Toy Story Land - General Discussion | Page 51 | Inside Universal Forums

Toy Story Land - General Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
What is their aversion to adding more rides/attractions & food to this land? Even if Star Wars Land is going to include 1 or 2 dining options in some form, you still need something outside of the land without having to trek across the park in search for food. (or the next ride)

Its almost like they're not utilizing the space they have to their full advantage.

Less to tear down when they need to expand Star Wars and get the bonus of spending less money now.

Reactions: Joel
Y'all complaining about how much space they have and only will have 2 rides. I would like to direct everyone's attention 10 feet over to a 14 acre Star Wars land!

Y'all complaining about how much space they have and only will have 2 rides. I would like to direct everyone's attention 10 feet over to a 14 acre Star Wars land!
That will at least be a worthy area with top notch rides though.And there's room for expansion in SWL too where as there really is no room for expansion in TSL because the coaster wastes so much space.

TSL is simply a waste of prime real estate in a park that quite frankly doesn't have much to waste.

Reactions: Mad Dog and Andysol
14 acres dedicated to two state-of-the-art e-tickets and a highly immersive area full of shops and dining. Toy Story Land has only 4 less acres yet trades that for a d-ticket dark ride, two flat rides, and some food/merch stands, all with minimal/lazy theming. A better comparison would be TSL to Bug's Land; Bug's Land fulfills the same purpose, with more rides, and a much tinier footprint.

I still cant believe they're releasing that awful animation to the public.

"Here at WDI, we design rides using tech that looks worse than Roller Coaster Tycoon."
The animations isn't to look like a pretty video game. Its to give them an idea of how the cars will move, if the physics is right, etc. Its basically a CAD program.

Reactions: Disneyhead
The animations isn't to look like a pretty video game. Its to give them an idea of how the cars will move, if the physics is right, etc. Its basically a CAD program.
Right. But they usually don't show that on the big screen at D23. Maybe drop it in a Disney Parks blog post with an Imagineer explaining what it is.

If Disneyland in CA can fit the Jungle Cruise, Indiana Jones Adventure, Pirates, New Orleans Square, Haunted Mansion and Splash Mountain within 15 acres. They could have done a lot more with Star Wars and Toy Story and still had top notch attractions.

If Disneyland in CA can fit the Jungle Cruise, Indiana Jones Adventure, Pirates, New Orleans Square, Haunted Mansion and Splash Mountain within 15 acres. They could have done a lot more with Star Wars and Toy Story and still had top notch attractions.

I think this conversation can drag on and get monotonous, but isn't Diagon Alley 15-20 acres? With 1 E-ticket and a transportation ride. But the land, itself, is a walkable attraction. Star Wars should be no different. 2 E-tickets and plenty of shops/eateries/things to explore. Times have changed and you can't simply compare the size of show buildings to a land that has to include walkways, shops, etc. to absorb the huge crowds SWL will bring. When I saw the model, i was excited by how much room guests had to walk and explore. Hogsmeade is living proof that for an IP as strong as this, paths need to be big and plentiful.

And I think we're all in agreeance that Toy Story Land just had way more potential overall lol. The only justification I can see for it being so much bigger than it needs to be, is because it's going to have a lot of overflow from SWL, of guests both going in and going out, so having too much room might be a little safer in this case. Time will tell.

Reactions: HereWeGo and Alicia
Diagon is 5 acres.

Oh wow I was really wrong :lol: Forgive me, I haven't been to USF since 2001, so I have no sense of scale when it comes to that park lol

EDIT: Oh I was think of the 14-15 acre hogsmeade, but that includes Dragon Challenge so it's not too comparable. I still stand by my points, though. I think Star Wars deserves to be that large even with "only" 2 E-tickets. If it could possibly make walking around that land less hellish, I'm all for it. And if they really want the walk around aliens/droids to work, they need an excess of paths.

Last edited:
Oh wow I was really wrong :lol: Forgive me, I haven't been to USF since 2001, so I have no sense of scale when it comes to that park lol

EDIT: Oh I was think of the 14-15 acre hogsmeade, but that includes Dragon Challenge so it's not too comparable. I still stand by my points, though. I think Star Wars deserves to be that large even with "only" 2 E-tickets. If it could possibly make walking around that land less hellish, I'm all for it. And if they really want the walk around aliens/droids to work, they need an excess of paths.

