Video: Studio Tour and Special Effects Stage (1993) | Inside Universal Forums

Video: Studio Tour and Special Effects Stage (1993)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Awsome video! I was four months old....Haha It sounds like the tour guide from my first tour in 1996! Also, i prefer the falling tree during the flash flood. And earthquake used to have so many more practical special effects like more fire, steam, smoke and sparks!

And geez, Special Effects Stages used to be so amazing. Especially jealous of the BTTF segment, would've loved to be Marty next to a screaming amateur Jennifer haha. Or Doc Brown! It in general used to be more entertaining to watch, even on repeat visits. The practical/optical effects and the sets and sound effect section, etc. All made such an entertaining show. AND backdraft had more intense fire i see!

This is awesome. I was 8 years old and totally remember all of this! I miss the Special Effects Stage.. my favorite part was the Hitchcock room! Thanks for bringing back memories from when I was a kid! 

Btw, the studio tour probably until Earthquake reopens is doing the Collapsing Bridge again. Not sure if this was mentioned anywhere else, but I was shocked when we turned onto it after Kong today!
We've been hearing this but haven't been able to confirm until your post.

How did the trams maneuver the area? I'd imagine it'd be pretty awkward.

I need to experience this in person just to see some guest reactions after they've experienced King Kong. Collapsing Bridge is great, but it ain't no Kong.

Plus, that pattern seems unusual - but hey. It works.

I'll be honest, it seemed very random and anti-climatic. We exited Kong and the guide as always gushes about it, and then suddenly just as we turn, goes, "Oh yeah this bridge..."

We do the old bit with the demolitions, he cracks a couple jokes and moves... right back onto Kong.
Was expecting that. Too bad they can't do the bridge first.

Shame that. I really do like the collapsing effect since it's such a staple of the tour, but the experience is diminished after experiencing Kong. Plus, its inclusion - as you mentioned - feels too arbitrary. A checklist, almost (well, it is on the checklist for the guides to do, so that obviously explains things).

Oh well. At least they're using it. Can't imagine coming up with the spiel to link both elements together.

"You know what King Kong loves to climb in his spare time? Bridges. And we have one here today."

Last edited by a moderator:
Saw this one a year back, around the two-minute mark the driver takes us into Courthouse Square... still dressed as 2015 in BTTF Part 2.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/Nz2EtHgkyZA?feature=oembed
That's so amazing seeing the BTTF Part 2 set! And especially seeing the Delorean and taxi cab right before they enter the set! Some nice views of the sets that you don't see in detail in the movie. Super jealous! Also, kinda lame that the tour guide mentions false info by saying that in the first film in the opening scene, the man driving the jeep that Marty hangs on to at the beginning is Harrison Ford, but it's actually stunt coordinator Walter Scott. So...yeah lol Also, this was filmed a month before the 3rd one came out! So cool!

Also, i actually kinda miss the bridge! Although i feel that this wouldn't be possible due to the location that Kong realistically had to be built, in my ideal world, i'd have the bridge LEAD into Kong. Like, us cross the old bridge, "collapse", and then drive straight into Kong! Would've been cool.

Last edited by a moderator: