What's the mystery project/land clearing in the backlot? | Inside Universal Forums

What's the mystery project/land clearing in the backlot?

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Jul 1, 2021
Los Angeles
I have noticed a massive area of land clearing happening in the backlot near little italy/earthquake building on the studio tour, does anyone know what this could be?

I have noticed a massive area of land clearing happening in the backlot near little italy/earthquake building on the studio tour, does anyone know what this could be?
I think it is production improvements they have had planned. A note to the community from Universal here:

We want you to be aware that as we continue to invest in the property, you may hear some construction noise and see grading work of the hillside closest to the Barham Gate during the next few months to prepare the area for future production growth.

Reactions: RevFreako
I think it is production improvements they have had planned. A note to the community from Universal here:

We want you to be aware that as we continue to invest in the property, you may hear some construction noise and see grading work of the hillside closest to the Barham Gate during the next few months to prepare the area for future production growth.
Oh cool! Is this so they can demo other areas of the lower lot for theme park expansion?

I think I saw somewhere that there was a rumored transportation center being built?

I think that is going where the Cabin used to be
Transportation center doesnt make sense next to falls lake. There are trucks stored there now, but I think the site close to the Barham entrance makes more sense since that was originally where studio assets were stored. The map from the plans isn’t very specific and we all know plans could change.

We noticed this construction on our way out of the park yesterday. It's a huge site, but nowhere near the rest of the theme park, (way behind both Falls Lake and Psycho House, and relatively near residential) so if I had to guess, it's for soundstages and production offices.

I suppose that could mean that eventually, other soundstages could be cleared out for eventual theme park growth, but even if that were the case, we'd be well over a decade away.

Reactions: zto8411 and Clive
Admittedly, I can't help but look at the LA2028 Olympics, and the 7 year gap that Comcast has now (As if I recall correctly, they were set to be a media hub for international news outlets covering the Summer event).

I can see a scenario to where with the increased time, Comcast/NBCU are wanting to maximize the back end of the lot, to upgrade everything they can to make things efficiant and seamless for everyone involved. From NBC, LA, IOC, and all the international groups going to be spending time there.

May also help give the chance to allow for the left side of the lot, the current "Front Lot" to then be earmarked for future expansion of Universal Studios Hollywood. Also gives Comcast the ability to ensure that nothing can go wrong during that time.

Reactions: Nico
This was the area that used to host the facade for Superstore and parking lot, right? Aren’t they building new soundstages there to eventually expand the lower lot?

Soundstages will be where the new land is being cleared. Existing soundstages will be demo’d to facilitate theme park expansion (Diagon Alley being on the list).

Reactions: JawsVictim
Soundstages will be where the new land is being cleared. Existing soundstages will be demo’d to facilitate theme park expansion (Diagon Alley being on the list).

I really hope they don’t waste the expansions on Diagon Alley. USH needs its own unique attractions rather than copies from other parks (although I would take Hagrid’s).

This was the area that used to host the facade for Superstore and parking lot, right? Aren’t they building new soundstages there to eventually expand the lower lot?

I mentioned this on the Evolution Plan thread, but the new soundstages that was announced previously, is supposed to be at Red Sea's location.

1625324521016.png

So unless if the remaining Red Sea stages are going to be built next to Barham Gate, this is a new project that we have don't have proper context.

Determining on things, atleast we have a good overview of what's next for the studio in the next 5 years or so:

• Remaining Red Sea stages to be built
  • Creative Campus next to Building 1440
  • Studio Transportation Center taking over Falls Lake (and probably the blue screen)
  • Mystery Barham Project
A lot of progress, and a lot of prep. It makes me curious for what's enstore on the eastern front of the lot going forward.

Reactions: natespf
I really hope they don’t waste the expansions on Diagon Alley. USH needs its own unique attractions rather than copies from other parks (although I would take Hagrid’s).
I understand why you say that. I partly agree only because I always like experiencing new stuff as much as possible. However, I mostly believe the parks should be as similar as possible while adding little changes like layout to give each locale their own feel (which they do already have). There’s stuff in Hollywood that
Should already be in Orlando, and there’s stuff in Orlando that should be in Hollywood.

I understand why you say that. I partly agree only because I always like experiencing new stuff as much as possible. However, I mostly believe the parks should be as similar as possible while adding little changes like layout to give each locale their own feel (which they do already have). There’s stuff in Hollywood that
Should already be in Orlando, and there’s stuff in Orlando that should be in Hollywood.
I do think that what makes Diagon work is the unique proximity between USF and IOA which simply doesn’t exist at USH. The monetary incentive to upgrade to a 2 park pass isn’t there.

I really enjoy USH having unique attractions like JW, WW, SloP, Panda, Studio Tour…it’s enjoyably familiar and different compared to UO.

Last edited: