TRON Lightcycle Run | Page 36 | Inside Universal Forums

TRON Lightcycle Run

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Some people like helixes!
It'll be a fine coaster and it's an actual ADDITION to MK, which is nice. It will be a fine addition.

However, Hagrid and the new JP coaster are showing us that you can have a thrilling coaster that is well themed and they are both far from just a short 60 second coaster-in-a-box. Also, most of Disney's Coasters-in-a-box aren't even all that well themed. Tron, Space, RNRC and from the sounds of it GotG are all lightly themed.

Disney does some great stuff, but Hagrid alone is something that shows that Disney hasn't been thinking far enough outside the proverbial box when it comes to themed coasters. Disney needs to do more stuff like Everest and less of these box coasters.

Disney does some great stuff, but Hagrid alone is something that shows that Disney hasn't been thinking far enough outside the proverbial box when it comes to themed coasters. Disney needs to do more stuff like Everest and less of these box coasters.
Agreed. I do think Big Grizzly Mountain is a great coaster from them, though, and hopefully Guardians is worthy of that gigantic building.

Honestly, what MK will gain the most from Tron is the sense of modernity. Compared to the other parks, there’s nothing on the level of Flight of Passage, Hagrid, Rise, etc.

Disney needs to do more stuff like Everest and less of these box coasters.

I certainly don't disagree with this.

I just think some people have their knives out for TRON simply because it's not going to be the JP coaster (which, theoretically, it's going head-to-head against next year). It's not intended to be, as each are going to serve a different type of guest.

Reactions: SkiBum and Nick

I just think some people have their knives out for TRON simply because it's not going to be the JP coaster (which, theoretically, it's going head-to-head against next year). It's not intended to be, as each are going to serve a different type of guest.
Agreed. This isn’t meant to compete on a thrill level with the JP Coaster, but it will fill a need at MK. Much of MK feels quite old and stale, so this will help with that.

What type of guest does Tron serve?

What type of guest does Tron serve?
The Disney guest that likes "more intense" coasters, but doesn't like coasters that are "too thrilling". TRON will be the fastest ride at MK at 60mph, which is about as fast as Disney likes to go, which is good for their average family audience. It also does not go upside down, making it a "safe, but daring option" in comparison to the neighboring Space Mountain.

Basically, this is MK's RNRC, Everest or GotG. Every park will have a coaster that can be seen as a thrill-option once Tron and GotG are open, even if the thrill is mild on a pure coaster level. For Disney, this is as thrilling as it gets.

Reactions: Clive
It'll be a fine coaster and it's an actual ADDITION to MK, which is nice. It will be a fine addition.

However, Hagrid and the new JP coaster are showing us that you can have a thrilling coaster that is well themed and they are both far from just a short 60 second coaster-in-a-box. Also, most of Disney's Coasters-in-a-box aren't even all that well themed. Tron, Space, RNRC and from the sounds of it GotG are all lightly themed.

Id argue Everest is a in the box coaster with some outdoor parts.

Everest's box is just prettier, and its never ending helix portion is outside instead of inside. When it comes to Disney coasters after the 90s, they're all just too similar.

Really hoping Guardians can shake up the mold

Everest's box is just prettier, and its never ending helix portion is outside instead of inside. When it comes to Disney coasters after the 90s, they're all just too similar.

Really hoping Guardians can shake up the mold

They're either inside a box or train themed to hide the footers with the exception of California Screamin' which was themed to a rollercoaster (?) but they half heartly changed it to something else.

Don't forget Slinky and Barnstormer!

Like California Screamin', that's also themed as a roller coaster, so footers are ok.

5b4cbcda20e3a862008b45a0

I'm not really counting any of the generic coasters.

It is, but at least the box doesn't look like :poop: and the ride has a reasonably respectable ride time.

I really wish Disney would use the opportunity that Dino-Rama is presenting and take this time to pull out the old Excavator plans. Bring in RMC and build a hybrid wooden coaster on that plot of land.

I don’t think
It is, but at least the box doesn't look like :poop: and the ride has a reasonably respectable ride time.

I really wish Disney would use the opportunity that Dino-Rama is presenting and take this time to pull out the old Excavator plans. Bring in RMC and build a hybrid wooden coaster on that plot of land.
Has RMC done anything on the family-friendly side? I know Primeval Whirl had the higher height requirement, but I’d bet Disney would want something more accessible now that Everest is in the park.

I just can’t imagine them adding another ‘big’ coaster right on the heels of Tron and Guardians.

I don’t think

Has RMC done anything on the family-friendly side? I know Primeval Whirl had the higher height requirement, but I’d bet Disney would want something more accessible now that Everest is in the park.

I just can’t imagine them adding another ‘big’ coaster right on the heels of Tron and Guardians.

This probably belongs in the Animal Kingdom thread but I'm sure that RMC would happily do a medium thrill coaster. The only difficult part might be how Disney treats them. I would expect Vekoma or Mack to be used for an Excavator coaster with steel track and the fake wood timbers.