Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

TRON Lightcycle Run

Winter starts on December 21, so early winter is technically 2022.

I still just don't get why people don't get how stopping to kick that out to '22 is completely reasonable and really has nothing to do with there being "no" money. If that was true then Polynesian wouldn't have been pulled forward.

Winter starts on December 21, so early winter is technically 2022.

I still just don't get why people don't get how stopping to kick that out to '22 is completely reasonable and really has nothing to do with there being "no" money. If that was true then Polynesian wouldn't have been pulled forward.
Polynesian is a perfect example actually of there being “no” money. Poly is a huge revenue driver for them, so the fact that Disney is essentially willing to keep it closed for a year after reopening means they want to get the work done when they are seeing minimal traffic to WDW so that Poly is refreshed and ready once travel bounces back.

Polynesian is a perfect example actually of there being “no” money. Poly is a huge revenue driver for them, so the fact that Disney is essentially willing to keep it closed for a year after reopening means they want to get the work done when they are seeing minimal traffic to WDW so that Poly is refreshed and ready once travel bounces back.
I don't think you get how expensive those renovations are - many, many millions being pulled forward to spend now. If there was "no" money, you'd kick it out and do the refurbishment one building at a time like normal.

Very different budgets for hotels and attractions. Also the Poly is necessary and couldn't get pushed off much longer (the Monorail Station was literally falling apart) and it generates revenue. Attractions don't directly generate revenue, so it's harder to find a budget for them. Some reason why they don't replace the monorails-- doesn't make money so there's no budget to fix it.

Nope. Hotels bring in direct profit that they can tout to Wall Street and they know that difference well and good.
I was referring to a specific group of people on the fourth floor.

I’ll just let it go - you really seem to have completely missed my original point and revenue has nothing to do with any of it.

What's the plan for people with bags while riding?

A bit late to reply, but when I visited Shanghai Disneyland in 2018, they were using two methods. A paid locker system under the canopy structure at the entrance before entering the queue, and also a 'put your bag into a "laundry hamper on wheels" at load' system. By the time the ride has finished 1 minute later, a Cast Member has rolled the trolley of loose items/umbrellas/bags for you to collect at the separate unload station. Most riders opted for the free option than the paid lockers. Oh and yup that's correct- there's a tiny storage compartment between the handlebars of the train where I'd put my passport and phone etc. Hope that helps :)

That means the tower crane should finally be coming down.
Will they not still need it for when the glass starts going on the canopy? I feel like it would be easier just to leave it up for the construction pause then take it down and put it back up.

Also, am I crazy, or is WDW’s Canopy smaller than Shanghai’s? I always mentally had it covering more of the side of the show building.

Isn’t completing the canopy part of this stage, before there is a pause? I assume we see the finishings going up? My feeling is they want it to look nice on the outside, while they finish the inside quietly (months from now).

Will they not still need it for when the glass starts going on the canopy? I feel like it would be easier just to leave it up for the construction pause then take it down and put it back up.
I don't think they'll need it for the plexi panels, they should be able to go up without a crane of that size. I'm guessing that is costing them a lot with each day it's still on property, plus it looks awful from inside the park.

Also, am I crazy, or is WDW’s Canopy smaller than Shanghai’s? I always mentally had it covering more of the side of the show building.
I thought the same, but I think it may be the angles you view it from inside Shanghai don't allow you to see the show building the same way. I'll ask my friend who's been to Shanghai...

I don't think they'll need it for the plexi panels, they should be able to go up without a crane of that size. I'm guessing that is costing them a lot with each day it's still on property, plus it looks awful from inside the park.

I thought the same, but I think it may be the angles you view it from inside Shanghai don't allow you to see the show building the same way. I'll ask my friend who's been to Shanghai...
I *think* the TRON crane is owned by Disney (Ik they own at least one tower crane).

I *think* the TRON crane is owned by Disney (Ik they own at least one tower crane).
Yeah, that red one is owned.

Isn’t completing the canopy part of this stage, before there is a pause? I assume we see the finishings going up? My feeling is they want it to look nice on the outside, while they finish the inside quietly (months from now).
If they slow walk the canopy for six months we won't really see a pause in work

Last edited by a moderator:
I assumed fully completing the canopy would happen before a pause, but what do I know.

I think the Chevrolet Design Center has a wave-like exterior that covers more of the building’s left side in Shanghai. It looks like they didn’t bring that building over, so there’s a lot of space between where the canopy ends and the main showbuilding begins as a result.