Universal Studios Beijing (Now Open) | Page 9 | Inside Universal Forums

Universal Studios Beijing (Now Open)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Both! Both is good.
bth.gif

So what we know from Universal Studios Beijing so far is the concept art showing a hotel that would be the main entrance to the park. Attractions that are likely to be featured is Jurassic Park, Transformers, King Kong, the Mummy, Harry Potter, Dr Seuss. It would likely incorporate themed areas from Singapore such as Sci-Fi City, New York, Shrek, Madagascar, Ancient Egypt, and others.

Popular attractions that would not be included are those based on Marvel Comics characters, as Disney officially owns Marvel since 2009 and no Universal theme park has its presence in China unlike Disney parks in HK and Shanghai. Nintendo properties are not likely to be included in Beijing (due to the country's lack of interest in such properties) anytime in the future.

So what we know from Universal Studios Beijing so far is the concept art showing a hotel that would be the main entrance to the park. Attractions that are likely to be featured is Jurassic Park, Transformers, King Kong, the Mummy, Harry Potter, Dr Seuss. It would likely incorporate themed areas from Singapore such as Sci-Fi City, New York, Shrek, Madagascar, Ancient Egypt, and others.

Popular attractions that would not be included are those based on Marvel Comics characters, as Disney officially owns Marvel since 2009 and no Universal theme park has its presence in China unlike Disney parks in HK and Shanghai. Nintendo properties are not likely to be included in Beijing (due to the country's lack of interest in such properties) anytime in the future.

Dont go off concept art. Its really meaningless, those were filler.

Reactions: AlexanderMBush

It'd be wise to not go too into the conceptual art.

However, with 1,000 acres with a 300 theme park for phase 1 (possibly two theme parks for phase II or III), it'll be a whole lot bigger than Islands of Adventure or Universal Studios Florida. I just hope if Beijing use King Kong, it will be consisted of practical effects instead of being wasted into 3D screen simulator attractions USH and IOA have. King Kong from Peter Jackson's version deserves to be fully immersive as New York City's King Kong from Kongfrontation at USF and King King Encounter at USH.

The only things confirmed about the hotels for now are that Phase 1 includes a "Universal branded hotel and a Nuo branded hotel"; those two are possible to interact with the first theme park in some new/innovative way. It could be the entrance thing you were talking about but like the others said, that could be one possible design though.

They basically just used placeholder images that look similar to UOF/IoA for the rest, we can assume those are there to prevent IP/design theft because China right now has like hundreds of theme parks in development, and the others are all watching the "majors" (Disney/Universal) to see what theirs look like in the major cities.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mad Dog
Universal just hired Tom Mehrmann, former CEO of Hong Kong's Ocean Park, as Universal Beijing's GM & President. Notable that Ocean Park consistently beat Disney's Hong Kong park in attendance. Sounds like a great choice.

Reactions: zg44
I guess it won't likely to be open until 2021 as far as I know, considering the opening might be delayed due to the amount of work given to this project. Should we expect a Jurassic World-type ride at Universal Studios Beijing? Seeing how badly run Jurassic Park the ride in Hollywood is, I do think Universal Studios should at least base the rides off the Jurassic World movies.

Reactions: Quint
Yes. 2021.

The JW Gyrosphere ride is supposed to be one of the parks MegaE-Tickets.

I really hope it's based on actual practical sets and animatronics rather than the over-reliance of screens and 3d effects, is unfortunately how Universal treats its own IPs nowadays. Fast and Furious Supercharged at Universal Studios Florida and Skull ISland at Islands of Adventure. This is also possibly the first JP attraction not based on a water ride, which is welcoming considering the JP is largely land-based action.

Reactions: GadgetGuru
I guess it won't likely to be open until 2021 as far as I know, considering the opening might be delayed due to the amount of work given to this project. Should we expect a Jurassic World-type ride at Universal Studios Beijing? Seeing how badly run Jurassic Park the ride in Hollywood is, I do think Universal Studios should at least base the rides off the Jurassic World movies.
As far as dates go, the only really important date around there for Beijing generally is the 2022 Winter Olympics in Feb. 2022, so they're probably aiming for sometime around early/mid-2021 to open the park, 2 hotels, and CityWalk.

Given the $ being put into this project (likely upwards to $15bn across the 3 phases planned), I'd be surprised if it doesn't meet all deadlines given all of the political backing it has.

Universal just hired Tom Mehrmann, former CEO of Hong Kong's Ocean Park, as Universal Beijing's GM & President. Notable that Ocean Park consistently beat Disney's Hong Kong park in attendance. Sounds like a great choice.

Hong Kong Disneyland wasn't that hard to beat. I think even USS beats Hong Kong Disneyland in attendance. However Universal overseas park presidents are >>>>> than the ones they hire in the US. Glenn Glumpel former president of USJ who is the biggest reason Nintendo is coming and also was part of the Sanrio deal. He was instrumental in coordinating with Japanese partners.

Reactions: Mad Dog
Hong Kong Disneyland wasn't that hard to beat. I think even USS beats Hong Kong Disneyland in attendance. However Universal overseas park presidents are >>>>> than the ones they hire in the US. Glenn Glumpel former president of USJ who is the biggest reason Nintendo is coming and also was part of the Sanrio deal. He was instrumental in coordinating with Japanese partners.
I don't think USS has very decent attendance either...But Mehrmann has gone up against Disney twice, with his stints at Ocean Park & Knotts, so, in a strange sort of way, he can be Universal's "Disney Swatter". ;):lol::)

Can we not go from like zero-to-SCREENZZZZ in like two seconds for once?

It's a big concern considering Universal treats its own IPs as fillers whereas they treat its external IPs as the main priority, and this seems to be a growing trend for Universal lately. Harry Potter is still at the hands of Warner Bros. and JK Rowling, and Mario and his pals and other Nintendo-created characters are still at the hands of Nintendo. There's no doubt Beijing will have the most high-tech rides, but we also should never forget how Universal treat its own IPs lately and how it will affect future plans for Beijing.

As far as dates go, the only really important date around there for Beijing generally is the 2022 Winter Olympics in Feb. 2022, so they're probably aiming for sometime around early/mid-2021 to open the park, 2 hotels, and CityWalk.

Given the $ being put into this project (likely upwards to $15bn across the 3 phases planned), I'd be surprised if it doesn't meet all deadlines given all of the political backing it has.

Hopefully it will be bigger and more better than the previous parks.