Universal Orlando Resort Expansion (Part 1) | Page 207 | Inside Universal Forums

Universal Orlando Resort Expansion (Part 1)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmmmm, a big, multiple Escape Room boutique park? It's not like one of Universal's newer partners has a game revolving around solving puzzles in dungeons to defeat the ultimate evil or anything.

*cough*Zelda*cough*

Now, no, I don't think that would actually happen, but AFAIK the ideas they were kicking around for Zelda were a walkthrough escape-room-like experience
That sounds great and all but no ride? Really?

Well, VB has opened and despite my interest in the final touches over the next month or so, my interest in the Universal Parks declines.

So what is next? We have F&F but that doesn't count for me. I haven't stuck my nose into the business of Nintendo recently except to get the sense that it was a bit sidetracked due to so many factors it would make ones head spin. That said, I am only mildly interested in that project, and that is because of the tech they were investigating for the project. Near impossible tech on such a large scale.

I couldn't care less about Beijing. Japan is... Japan. Singapore doesn't really count. Hollywood is just a distant earthquake for me.

Nope, my heart is in the sweaty swamp called Orlando and UOR. Aaaah... the true fantasy land.

Well, VB has opened and despite my interest in the final touches over the next month or so, my interest in the Universal Parks declines.

So what is next? We have F&F but that doesn't count for me. I haven't stuck my nose into the business of Nintendo recently except to get the sense that it was a bit sidetracked due to so many factors it would make ones head spin. That said, I am only mildly interested in that project, and that is because of the tech they were investigating for the project. Near impossible tech on such a large scale.

I couldn't care less about Beijing. Japan is... Japan. Singapore doesn't really count. Hollywood is just a distant earthquake for me.

Nope, my heart is in the sweaty swamp called Orlando and UOR. Aaaah... the true fantasy land.

Rumors have circulated of a potential replacement project of Dragon Challenge, that would open for the 2019 season; and there is the two new hotels on WNW property and the development on the southern property purchased by UPR back a few months ago.

There are some things to talk about, but from what it seems; things may slow down for the main-land parks of USF and IOA in the near future as I-Drive becomes more the focus.

And while I do think investment will come for the main parks that we know today, the focus after Nintendo should be on what comes next that isn't for IOA, USF, or Volcano Bay (which, seems to be getting another watercoaster by the next two years).

I am curious to see how things die down in the terms of speculation for the two parks we know and love, but it'll be nice to be soon enough in a sphere of discussion on I-Drive and what comes next for Universal Orlando down there in the terms of what they could do to rival Disney.

Reactions: Mike S and Mad Dog

Sooooo, let's talk about more Potter (DC plot). That should interest you since Warner/Rowling kind of coaxes Universal's game up a notch.

I haven't stuck my nose into the business of Nintendo recently except to get the sense that it was a bit sidetracked due to so many factors it would make ones head spin. That said, I am only mildly interested in that project, and that is because of the tech they were investigating for the project. Near impossible tech on such a large scale.
"It's kind of fun to do the impossible."

As far as that lawsuit goes, the best thing (for a Universal fan not Comcast/NBCUniversal) might be for NBCUniversal to lose the lawsuit and then overpay for the remainder (~800 acres) of UCPM III, FQP land.

That would finally reunite ~1300 acres of the original 1800 Viviendi sold way back when, and really reignite hopes for two more 140-160 acre theme parks, a second CityWalk, a second water park, 20000 hotel rooms, etc.

Reactions: Joel
As far as that lawsuit goes, the best thing (for a Universal fan not Comcast/NBCUniversal) might be for NBCUniversal to lose the lawsuit and then overpay for the remainder (~800 acres) of UCPM III, FQP land.

That would finally reunite ~1300 acres of the original 1800 Viviendi sold way back when, and really reignite hopes for two more 140-160 acre theme parks, a second CityWalk, a second water park, 20000 hotel rooms, etc.

I would pay double my current AP price if they promised to do that.

Reactions: IAmFloridaBorn
I would pay double my current AP price if they promised to do that.
That's why I'm baffled by all of the discussions about timing of the 3rd park, it seems that working out the UCPM III/FQP land situation is the most urgent factor.

Technically, yes they can draw up two scenarios: 1) they don't get other land, or 2) they do get the other 800 acres. But it just seems to me that the other land is absolutely essential in order for the "dream scenario" that everybody wants where we really get a 2nd resort roughly 50% larger than the current resort that can create a "full 4 theme park, 2 water park, 2 CityWalk, 30000 hotel room with maybe a monorail between them" mega-resort.

I'd assume that after their past experience with the current Universal Orlando Resort, that they'd really be focused on an overarching plan for the entire ~1300 acres, and only building on the current 475 acres in the context of a grand plan for the whole ~1300 acres.

