Why Did Alien Encounter Close? | Page 2 | Inside Universal Forums

Why Did Alien Encounter Close?

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I'm sad right now. I have no memory of Alien Encounter at all. I was but a small child when it closed and little did I know that something more...ExtraTERRORestrial was in the spot of Stitch. YouTube videos will do no justice and anecdotes make me envy.

I remember my very first visit to WDW. I was four years old and I saw a video that showed the promo footage for that attraction. I was so terrified of being brought in there I begged and pleaded my parents to not take me in there and they didn't.

That was my only chance to see it. I was too young to enjoy it but I kind of wish my parents were jerks and forced me in there now. I think it would've been worth the trauma in heinsight to have the bragging rights of being able to see it. Alas I never did and never will.

As much as I would have loved a chance to have seen it, let's be brutally honest here. I don't think the ride would hold up now if it was still around. It would have looked VERY dated and the re-readability value was very low. Even if it was located in another park besides the MK, I still think those issues would have demised the attraction by now.

Sure, you could update it. You could add random occurrences to freshen it up every time you experience it, but there's only so much you can do for a show where you sit down in a circular theater.

Last edited:
Just stumbled on this thread, since I rarely go to the WDW area on the forums.

I also dearly miss it. Seeing it in 1997 was amazing. Skippy teleporting in the preshow. The whole attraction was really masterful storytelling.

I remember they did tone it down by 2000 though, the "Maintenance worker" that was a flashlight on a pole was no longer moving and when he gets killed, no blood dripped down. Either that or it stopped working and never repaired it.

Hell I miss Timekeeper too.

Reactions: awhen
i still hope a smiliar system would be utilized in other parks apart from Disney, like I've mentioned this but a Raptor Encounter at Universal would be amazing

But yeah, i kinda wish the Nostromo ride went into orbit. I believe the set would look amazing, and I'm an alien fan myself so I'd love seeing little homages to the film throughout.