Universal Studios Hollywood - Technology | Inside Universal Forums

Universal Studios Hollywood - Technology

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Jon Fu

Editor-in-Chief Emeritus
Jul 26, 2010
California
This might be a niche thread, but I've always been fascinated with the audio and visual aspect of theme parks - especially with Universal Studios Hollywood.

If you find any information related to the tech used at Universal, feel free to add it here.

I'll start: Special Effects Stage apparently uses some pretty high-end equipment left over from Creature.

It's composed mainly of Meyer Sound's M1D and a few trap boxes from their lineup.

Last edited by a moderator:
Didn't Universal just add new speakers to Animal Actors a few weeks ago?

Ahhh the technology Universal uses is great on the newer stuff :) They really love to use top of the line equipment, ill give them that! The sound system on Transformers is soooo amazing. Can't get over it. I wish they'd update the sound system on Jurassic Park too.

I wish they'd update the sound system on Jurassic Park too.
To their credit, they do. But that entire attraction is hellish for audio equipment. I've seen them rotate and switch speakers on a constant basis, so it's the environment that's causing havoc.

Regardless, I still stand by my word that our Jurassic Park has the best sound out of all three attractions - with Japan at a close second. 

I've seen the speakers change, for what it's worth.

Who knows. Maybe the problem goes a bit deeper.

Maybe they've been water damaged? Gosh I don't know, but it didn't sound that good when i went, with the exception of the interior from the first T-rex to the drop.

I actually wish the roar of the final T-rex was louder and with more of a bass to it. Similar to the effect you get when Megatron talks, which is epic.

The park uses a plethora of Bose speakers throughout the park and in CityWalk:

FreeSpace DS 40SE

fs_ds_40se_xlg.jpg

http://worldwide.bose.com/pro/en_us/web/fs_ds_100se_loudspeaker/page.html

Panaray MA12EX

panaray_ma12ex_xlg.jpg

http://worldwide.bose.com/pro/en_us/web/panaray_ma12ex_modular_line_array_loudspeaker/page.html

I personally think it's a step down from their previous park-wide setup, but I'll leave that to the experts.

That's right… they're "Better Off with Something Else"  :lol:
I don't want to say all Bose products are bad (I have a pair of their computer speakers and they don't sound half bad), but I do think it's a downgrade to the Tannoy system Universal had before. For what it's worth, Islands of Adventure uses Bose throughout the park and it sounds quite decent.

On a different note...

IMG_5905 by InsideUniversal.net, on Flickr

Reactions: BernardMesa
My one gripe with that: King Kong's growl isn't loud enough for my taste. Not the fault of the sound system, I just wish they made his growl louder :p

But yeah, sound system is fantastic :)
Ride was actually louder when it first opened but the bass was shaking the sensors on the attraction and making the ride malfunction. or so i hear.

I personally feel that both are plenty loud, but both attractions face unique challenges. Jurassic Park has to deal with the constant stream of liquid (which wrecks havoc on speakers), and King Kong needs to have its speakers located up high because it doesn't use an acoustically transparent screen. Like the Simpsons, King Kong was originally supposed to have its sound located behind the screen facing directly towards you (the ideal position), but for whatever reason, the creative team favored the current setup you see now.

I've also heard stories about Peter Jackson not liking the original screen, hence the sacrifice in sound.