Universal’s Cinematic Spectacular - Nighttime Show | Inside Universal Forums

Universal’s Cinematic Spectacular - Nighttime Show

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Brian G.

Editor-in-Chief
Jan 21, 2008
Orlando, FL
Screamscape is reporting that USF may get a new show for 2012.

Rumor - (9/13/11) This is only a minor rumor at this point, but there is some speculation that a new nighttime lagoon show may be on the way to Universal Studios Florida in 2012. The old sphere screens and effects system from Universal 360 has been removed over the past few weeks. The empty barges are still afloat in the lagoon from what I understand, awaiting to be used in some fashion for the rumored new show.

Right now there is no telling if this will be an entirely new concept, or a complete revamp and relaunch of the Universal 360 concept. In other entertainment related news, there is also a rumored new daytime parade possibly under consideration for the park in 2012, with many of the characters based on Universal’s animated films like Despicable Me, Hop and the new Lorax film launching in Spring 2012.

I really hope this is true. 360 was crap. And they were kidding themselves thinking it was on par with all the other nighttime shows in Florida. People need a reason to spend more time in the Studios, and there is no better way than a fantastic nighttime show and a parade for the kids.

What needs to happen is a new seating area for this new show to keep it organized into one area. A larger area on the southern end of the lagoon with stadium seating would do wonders if it was themed up to par. But yeah, one area would allow for the creative team to have lots of visual control over what can or can't be seen.

And, of course, it is imperative for Universal to make a good fountain-based show in both parks to attract even more visitors to the evening hours. Fireworks already cause too many problems and aren't needed for a very good show, so projectors (being a thing with which Universal has proven to work well) would work beautifully in both parks' case.

What needs to happen is a new seating area for this new show to keep it organized into one area. A larger area on the southern end of the lagoon with stadium seating would do wonders if it was themed up to par. But yeah, one area would allow for the creative team to have lots of visual control over what can or can't be seen.

And, of course, it is imperative for Universal to make a good fountain-based show in both parks to attract even more visitors to the evening hours. Fireworks already cause too many problems and aren't needed for a very good show, so projectors (being a thing with which Universal has proven to work well) would work beautifully in both parks' case.

Agreed. It's time for Universal 360 to go. It's been around since 2006 and it's still basically the same compliation of clips (with the exception of a few minor additions and subtractions) and it was never very popular to begin with.

Universal 360 just does not impress audiences who are used to Disney-quality nighttime entertainment. Hell, even Busch quality. They really need to go back to the drawing board on that one. And a new parade for the park sounds awesome. Anything that puts a little more of a family focus on Universal and its parks.

Yeah, Universal does parades fantastically, so now the focus is going to go on this show. I really just want a show based on specific highly-successful films with beautiful scenery and sounds like The Shawshank Redemption, The Lord of the Rings trilogy, The Sound of Music, Avatar, Ben-Hur, et cetera, rather than an amalgamation of clips. The fountains should aid the story like WOC.

I still think it should focus on just Universal properties, like Jurassic Park, E.T., King Kong, Despicable Me, Back to the Future, Mamma Mia, Fast Five, plus classics like Dracula, Frankenstein, The Mummy, Phantom of the Opera.

It would be way too limited. And most of those are completely sub-par films to the masterpieces created throughout filmmaking history (e.g. Fast Five as compared to Shawshank). However, Universal films like Kong and E.T. do deserve a section.

I thought the projectors in production central were the ones they just pulled from the lagoon? Can't speak the rumored ones in NY since I haven't had a chance to get a good look at them.

This is my opinion:

I think the show (if their will be one) needs to not be about the Universal movies, but about film making itself like the orginal lagoon show (Dynamite Nights).

With the large catalog of movies they have to work with, Universal could make it work with their own stuff. I would just be worried about it being to similar to 360, and therefore being a stinking pile :lol:

Interesting tech and had a lot of potential..just didn't cut it...interested to see what will happen here...as for the parade, that is something Universal is lacking! IOA could use one too..

IoA isn't designed for one at all. Parades are a nightmare if there's no room for one[see: DAK and EPCOT], and the walkways of IoA are way too small.

DAK's isn't a nightmare. The only real problem with the route is the length. Performers have a looong route to trek. Otherwise it's easy to be in and easy to watch.

Status
Not open for further replies.