 10:

10. Space Mountain (DLR): The ultimate dark ride..in the dark. With DLR's jaw-dropping opening making you feel like you just entered a sci-fi movie and that awesome soundtrack, it's currently the best Space in the world.

9. Dinosaur/Indiana Jones Adventure: Okay I hate to lump these in together because they're both some of the best dark rides in the world, but I'm trying to be sneaky and have 11 entries in my top 10 and the technology may just allow it.

8. Men In Black: Alien Attack: I've only gotten Galaxy Defender twice IN MY LIFE, but dammit I'll keep riding this thing over and over until I get it again.

7. Pirates of the Caribbean (DLR) : This ride is classic and epic. 15 minutes of pure pirate bliss.

6. Revenge of the Mummy: Probably the dark ride that begs for the most re-rides. It's amazing enough but just leaves you wanting that much more.

5. Haunted Mansion: Not only is this the omnimover to end all omnimovers, with effects that still inspire awe today, at DLR/TDR it's 2 attractions in one when Haunted Mansion Holiday takes over.

4. Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey: What is there to say except that this ride has elements of dark ride past, present, and future all blending together for an incredibly unique, thrilling experience.

3. Twilight Zone Tower of Terror: This ride calls for a different kind of introduction. The fact that Disney can take the drop tower and turn it into a highly-themed dark ride experience shows how they are masters of both engineering, design, and storytelling.

2. The Amazing Adventures of Spider-Man: Without having even seen the changes to its new cool crisp 4D, this ride came out of nowhere in 1999 and blew the roof off what 3D and ride technology could do. 13 years later and it's still the one to beat.

1. Journey to the Center of the Earth: But with me, fully realized sets and animatronics will always win over screen based rides any day. And this is the ultimate. From the ride sign, to the queue, to the faux elevator, to seeing the ride vehicles march up, to embarking on your first unforgettable journey. This should be the benchmark of all dark rides and what they aspire to be.

I'll have to listen to the podcast, but the thing is a simulator, same with Star Tours. You have to be moving along a track to be a dark ride, IMO.

Even before the podcast I still consider BTTF to be a dark ride. You don't have to agree since it is in fact a simulator. But it encompasses everything a true dark ride stands for IMO, hence its on my list.

I went on the ride opening year in 05 and loved it. See the most important thing is I enjoyed it. People will react to different rides in different ways and those in turn are called opinions. By all means please feel free to share your opinions but do so by sharing your list not by picking others apart.