Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Universal Studios Beijing (Now Open)

As people have elegantly put--I would suspect english, american, and chinese food to be intertwined.

I'm expecting JW to have similar food items to what Hollywood has at their Jurassic Cafe, only with a few more mandarin-inspired dishes. Potter should be the standard english food, and I would expect american/mandarin oriented food for Transformers and the Hollywood area.

Kung Fu Panda, Waterworld and Minion Land..they confuse me on what they may do
Mr. Ping's Noodle House and Kung Fu Panda Express (except authentic Chinese street food).
Waterworld- lots of fish.
Minion Land- Dim Sum and Bao are popular with kids in China so I would imagine something like that.

Forget the food and just stare at this beauty:
View attachment 13527
and a lot more on themparx:
Is USB's FJ building oriented differently than the others? Maybe it's just the angle, but it looks like the long and short side of the show building swapped places.

Ok, for some reason, I'm not a fan of the JW mountain.

It doesn't look as realistic as VB, Skull Island, or Velocicoaster's

Is it not complete yet or am I just being picky

I agree with you concerning the mountains.

I really appreciate the efforts Universal is making with rockwork in this park (transformers base, the HP rockwork is looking better than ever) but my problem with the JP one is the art direction. The mountains colors appears to be oversaturates and the rocks geology is unrealistic and almost over-detailed.

A rock face is not just about cracks it's also a question of smooth surfaces, rocklides, smaller rocks etc.

Here's a quick & dirty photoshop i've done using Shanghai Disneyland, Adventure Isle mountain texture. IMO the sculpture of the rocks is way more realistic. I've also re-work the edges of the lagoon in more realistic and natural ones, i think it add a well needed touch of vegetation and help adding dept to the scene.
E518820C-0FF5-4943-85FF-056D959F1FBC.jpeg

For reference here’s the original mountain

F50AB2DD-16CD-434E-8E39-1EDA77C71811.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
For reference here’s the original mountain (sorry for the double post)

View attachment 13531
The original looks much better than yours. Theme park colors are painted slightly over saturated because after a year they will fade to a more natural color. Also, colors in photos are not usually how they appear to be in real life and the photo you posted has some post processing done to it. The colors are much more muted in this photo. And as for geology it's spot on. You can find similar rock formations all over the globe. A quick "Red Rock Mountain" google search would show you plenty of examples.

screen-shot-2020-11-06-at-12.48.00-am.png

Last edited:
The original looks much better than yours. Theme park colors are painted slightly over saturated because after a year they will fade to a more natural color. Also, colors in photos are not usually how they appear to be in real life and the photo you posted has some post processing done to it. The colors are much more muted in this photo. And as for geology it's spot on. You can find similar rock formations all over the globe. A quick "Red Rock Mountain" google search would show you plenty of examples.

As someone who lives in large red rock territories, yeah it's actually accurate to the way the formation is. It'll be better once the lagoon is fully filled and the facade weathers.

Well I guess it’s a question of personal taste Then

I totally agree with you concerning the picture i’ve used, also the sun directly hitting the rocks made the colors very vibrant (and if you add the filter ...)

Concerning the sculpture the point i was trying to made was about the art direction of the rocks within the landscape. The sculpture look on point that’s not the problem and I love what they did with the base (lower rocks on your picture). Simply for me the very layered look of the rocks (even if it’s and accurate Depiction of this kind of rocks formation) make it a little bit « heavy » because of the detailed nature of it, thus creating a more Theme park-ish panorama.

That’s why I used the Disney Adventure Isle rock as an exemple, because i thaught that the sculpture make it appear more "realisitc" and visually taller while sharing similarities in their overal shapes.

But of course the setting is not the same, the Disney Adventure rock is hinding a facade and your not able to walk around it (allowing disney to use force perspective), also the nature of the rock formation is not the same.

They did a great work, i'm not saying otherwise, it's just an overal feeling i have.

Attachments

• 37FEECA8-BE10-40FC-A974-A53C20292B01.jpeg
    37FEECA8-BE10-40FC-A974-A53C20292B01.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 38
Don't forget how terrible the pollution is in Beijing, they probably took this into account when building the mountain/picking the colors, and Im sure it will look different in person than it does in pics.

The only problem I have with he JW mountain is the ugly coaster & coaster supports they went with. Its one of those 'over engineered' looking rides which even once blended in with foliage will look a little jarring. But thats a minor issue for me in a park that looks to have been done really really well.

I've added it to my visit list :thumbsup:

Is USB's FJ building oriented differently than the others? Maybe it's just the angle, but it looks like the long and short side of the show building swapped places.

Might just be angle of the pic, or they have orientated the castle better to hide the show building from the black lake photo spot?

After seeing this restaurant and getting a better taste of what a fully themed land for waterworld looks like, i’d love a waterworld miniland at TL theater.
As much as I think this should be in the studios yes, this makes the most sense for Orlando. IOA desperately needs a show in my opinion so I wish they’d do this.