Universal Concert Legitimacy? | Inside Universal Forums

Universal Concert Legitimacy?

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Nov 18, 2010
Port of Entry
I was very curious and figured I would ask you guys this question that I've been wondering regarding concerts at Universal Studios.

Whenever I bring up a concert I've been to many people ask me where it was at and I say Universal Orlando, after it has been brought up that the venue was Universal Orlando people just say, "That's not a real concert." or something along those lines.

I have been to numerous concerts at the Amway Center or the Florida Theatre and people say, "Those are REAL concerts."

I was curious as to if anyone has had any similar situations or if you think the Universal Concerts are in-fact legitimate concerts? Why is it that people assume Theme Park Concerts aren't "legitimate'?

By definition it is a concert. Now to most, concerts have different levels. Based on length,price and set up.

For those who say it isn't a concert. I'm guessing because it's at a theme park. I've seen Huey Lewis and The News at Sea-World, Universal and downtown Orlando. It's been pretty much the same concert each time. Though I'm sure seeing them on their own at HOB or Amway. It would be a bigger badder show. I've seen Earth Wind and Fire at both Universal and HOB and it was night and day.

Also theme park concerts are limited based on time and their rules.

I was very curious and figured I would ask you guys this question that I've been wondering regarding concerts at Universal Studios.

Whenever I bring up a concert I've been to many people ask me where it was at and I say Universal Orlando, after it has been brought up that the venue was Universal Orlando people just say, "That's not a real concert." or something along those lines.

I have been to numerous concerts at the Amway Center or the Florida Theatre and people say, "Those are REAL concerts."

I was curious as to if anyone has had any similar situations or if you think the Universal Concerts are in-fact legitimate concerts? Why is it that people assume Theme Park Concerts aren't "legitimate'?

Some people may consider a concert to be the main attraction, and exclude things like themeparks, fairs, and as a part of a ballgame.

I think it has less to do with the concert itself and more to do with the atmosphere. If you go to a concert in a more traditional venue, the fans that are there are fans of that band, have bought tickets, waited in line etc to see that band. In a theme park setting you certainly will have fans of that band who came just to see them but there are also people who just happen to walk by and say what's this, oh I guess I'll watch for a little bit. I think the people who say that a theme park concert isn't a real concert are probably referring more to the comradery of seeing their favorite band in the company of fellow fans more so than the actual content of the concert.

I have seen Huey Lewis At Universal, Sea World, Downtown Orlando and Daytona Beach. The Downtown and Daytona seemed to be a greater ratio of fans to regular people just happening to wander by, especially Daytona as you had to buy a ticket. His show was pretty much the same at each (except Universal where it was cut short due to weather). There was some differences in the fans but not that much.

I always thought it was the quality of the acts that used to regularly perform. In the last few years, we have gotten quite a few bigger names instead of new acts and older acts on the decline. I know some of my favorite shows and bands have been at Universal so in my opinion it is, and definitely regret not going to see some of the new acts that are now pretty big names.

Two bands that I think have really changed the mindset and paved the way for bigger acts would be 30 Seconds to Mars and most recently Weezer.

It's basically all in the venue. Never at a universal concert will you have that concert smell, atmosphere or overall bands people are die hard for. Universal obviously knows that if they hire Metallica or skipnot to play the audience that would go wouldn't be so family friendly. I think of universal concerts as concerts lite. Half the things people do at concerts would never happen at uni. I think it counts because your watching a band on stage with an audience but it's not really an ideal place to watch a normal concert. Hopefully that makes sense and doesn't come off as mindless rambling lol

I think it mostly has to do with the quality of the acts. Has-beens and cover bands aren't really a concert ie:"Sounds Like" series at Epcot. It's more of a "show".
Weezer and Pitbull are current acts playing current hits. It's a concert.

I think it mostly has to do with the quality of the acts. Has-beens and cover bands aren't really a concert ie:"Sounds Like" series at Epcot. It's more of a "show".
Weezer and Pitbull are current acts playing current hits. It's a concert.

How dare you consider Slippery When Wet a mere cover band :p

How dare you consider Slippery When Wet a mere cover band :p

The same way he could consider Cheap Trick a mere has-been, that's what they are. A "tribute band" is a "cover band".

Last edited:
I think the idea might be, at EPCOT, there are 25-minute sets, often the same songs each set. But the shows at Universal tend to be full 60-90 minute sets. It's a full concert, which you don't always see at theme park venues.

I think the idea might be, at EPCOT, there are 25-minute sets, often the same songs each set. But the shows at Universal tend to be full 60-90 minute sets. It's a full concert, which you don't always see at theme park venues.
Some of those acts at Epcot aren't event worth sticking around 25-minutes for half the time.

Yeah that was a joke but on the other side of the coin epcot does get some great bands during summer rock. Granted they are all has beens but I would love to see sugar ray, smashmouth etc. I wish uni could get some of them. Biggest disappointment was seeing goo goo dolls but them not playing long way down less than 50 yards from twister.

Um, mine was a joke too. Obviously Cheap Trick is not a has-been :pound:

I never go to theme parks for the bands alone, everytime I go where a concert happens is by complete accident. Micky Dolenz was a fantastic surprise when I went to Epcot (monkees are the music of my childhood) and I once caught Miranda cosgrove at universal but didn't stick around for obvious reasons, although it was cool to get off despicable me and see the voice actor from the ride right there. I'm also positive this doesn't count but I saw reel big fish at downtown Disney once and it was incredible

Reel Big Fish puts on a heck of a show. I saw them and Britney Spears back in 99 at the Disney Grad Night bash.

Reel Big Fish puts on a heck of a show. I saw them and Britney Spears back in 99 at the Disney Grad Night bash.
Lucky!!! That sounds like the best show ever especially at the time when they were both giant names. It's insane that 20 years later RBF still rocks those amazing shows, haven't aged a bit

Well Universal has a pretty great set up and soundsystem that sounds better then some arena concerts I've been to...I think it has to do with what you are there for..Typically you don't go to a theme park just for the music act while at a concert you do...I think a lot of people have the perception that a theme park concert is crappy (and most are)..but Universal is kind of an exception to that rule

Disney Grad nite concerts used to be the real deal when it was still going on. I just wish that, instead of the has-beens, Disney would actually get big names for Eat to the Beat and let them play full sets. The main problem though (and why it will never happen) would be capacity. Disney doesn't have a good place to hold a "real" concert besides the castle stage or BAH stage at DHS.