To give you a more equal comparison-
Hogsmeade will likely be around 10 Acres after the new attraction replaces DC.
Add Diagon into the mix- and now you're talking 3 E-Tickets, 1 kiddie coaster, the Hogwarts Express and all the shows, shops and food services of Diagon Alley & Hogsmeade encompassing approximately the same amount of land SW:GE will.

Reactions: Cheezbat
To give you a more equal comparison-
Hogsmeade will likely be around 10 Acres after the new attraction replaces DC.
Add Diagon into the mix- and now you're talking 3 E-Tickets, 1 kiddie coaster, the Hogwarts Express and all the shows, shops and food services of Diagon Alley & Hogsmeade encompassing approximately the same amount of land SW:GE will.

Thank you for the better comparison. When it comes to acreage WWoHP is efficient, for sure. It's also very crowded. J.K. wanted realism, so the shops are food services are pretty much to scale (i.e. not big enough). That's why there are queues to shop and why they had to build duplicate Ollivander's show rooms (twice). And now they've implemented a nighttime show with no great way to let guests view it.

Yes, Disney can waste space (Toy Story Land and Pandora, too, depending on who you ask). But SWL will bring masses to a park that will have 4 indoor rides (5 if Mickey & Minnie get cracking), a family coaster, and a flat. I say let SWL have big restaurants, shops, and paths. And in a few years they'll still have the room to add a 3rd ride. I think Disney would be crazy not to think ahead to an expansion.

But regardless, I've just realized this is all in the Toy Story Land thread, so we should probably get :topic: if this convo needs to continue its better off in the SWL thread, I think

Reactions: Andysol
Never understood why Disney is so scared of giving animated POV's. Maybe scared of being ridiculed for the stuff that gets cut due to budget overruns.

I can't understand this either, they have several animation studios that could probably import the construction data for great concept videos. I think the people who are going to ridicule Disney for removing stuff will have enough ammo with the concept art and everybody else probably won't care.

They're not afraid - they're just not smart.

I'll tell you the story an imagineer told me once during a break at a training session we were both at.

She was brought in full time around when New Fantasyland was being finished. To show things off on her tour of the work place, they showed her the famed CAVE simulator that was showing off a walk through of New Fantasyland.

She used it to wander a bit... then tried to squat. The CAVE ignored her attempt to change her elevation. It was set to the height of the average white dude. She tried again, it ignored her.

She was trying to see what the area would look like from the perspective of a child. To gauge the sightlines, etc...

No one on the project that was about to be finished had apparently ever done that before, and for all the money they spent the CAVE simulator doesn't do it. As we saw, New Fantasyland opened with many sightlines issues that this sort of tech was supposed to resolve.

Sometimes they just don't think outside of their own world. Can't see the past the end of their nose as it were.

Side note: She's on the Epcot overhaul project if you were wondering.

They're not afraid - they're just not smart.

I'll tell you the story an imagineer told me once during a break at a training session we were both at.

She was brought in full time around when New Fantasyland was being finished. To show things off on her tour of the work place, they showed her the famed CAVE simulator that was showing off a walk through of New Fantasyland.

She used it to wander a bit... then tried to squat. The CAVE ignored her attempt to change her elevation. It was set to the height of the average white dude. She tried again, it ignored her.

She was trying to see what the area would look like from the perspective of a child. To gauge the sightlines, etc...

No one on the project that was about to be finished had apparently ever done that before, and for all the money they spent the CAVE simulator doesn't do it. As we saw, New Fantasyland opened with many sightlines issues that this sort of tech was supposed to resolve.

Sometimes they just don't think outside of their own world. Can't see the past the end of their nose as it were.

Side note: She's on the Epcot overhaul project if you were wondering.

This sounds like it could be a software problem more than an Imagineering problem. Disney have thought about a kid's perspective in the past:
tumblr_nu8h4sk3PI1qm8776o1_500.png

Then again, with stuff like this, I think it sounds like a happy coincidence for people to give extra credit to Disney whether intentional or not.

Reactions: Andysol