That way you end up with a plan that allows for future additions without ending up with awkwardly fitting pieces when you do get other parcels of land later.

Reactions: Joel
"dream scenario" that everybody wants where we really get a 2nd resort roughly 50% larger than the current resort that can create a "full 4 theme park, 2 water park, 2 CityWalk, 30000 hotel room with maybe a monorail between them" mega-resort.

People want that? I'm good with the one park they're definitely building, some hotels, and CityWalk 2. Anything more and you really start to stretch yourself thin

Reactions: maxairmike
Considering how it went for Disney, would they event want two more parks?
Disney's cost structure is its real problem; they run a far more inefficient operation than the leaner Orlando parks (Disney has a lot more redundancies built into its cost structure as others can attest, much higher upkeep costs, higher staffing costs, etc.).

Just look at their 2016 parks earnings statements: Disney Parks had $17bn in revenue, $13.7bn in costs to generate that revenue; $3.3bn in operating cash flow.

Universal Parks had $5bn in revenue, $2.8bn in costs to generate that revenue, and $2.2bn in operating cash flow.

Regardless, I think Universal could plan a 2nd resort area in a way that would be just as profitable as its other operations; they certainly have a much better grasp of that aspect of the theme park business than Disney.

People want that? I'm good with the one park they're definitely building, some hotels, and CityWalk 2. Anything more and you really start to stretch yourself thin

I think the Universal executives are planning for the entire ~1300 acre package (including UCPM III/FQP) with the current ~475 acres as a part of that plan.

Yes, they may settle for just the one park and a 2nd CityWalk, but I think the big scheme of things; the real plan is a second resort 50% larger than the first if they can manage to acquire the rest of that land.

Keep in mind that what I said to @fryoj applies here. Universal has much lower costs and has much lower attendance requirements to keep its parks profitable.

Disney needs its parks running at roughly 8-10M attendance each (based on TEA/AECOM numbers) in order to be profitable.

Universal's parks are profitable at 4-5M attendance each because of the much lower cost structure. If they keep that cost structure, then it's very easy to imagine a 3rd and 4th park along with a 2nd CityWalk and 20,000+ hotel rooms (spread among at least 10 hotels) on that new property.

Of course, there's a ton of other issues like IP that come into play, but I think they're planning on a full 2nd resort and will scale back if things like demographics (Florida/Southeast continually increasing in population) don't play out over next 30 years. Of course, securing the other ~800 acres is probably a first priority.

Wizarding world expansion, JP and MSHI refurb and expanded attarctions is what I've been hearing very low. Putting park news aside and focusing on other things. what I want is something super high class and almost like Disneys boardwalk. Something nice, classic, but mixed with a little of Disney springs, and themed towards Universal's style. No more value hotels! I'm so tired of every hotel coming out being significantly cheap, all aimed towards families, and finished very fast. I want a BIG nice as* hotel. Something like $500 a night on a regular weekend. Citywalk is fine but it's not that original, and diverse. It's not a bad thing but Universal needs variety. Disney springs has different types of sections and resturants and it looks amazing which is what I want for Universal.

Reactions: tankart150
Wizarding world expansion, JP and MSHI refurb and expanded attarctions is what I've been hearing very low. Putting park news aside and focusing on other things. what I want is something super high class and almost like Disneys boardwalk. Something nice, classic, but mixed with a little of Disney springs, and themed towards Universal's style. No more value hotels! I'm so tired of every hotel coming out being significantly cheap, all aimed towards families, and finished very fast. I want a BIG nice as* hotel. Something like $500 a night on a regular weekend. Citywalk is fine but it's not that original, and diverse. It's not a bad thing but Universal needs variety. Disney springs has different types of sections and resturants and it looks amazing which is what I want for Universal.

david-tennant.gif

Those types of hotels are typically the last item on the agenda...; given how many people/families need to be "moved" through the ecosystem, those will only really be possible if they go for the full 2nd resort and buy the entire other ~800 acres to create a 1300 acre 2nd resort where they build something like 15,000-20,000 rooms.

I think another plus that helps UNI with cost are things like the resorts not being so far apart, having partners in the hotel business, little things like that add up.

I think they know exactly what they are doing. The rumors of more land (or at least starting plans for more gates) a few years before they got the land. I mean, when was it when the CEO mentioned the number of rooms they could build?

But I thought it odd that they wouldn't bid on the land when it came up only to learn they already had a deal with the debt owner that was forcing the action just showed me that they have had a plan for some time.

Also, how many of the hotels in the area can last as Comcast sort of boxes them out? But I did see it looked like someone was building a hotel next to the Holiday Inn.

Status
Not open for further replies.