Local Haunts Reviews & Recommendations | Inside Universal Forums
  • Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Local Haunts Reviews & Recommendations

JawsVictim

Veteran Member
Nov 3, 2015
Could anyone share vids of some of the cool looking local haunts?
If you’re in SoCal, Westcoaster.net has a ton of local haunt reviews and a really handy guide. Here’s the link to the latter: Southern California 2021 Haunted Attractions Guide — Westcoaster.

I used their guide last year to see a ton of home haunt displays. Definitely recommend Rotten Apples in Burbank, Beware the Dark Realm in Santa Clarita, and Pirates Cove in OC.

I know these aren’t videos, but if you’re in SoCal, these are worth seeing in person.

Stryker

Feb 22, 2018
So Cal
Could anyone share vids of some of the cool looking local haunts?
This is not necessarily a haunt. More of a family-friendly Halloween light show. I haven't seen it in person yet, but I hear about it every year on local news stations.

If you’re in SoCal, Westcoaster.net has a ton of local haunt reviews and a really handy guide. Here’s the link to the latter: Southern California 2021 Haunted Attractions Guide — Westcoaster.

I used their guide last year to see a ton of home haunt displays. Definitely recommend Rotten Apples in Burbank, Beware the Dark Realm in Santa Clarita, and Pirates Cove in OC.

I know these aren’t videos, but if you’re in SoCal, these are worth seeing in person.
I second Pirates Cove in Orange, CA. I went last year along with Macdevitt Manor Haunted House in West Covina and a few others not listed on the site you mentioned. Pirates Cove is an excellent show with several live actors. The scare actors interact with guests in line waiting for the show to begin. They'll attempt to scare older crowds, but will gently interact with younger kids. Can't wait to visit them again later this month.

MikePat

Rookie
Sep 6, 2021
Just visited another great local haunt. Haunted Overload in NH is really impressive set wise. It's all DIY to it's max. Great sound and lighting too. The event was more tame compared to last year (and that was during the pandemic), however, the actors on the bikes were scary.

Their is no 2021 trailer, but this 2019 trailer I think does the place justice...

Reactions: PenguinCowboy

Rideguy70

V.I.P.
Feb 17, 2016
Los Angeles
There's just so many options in SoCal, it makes your head spin. We have literally been doing a different haunt event every weekend for 6 weeks.

In addition to the usual major haunts (HHN, KSF, Fright Fest, and now Howl-o-Scream at Sea World SD--going this weekend to the latter), I do love the immersive experiences. In my plans are Delusion (mind blowing haunted house play with top level effects), Creep (immersive theater with incredible actors, more about the psychological unease than jump scares--and you will be touched and sometimes separated from your group), and It's Alive (an interactive play about Mary Shelly writing Frankenstien, set a real life mausoleum). I also usually see Zombie Joe Underground, but there just isn't enough time this year... but it's an unforgettable experience if you haven't seen them before (and be prepared for total nudity of both sexes during the show).

Also did the Ventura Fear Grounds which was okay... no real set design, but it was their first year, and it was nearly all outdoors, making it very safe from a COVID point of view. They only had three mazes, a Ghost Train (kinda dull aside from one key scene), the Cage (maze of chain link fences with monster), and the Terror Trail, which, while light on scares, was a mind blowing 20 minute walk.

The SoCalHauntList is also a great place to find events in SoCal, as well as the already aforementioned Westcoaster.

Reactions: JawsVictim

Freak

Veteran Member
Jan 10, 2013
No man's land: SoCal
Well, I had no idea this thread existed until just now.
I'm helping with a local haunt this year as well. I was there last year and I will link the walk through from last years maze:

The haunt is in Baldwin park and this years theme is going to be called "Fear Extractor"

The ad for this year is attatched below as well!
I got excited for a second thinking this was Baldwin Park CALIFORNIA ....but alas there's apparently there's a Baldwin Park in Florida as well. Oh well.

There's just so many options in SoCal, it makes your head spin. We have literally been doing a different haunt event every weekend for 6 weeks.

In addition to the usual major haunts (HHN, KSF, Fright Fest, and now Howl-o-Scream at Sea World SD--going this weekend to the latter), I do love the immersive experiences. In my plans are Delusion (mind blowing haunted house play with top level effects), Creep (immersive theater with incredible actors, more about the psychological unease than jump scares--and you will be touched and sometimes separated from your group), and It's Alive (an interactive play about Mary Shelly writing Frankenstien, set a real life mausoleum). I also usually see Zombie Joe Underground, but there just isn't enough time this year... but it's an unforgettable experience if you haven't seen them before (and be prepared for total nudity of both sexes during the show).

