Wonder Woman 1984 (DCEU) | Page 3 | Inside Universal Forums

Wonder Woman 1984 (DCEU)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
So this is going for free on HBO Max, and the rumors are Black Widow being a PVOD like Mulan. Strange that WB isn't trying the same strategy.
There’s no actual rumor on if Black Widow would be Premier Access or free to Disney+. Just that Disney is seriously looking at moving it.

AT&T has to pay down their debt, already selling tons of assets, and Warner hasn't put out a film that was a real money maker after SCOOB underperformed back in May. This move is way more to get HBO Max subs which means a steady revenue if they stay subbed.

Reactions: ThemeParks4Life
This move is way more to get HBO Max subs which means a steady revenue if they stay subbed.
Which is a tall order to ask considering the $15 price point. They would get a lot more people to sub and stay subbed if they were around $9-$10.

I'll be subscribing for this.

That said, I dropped the DC channel when they merged with HBO Max due to this price point (I really only watched Doom Patrol), so who knows how long I'll stay on.

AT&T has to pay down their debt, already selling tons of assets, and Warner hasn't put out a film that was a real money maker after SCOOB underperformed back in May. This move is way more to get HBO Max subs which means a steady revenue if they stay subbed.
Yep. WarnerMedia just laid off 20% of their workforce after 600+ jobs were already cut a couple months ago. If Wonder Woman moved to summer, more layoffs would've been likely (and tbf can still happen) without any new releases until March.

Worth noting that the variety article says, “The film will be available for a month on HBO Max in the U.S. included at no additional cost to subscribers.“

So it seems like the film will be pulled from HBO Max around January 25th and they’ll probably start selling the Blu-Ray and throw it on VOD.

That move seems aimed to get as many people signed up in a short period of time as possible since the movie will disappear from the service after a month.

Worth noting that the variety article says, “The film will be available for a month on HBO Max in the U.S. included at no additional cost to subscribers.“

So it seems like the film will be pulled from HBO Max around January 25th and they’ll probably start selling the Blu-Ray and throw it on VOD.

That move seems aimed to get as many people signed up in a short period of time as possible since the movie will disappear from the service after a month.
Per Deadline, it will be exclusive to theaters in its second month because the chains still wanted some type of window. After 60 days, it'll be for sale on digital.

Reactions: Nick
And the best part of this is people still have the choice to watch it in theaters. I wish it was an option for Mulan. Some of these movies deserve to be seen (safely of course) on a big screen.

Reactions: chris.g
So, with this coming to HBO Max for Christmas, I would think Max HAS to be coming to Roku by then, right? Otherwise, HBO Max is going to be missing out on a bunch of potential new subscribers.

So, with this coming to HBO Max for Christmas, I would think Max HAS to be coming to Roku by then, right? Otherwise, HBO Max is going to be missing out on a bunch of potential new subscribers.
Roku chairman hinted at it this week. Didnt outright deny it like previously.

Roku chairman hinted at it this week. Didnt outright deny it like previously.

Yeah--something tells me that they wouldn't of made this move if they couldn't get support from Roku and Amazon to have HBOMax on the services.

Guessing Roku will be announced early December.

Okay, in my eyes, here’s the test for streaming. Yes there’s no extra cost, but a proven billion dollar franchise is going straight to streaming. I’m interested, and scared, to see the numbers from this.

Yes Soul is a Pixar film going to streaming and that’s a test too, it’s not a proven entity like WW. Entirely different ball game imo.

I think HBO Max will be getting a ton of new subscribers with this. I did a 7 day free trial so I could watch Class Action Park, but between this and the new Looney Tunes cartoons they're running I may take it for a couple of months now.

Reactions: Tristan
So we’ll see how things go as the night progresses, but a few hours after Wonder Woman 1984 has debuted its not trending on Twitter in the US at all. Soul is currently trending at #7.

I really liked the first WW and I guess I should not be surprised I liked this one as well Patty Jakins could become one of my favorite directors.
The action is well done but the heart of the movie really fits this year. It's about what you want and how everyone cannot have what they want.

The Villains work so well, no more big alien dude or guy we don't care about who is just evil...the two villains here just are people. One wants everything mainly for himself but the good part of him is also doing it because like many Parents they want to give their kids a better life and someone to look up to. The other is a woman who feels ignored and while a good person is not getting the respect she should be getting and when she gets it can't imagine going back to her old life.

