Is Pokémon replacing Spider-Man at USJ? | Inside Universal Forums
  • Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Is Pokémon replacing Spider-Man at USJ?

Chris Galindo

Veteran Member
Feb 22, 2015
LA
Very interesting read. Remember reading elsewhere that an idea of riders/ the theme using the Pokemon Snap system or storyline would be actually creative and a well thought replacement for the attraction.

Reactions: AnyNameYouWish

TheUniC6

Newcomer
Oct 10, 2021
When skimming through the Marvel Universal contract, I read that as long as Marvel is in a certain region with a Universal park, Marvel cannot be used in the Universal park. If and when they finally let SpiderMan go, It would not surprise me if Disney looks to put an Avengers Campus in Tokyo DisneyLand.

quinnmac000

Veteran Member
May 14, 2014
Seoul, Korea
When skimming through the Marvel Universal contract, I read that as long as Marvel is in a certain region with a Universal park, Marvel cannot be used in the Universal park. If and when they finally let SpiderMan go, It would not surprise me if Disney looks to put an Avengers Campus in Tokyo DisneyLand.
OLC was offered Marvel and they already said no...just like with Star Wars.

Reactions: JawsVictim

Nick

Staff member
Sep 22, 2011
Orlando
OLC was offered Marvel and they already said no...just like with Star Wars.
If a third park ever happens at USJ in the compact amount of land it would have to sit on (which i'm not convinced will ever happen), Star Wars and Marvel are enticing as big draws to a new park. However, they don't seem to want to compromise the integrity of their Disneyland or shove in IPs that don't fit thematically with TDS (which I applaud them for).

quinnmac000

Veteran Member
May 14, 2014
Seoul, Korea
If a third park ever happens at USJ in the compact amount of land it would have to sit on (which i'm not convinced will ever happen), Star Wars and Marvel are enticing as big draws to a new park. However, they don't seem to want to compromise the integrity of their Disneyland or shove in IPs that don't fit thematically with TDS (which I applaud them for).
TDR's competition is USJ....the issue is those two IPs wouldn't be able to counter USJ's anime IP dominance. While Marvel and Star Wars are popular in Japan, the anime and domestic IPs are much stronger with local audiences (Even with the pandemic, USJ hit capacity when they had the demon slayer event)...

Also even when it comes to Marvel, the most popular hero in Japan is Spider-Man. So taking USJ's spiderman and adding DCA's spiderman ride might not do well.

OLC would be better off creating an attraction based on Lilo and Stitch than Marvel/Star Wars at this time (Stitch was so popular, he had his own tv show and manga that wasn't released in the US )

Reactions: Coolbfitz

Nick

Staff member
Sep 22, 2011
Orlando
Also even when it comes to Marvel, the most popular hero in Japan is Spider-Man.
This is precisely because Marvel put the effort into making the character appeal to Japanese audiences back in the 70's and 80's. The Disney+ documenatary series Marvel's 616 does a great job of covering this topic. Here's a short clip:

DudleyRaa

Newcomer
Sep 7, 2018
OLC would be better off creating an attraction based on Lilo and Stitch than Marvel/Star Wars at this time (Stitch was so popular, he had his own tv show and manga that wasn't released in the US )
That's exactly why I don't understand why they still don't have a good Lilo & Stitch attraction (Stitch encounter is not). There they love the character, I always ask him why they don't dedicate a dark ride, a coaster...