Also did the Ventura Fear Grounds which was okay... no real set design, but it was their first year, and it was nearly all outdoors, making it very safe from a COVID point of view. They only had three mazes, a Ghost Train (kinda dull aside from one key scene), the Cage (maze of chain link fences with monster), and the Terror Trail, which, while light on scares, was a mind blowing 20 minute walk.

The SoCalHauntList is also a great place to find events in SoCal, as well as the already aforementioned Westcoaster.
I was thinking of checking out Ventura, but I guess I won't go if that's all it was. Probably not worth the hour and a half drive for me then. I am planning on doing Corona Haunt and Coffin Creek as well later in October. I did Coffin Creek several years ago and I liked it. It's a more low-key haunt but they have a really cool trail and hayride as well as three interesting mazes.

The SCV also has two really dope home haunts! Beware the Dark Realm and Club Fear. Club Fear is awesome because they cram the whole haunt into their garage and they make excellent use of the space!

Check out Dark Harvest as well! That's a really good corn maze haunt!

pumpkinbot343

Rookie
Aug 12, 2021
Anybody in Florida ever checked out these places:
  • No Way Out Miami Haunted City (Hialeah)
  • House of Horror Haunted Carnival (Miami International Mall)
  • Paranoia (Miami)
  • Cortez Manor
  • Tormented Trails (Davie)
Some of these are quite pricey so I want to k ow if any are worth the wait.

JawsVictim

Veteran Member
Nov 3, 2015

Thanks for this list of recommendations!! Delusion is now on my radar. Glad their production goes into November so there’s more time to check it out!

Highly recommend LA Haunted Hayride this year. It was my first time going and found the experience to be delightful! The Hayride ranges from pretty cool to okay to sometimes laughably bad, but two of the three mazes, Trick or Treat and Dead End Diner are great! Lots of amazing scares by their energetic casts and I legit got lost in both of them as parts are actual mazes. Also, the Monte Revolta show was such a surprise! Truly a highlight of any haunt I’ve been to this year. This guy’s like the Halloween version of Weird Al, turning songs like Hall & Oates Maneater into Re-animator, complete with on stage theatrics. Loved the show and all the scareactors roaming the crowd creeping people out.

amar831

Premium Member
Oct 18, 2017
Miami, FL
Anybody in Florida ever checked out these places:
  • No Way Out Miami Haunted City (Hialeah)
  • House of Horror Haunted Carnival (Miami International Mall)
  • Paranoia (Miami)
  • Cortez Manor
  • Tormented Trails (Davie)
Some of these are quite pricey so I want to k ow if any are worth the wait.
I went to House of Horror last Friday and it was pretty fun. Just basic carnival rides and three houses that all share the same space (which I’m pretty sure is an emptied out JC Penney).
I got there with my family right at opening and were able to get into the houses as soon as those opened up at 7pm, basically walk ins but heavy pulsing in the houses. The actors are putting a lot of energy and having a good time, but most rooms are wide open spaces and I would say only about 8-10 actors per house. They do get up close and personal though which was pretty cool to experience. As far as on the street there were maybe about 3 actors walking around.
They had a long strip of some carnival food and local food trucks as well.
It’s not really anything out of this world but it was only 35 per ticket and no extra fees for any carnival rides or houses. We didn’t stay past 10 pm because it got super crowded and lines for everything we’re getting crazy long, but it was practically empty right at opening

Oh and they just have the spinning tunnel randomly inside a warehouse type prop area that you can walk in through, just in and out lol.
2C47006F-0FC5-481F-9DC6-288EEA4107F2.jpegF6B27C43-7ED8-4F87-98E7-95CA88C174AC.jpeg198D82A9-BBD7-4E78-84D8-F14B5B224CAA.jpeg25754634-E650-4A93-A335-573D295A3574.jpeg

Aug 20, 2019
For anyone in SoCal who likes the extreme end of the haunt spectrum. Definitely check out the 17th Door in Fullerton! I've been going for years and they always have the highest quality theming and some of the coolest effects in the industry. I think this is their last year with their current theme. If you're apprehensive I'd go online and check out the liability waiver.