The only scene that makes me kinda like....err I guess thats "bad" but I don't care is when Barbra is confronted by the same old man twice and treats her like a piece of meat...the scene for sure if made to make us feel like she is wrong for beating him up...but I mean come on its not his first (or last) time harassing a woman if he learned his lesson after WW and then Barbra kicked his ass then she is a bag person but...I see it as more just some Jerky McJerkface finally getting whats coming to him. Just me

Overall 9/10 I think this works sooo much better than it should. Its about a magic stone that can grant wishes but to me feels grounded and in the end of the day felt while some could find it preachy, the overal message is good and especially for this year is a good one.

So we’ll see how things go as the night progresses, but a few hours after Wonder Woman 1984 has debuted its not trending on Twitter in the US at all. Soul is currently trending at #7.
I hope it does well but its harder. HBO is double the price of Disney and Disney just ended one of the biggest shows ever with WanderVision only weeks away. I got HBO to Support WW because I really did like the first film (my favorite DC comic film since Dark Knight) so I hope reviews are mainly what pushes people to watch it.

Also and I do not want to get in a fight over this...but Soul i think was dropped in the middle of the night so you could watch it after opening gifts in some places you just can't watch WW or it was not out until noon...just saying its all about conveniences. Make it as easy to see as you can...you wake up and its there.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nick
I really liked the first WW and I guess I should not be surprised I liked this one as well Patty Jakins could become one of my favorite directors.
The action is well done but the heart of the movie really fits this year. It's about what you want and how everyone cannot have what they want.

The Villains work so well, no more big alien dude or guy we don't care about who is just evil...the two villains here just are people. One wants everything mainly for himself but the good part of him is also doing it because like many Parents they want to give their kids a better life and someone to look up to. The other is a woman who feels ignored and while a good person is not getting the respect she should be getting and when she gets it can't imagine going back to her old life.

The only scene that makes me kinda like....err I guess thats "bad" but I don't care is when Barbra is confronted by the same old man twice and treats her like a piece of meat...the scene for sure if made to make us feel like she is wrong for beating him up...but I mean come on its not his first (or last) time harassing a woman if he learned his lesson after WW and then Barbra kicked his ass then she is a bag person but...I see it as more just some Jerky McJerkface finally getting whats coming to him. Just me

Overall 9/10 I think this works sooo much better than it should. Its about a magic stone that can grant wishes but to me feels grounded and in the end of the day felt while some could find it preachy, the overal message is good and especially for this year is a good one.

I hope it does well but its harder. HBO is double the price of Disney and Disney just ended one of the biggest shows ever with WanderVision only weeks away. I got HBO to Support WW because I really did like the first film (my favorite DC comic film since Dark Knight) so I hope reviews are mainly what pushes people to watch it.

Also and I do not want to get in a fight over this...but Soul i think was dropped in the middle of the night so you could watch it after opening gifts in some places you just can't watch WW or it was not out until noon...just saying its all about conveniences. Make it as easy to see as you can...you wake up and its there.
I agree with dropping it so people can just watch it immediately. I think HBO Max was going for the set time of Noon to try and cause a social media wave because if you have a set time, then that means a lot of people will be watching at once, and then talking/speculating afterwards. I think this is probably something that sounds good on paper but in reality his just dumb.

I wasn't a Wonder Woman fan and have had trouble getting into any of the DCEU films aside from Shazaam, so I won't be signing up for it, but maybe down the line when I get Max again I'll give it a chance.

I agree with dropping it so people can just watch it immediately. I think HBO Max was going for the set time of Noon to try and cause a social media wave because if you have a set time, then that means a lot of people will be watching at once, and then talking/speculating afterwards. I think this is probably something that sounds good on paper but in reality his just dumb.

I wasn't a Wonder Woman fan and have had trouble getting into any of the DCEU films aside from Shazaam, so I won't be signing up for it, but maybe down the line when I get Max again I'll give it a chance.
If you liked the first film then this one should be around the same with a better ending in my opinion this time because I assume they let the director have more control

Also while Im sure there are references this film is pretty outside the new DC films not really many nods at all to other films...not that its a bad thing

I was also a fan of this film as well? Thought it was pretty fun and the villains are great. Again Chris Pine and Gal Gadot have fantastic chemistry (She is even stronger here) and it's just a very fun film.

Felt more like a Superman film than a WW film and expect more of a romantic adventure film versus a normal superhero film.
- Some of the CGI is a little off
- Last 10 minutes look off. Like it was shot later on.
- Also the movie could trim a little bit off. Felt it went on for 10 minutes too long.
4/5