Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Universal's Epic Universe General News & Discussion

I don't see anything for 2022. Maybe a new restaurant in Citywalk? Otherwise they just push everything they've added in the last five years. Kong, Fallon, Hagrid, Bourne, and the Velocicoaster. Then maybe Pets for a 2023 USF addition and Jurassic World as a 2024 Islands addition. Then Nintendo in Kidzone sometime after and EU within the decade. That gets you some additions in the form of clones, Nintendo, and EU. Doesn't seem like much, but if you distributed all the rides from EU across the two existing parks, it's quite a significant attraction increase.

EDIT: Not saying we all wouldn't want to see that USJ parade come over, I just don't think anything is coming for 2022.
They have to expand VB at some point IMO. Adding 2-3 more hotels with EU, not to mention the monster that is Dockside, the park is just too small to handle the amount of on-site guests

They have to expand VB at some point IMO. Adding 2-3 more hotels with EU, not to mention the monster that is Dockside, the park is just too small to handle the amount of on-site guests
I agree that it's necessary, it's just that people on the forums have indicated its not a priority.

EDIT: So eventually, just not 2022.

I keep thinking the most glaring issue for Universal right now is Kids Zone. A refresh/retheme would be relatively cheap and be a draw for families. It's only when you bring kids ot the park that you realize how little there is that's kid friendly in Studios, even compared to Islands with Seuss and Camp Jurassic. They could easily keep a majority of Kids Zone and just a a couple of new themed flat rides to create a Trolls land or a Super Silly Fun Land. That wouldn't be a major draw, but would be something new, just like Bourne was.

I think EU will be back on track soon enough for 2024/5.

I wouldn’t be surprised if SLOP comes in 2022 to replace Shrek, or if they turned it into the Dreamworks Theater even. Something that requires minimal investment/creative teams and is an easy “boom, done, promote, open” in a 1 year timeframe.

These would be a couple transition projects in the interim to at least keep interest and combat Disney’s new attractions like Tron, Guardians, etc.

I only say that because of the predicted tourism boom, which should potentially hit in 2022/2023. They won’t want to be lost in Disney’s shadow.

Last edited:
I wouldn’t be surprised if SLOP comes in 2022 to replace Shrek, or if they turned it into the Dreamworks Theater even. Something that requires minimal investment/creative teams and is an easy “boom, done, promote, open” in a 1 year timeframe.

These would be a couple transition projects in the interim to at least keep interest and combat Disney’s new attractions like Tron, Guardians, etc.

I only say that because of the predicted tourism boom, which should potentially hit in 2022/2023. They won’t want to be lost in Disney’s shadow.

The cheapest thing to do with SLOP would be to rebrand Animal Actors, given that they have dogs out from time to time.

And you could easily put some makeshift temporary walkthrough attraction in Shrek theatre. I don't know what exactly, but it's possible.

Dreamworks Theater in Shrek is the quickest new “attraction.” That conversion could likely take less than 12 months (if they don’t replace the seat mechanisms).

If they want a true “cheap,” low-risk draw for either park in 2022 though...

Spongebob musical in Toon amphitheater or Beetlejuice musical in Fear Factor. Run it starting in March until it becomes untenable to keep it running. If it becomes a hit, up the investment a little to enclose/refurb the venue.

Last edited:
Dreamworks Theater in Shrek is the quickest new “attraction.” That conversion could likely take less than 12 months (if they don’t replace the seat mechanisms).

If they want a true “cheap,” low-risk draw for either park in 2022 though...

Spongebob musical in Toon amphitheater or Beetlejuice musical in Fear Factor. Run it starting in March until it becomes untenable to keep it running. If it becomes a hit, up the investment a little to enclose/reverb the venue.

So quick and easy they could have had it done by now but everyone was complaining about screens so they stoped doing it!

So quick and easy they could have had it done by now but everyone was complaining about screens so they stoped doing it!
Unrelated, but it's still insane that Universal copied something from Motiongate Dubai (albeit with major changes).

I think a DreamWorks theater style thing could be cool, especially if the entrance could be reworked to make it center stage when you come in the park.

but I would make it the “Universal Theater”. Theme the queue with props and characters from Universal history, and then make the film a “Great Movie Ride” like experience where the story takes us through great moments in Uni film history

I think a DreamWorks theater style thing could be cool, especially if the entrance could be reworked to make it center stage when you come in the park.

but I would make it the “Universal Theater”. Theme the queue with props and characters from Universal history, and then make the film a “Great Movie Ride” like experience where the story takes us through great moments in Uni film history
All I know is...Shrek has got to go. It’s so outdated now from a tech and IP standpoint. You can say something like E.T. deserves to stay since it’s a classic (though I would say that needs an overhaul/refurb too), but when you have Shrek next door to Jimmy Fallon and Despicable Me, it feels so old.

All I know is...Shrek has got to go. It’s so outdated now from a tech and IP standpoint. You can say something like E.T. deserves to stay since it’s a classic (though I would say that needs an overhaul/refurb too), but when you have Shrek next door to Jimmy Fallon and Despicable Me, it feels so old.
I agree. Shrek is also the kind of property that doesn’t benefit from nostalgia as much as most. The movies are too much a work of their time with pop culture references galore.

I agree. Shrek is also the kind of property that doesn’t benefit from nostalgia as much as most. The movies are too much a work of their time with pop culture references galore.
Don't forget there is a Smash Mouth song in it....reason enough to kill it before it hurts anyone else

Oh, definitely. But if a one-for-one screen attraction swap fits as an aperitif before a new land in KidZone (or EU itself), the cynics can deal.

As far as the mention of the parade--I actually would argue that they may try to ship Universal Spectacle. Reconfigure the projection mapping for certain buildings--and you'd be possibly able to do it on a cheap level that wouldn't require much in a massive way or shape.

That said, a DWTheater would be the pure--cheap option. Especially if they just simply repurpose the KFP film modified for Hollywood (which, would be a great addition especially from seeing it in action).

I would take the DreamWorks Theater concept replacing Shrek, because I think its time (the specific attraction, not necessarily Shrek as an IP) has come... but I truly believe it would be a missed opportunity if they don't get a dark ride in the front of the park and replace one of the (four!) screen attractions clustered there.

Not sure how cheap it’d be or if the attractions would fit, but porting DW Theater to Shrek, SLoP to Despicable Me, and building out Beijing’s Minion Land in KidZone would at least keep R&D costs down.

Not sure how cheap it’d be or if the attractions would fit, but porting DW Theater to Shrek, SLoP to Despicable Me, and building out Beijing’s Minion Land in KidZone would at least keep R&D costs down.

I whole-heartedly agree with this idea, but I would have Minions move to San Francisco so that you can kill off F&F. You can easily fit 2 theaters into F&F (plus space for a small dark ride) - and San Francisco already has a similar boardwalk theme to Beijing's land - just add vibrant colors and minions throughout.

Back to EU, I'm hoping HTTYD is re-designed so we can get Kung Fu Panda.