Universal Studios Florida: What Do We Think About It? | Page 28 | Inside Universal Forums

Universal Studios Florida: What Do We Think About It?

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Bringing this over into this thread to avoid derailing a different one!

My dream Universal ride is a dark ride version of the Studio Tour from Hollywood that's basically this. Have the ride vehicles be DeLoreans and travel through the different USF rides/experiences from the 90s like Jaws, Kongfrontation, BTTF, Earthquake, Hanna Barbera, Ghostbusters, Psycho, etc. So like a combo of the Studio Tour from USH and The Great Movie Ride from Disney's Hollywood Studios. That would be amazing.
This would be my dream project for USF, as well.

I don't expect they would ever do this even if they went with the concept, but you could even pull scenes directly from some of those older attractions for inspiration:
  • PSYCHO: The miniature Bates Motel and forced perspective Bates house from Alfred Hitchcock: The Art of Making Movies
  • JAWS: The boathouse scene from the ride.
  • KONGFRONTATION: The bridge scene.
  • EARTHQUAKE: The standard station sequence as seen (more or less) on both coasts.
  • GHOSTBUSTERS: Confrontation with the Stay-Puft Marshmallow Man on top of the high rise from the Ghostbusters Spooktacular show.
Use projection domes or tunnels as transitional sequences of the DeLorean "traveling through time" (which is really taking us from movie to movie).

I don't expect they would ever do this even if they went with the concept, but you could even pull scenes directly from some of those older attractions for inspiration:
  • PSYCHO: The miniature Bates Motel and forced perspective Bates house from Alfred Hitchcock: The Art of Making Movies
  • EARTHQUAKE: The standard station sequence as seen (more or less) on both coasts.
  • GHOSTBUSTERS: Confrontation with the Stay-Puft Marshmallow Man on top of the high rise from the Ghostbusters Spooktacular show.
Use projection domes or tunnels as transitional sequences of the DeLorean "traveling through time" (which is really taking us from movie to movie).
Surely an actual great movie ride would foreground some things made before 1975 and not just act as an excuse to bring back old rides/franchises. The cool thing about The Great Movie Ride was that it was about all of movies.

Surely an actual great movie ride would foreground some things made before 1975 and not just act as an excuse to bring back old rides/franchises. The cool thing about The Great Movie Ride was that it was about all of movies.
I think you missed the point of what we both said lol. We want a USF version of this kind of ride, not just "The Great Movie Ride" but now at Universal. Also we both said we would want Psycho included in this ride and that came out in 1960.

I was just riffing off @saint.piss' original post with those specific properties.

I'd be perfectly happy to see a wide variety of films from all eras also represented.

This is actually the thing that killed GMR (as well as limiting it from the beginning). Outside classic horror, MGM/Disney had most of the classic movies from before 1970 locked up, while Universal had every cool non-Lucas movie 1970 - 1989 locked up. I think @belloq87's list would be greatly improved with the inclusion of The Godfather and Rocky, for instance--both solely missing from GMR--but the bench isn't very deep before those.

All theoretical, of course. Outside HHN, nostalgia-core is not in Universal Orlando's DNA.

We'll see how Dark Universe shakes out, but I suspect there would be the option to include a scene from a Classic Monsters movie (because Dark Universe is not based on the movies, but inspired by them) without feeling like there's overlap.

Recreating the grand staircase of Castle Dracula would be incredible, and since we're not getting it at Epic Universe...
Dracula-109384246-large.jpg

Last edited:

They could even start or end the ride with a simulator section that takes you through Hill Valley 2015 from BTTF: The Ride

I really like this idea for a great movie ride. Maybe you could even add the T-Rex breakout scene from JP to the mix. I agree that they should leave all of the major scenes to the classic 1991 lineup, but maybe they could also have some smaller sets that you pass through along the way that represent additional properties like mini versions of WhoVille and War of the Worlds

We'll see how Dark Universe shakes out, but I suspect there would be the option to include a scene from a Classic Monsters movie (because Dark Universe is based on the movies, but inspired by them) without feeling like there's overlap.

Recreating the grand staircase of Castle Dracula would be incredible, and since we're not getting it at Epic Universe...
Dracula-109384246-large.jpg
Have to do some self-promoting. Over at Universal Roblox we have this exact scene during a Classic Horror section on our Epic Movie Ride attraction... which is essentially a Universal version of the Great Movie Ride but as an omnimover.