Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

What rides would be considered "Story Coasters"?

That pre-show was the best thing Six Flags had done in a looong time theming wise

I remember watching the pre-show for the first time on YouTube when it first opened, and the graffiti reveal and laughter from the Joker gave me chills. From there it, uh, yeah goes downhill, haha.

I think story coasters, to me, are anything that involve dark-ride like elements with some coaster sections. Everest, Hagrid, Mummy, Gringotts, Seven Dwarfs are all story coasters for me. Everything else is a well themed coaster with a story that's not necessary to enjoy the attraction.

Superman at Six Flags America: So many straight sections that the ride allows you to recount any story you want. The ultimate story coaster

Here’s how I’d designate it:

Is the coaster trying to bring you into a heavily-themed environment? Are the coaster elements justified in-world (as train tracks, a flying motorcycle, a bobsled run etc.)? Is there an evocative backstory OR a series of show scenes on the ride itself? If the answer to at least two of those questions is yes, I would consider it a “story” coaster.