What is it about Halloween Horror Nights? | Page 2 | Inside Universal Forums

What is it about Halloween Horror Nights?

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
The scarezones last year were better than the previous year without a doubt.

They did have some issues though:
The survivors being turned and zombies overwhelming the streets as the event went on wasn't incredibly apparent, it likely looked spectacular on paper but the execution would be difficult at best.
Some of the better scarezones turned into photo ops. The barn, walker eating the deer, crawling torso, and even the barn became nothing more than a train of people posing and taking pictures.

I'm all for people taking pictures but when they have to move scenery and lose effects because the rubbernecking gets so bad, something needs to change. Be it the mindset of the visitors or the policies of HHN.

the problem always is you cannot fault people for wanting to take a pic of the event...It's like, someone flies over from another state, is spending hundreds of dollars that one night, they probably want to get as much from the event as they can.

and the problem with Uni is that they act on extremes when it comes to pic taking at the park during HHN, they either make the zones into photo ops or they flat out refuse to let anyone take a pic. either way it sucks. if they are too lenient then we get the problems we had with last year, But if they become too strict then anyone seen with a camera in their hands gets yelled at and harassed by managers on the zones like it happened in 2011.

I am a theme park junkie to begin with, but there is something about staying in park with the normal crowd gone, when laughter turns into screams... It is different and I like it. Last year we went down a day early and spent some time in City walk until the wee hours of the morning. I found myself standing in front of the Universal gates with not a soul in site, but could still hear the sounds of saws doing last minute fixes, and the fog machines being tested... It was surreal.

Some of the better scarezones turned into photo ops. The barn, walker eating the deer, crawling torso, and even the barn became nothing more than a train of people posing and taking pictures.

I'm all for people taking pictures but when they have to move scenery and lose effects because the rubbernecking gets so bad, something needs to change. Be it the mindset of the visitors or the policies of HHN.

I agree, tho this was hardly limited to TWD zones. I remember it was a real issue with Grown Evil, to the point scare-actors would actively avoid photos, only to have Universal get enough complaints halfway through the event that policy was changed and scare-actors were seemingly ordered to pose. Not sure what the solution is.

the problem always is you cannot fault people for wanting to take a pic of the event...It's like, someone flies over from another state, is spending hundreds of dollars that one night, they probably want to get as much from the event as they can.

and the problem with Uni is that they act on extremes when it comes to pic taking at the park during HHN, they either make the zones into photo ops or they flat out refuse to let anyone take a pic. either way it sucks. if they are too lenient then we get the problems we had with last year, But if they become too strict then anyone seen with a camera in their hands gets yelled at and harassed by managers on the zones like it happened in 2011.

I understand that they want to take pictures and they do have the right to without a doubt (to a certain extent), but it doesn't help the atmosphere at all. I was certainly one of the people during a few years posing with some of the scareactors like Alice and Lucy (? girl from orphanage), but I feel that spot was one of the more photo oppy areas. If it isn't one of those areas, I will either take drive by pictures or skip it entirely.

It is hard for the scareactors to get a scare off and it pulls them out of the zone. There was one zombie guy at the barn last year that was doing an amazing job of going after everyone and especially some of the picture takers strolling in and out of it. It was awesome, if you watched him you could see him target someone and then make his way over and pull off an awesome scare.

Perhaps that could be an answer, go after the absurdly long picture takers with a vengence. Scares and photobombs if they take too long and maybe some extra fog for good measure.