Super Nintendo World (Epic Universe) | Page 11 | Inside Universal Forums

Super Nintendo World (Epic Universe)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
So, I've heard something that is simply too silly and strange not to share, but apparently Mine Kart Madness keeps catching on fire. No reasoning given, at least not to me. But there is a guy on deck in charge of watching and telling someone if the coaster starts to spontaneously combust again. :eyes: :eyes:

So.....hopefully they figure that out! :lmao:
I would suggest that it could have something to do with vehicle charging stations, as these things will have sound/haptics to create the sensation of landing back on the track after jumping the gaps, so will likely need to charge. Anyway, if something’s gonna catch fire, either the trains are literally burning rubber, which with how slow they go I’m not sure it could be that, or there’s a charging issue.

At Epic or at USJ? :innocent:
I’d guess Japan, as that would explain the delay!

Only now noticed real trees inside SNW. I had to look back at Japan's to realize there were some there too. I didn't think there was any real plant life within the land.

I still can't tell if the screaming pillars will actually scream (open and close their mouth) but it does look like their eyes will light up at least.

Wow, they've made a lot of progress with DKC. Looks amazing.

No fake track on the turn out of the building is going to be a thrilling drop! They put a ton of rock work around the outside portion and put a lot of effort in to maintain the illusion from both on and off the ride and I'm so happy to see that.

So, I've heard something that is simply too silly and strange not to share, but apparently Mine Kart Madness keeps catching on fire. No reasoning given, at least not to me. But there is a guy on deck in charge of watching and telling someone if the coaster starts to spontaneously combust again. :eyes: :eyes:

So.....hopefully they figure that out! :lmao:
Maybe the reason Orlando got the real waterfall is to cool off the trains as they go by. :lol: Guess this coaster will be the hottest thing in town.

OMG-- The envelope test vehicle is my new favorite thing! It looks like a cartoon...

I see a cartoon dog sitting up. Also looks like a tight squeeze on the left side.

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but do these cars have onboard battery packs? And if so, battery packs that aren't removed/charged separate from the vehicle? Fascinating if so.
My understanding of how these usually work is the battery is charged wirelessly as it's passing through the station (see pic below).

I would suggest that it could have something to do with vehicle charging stations, as these things will have sound/haptics to create the sensation of landing back on the track after jumping the gaps, so will likely need to charge. Anyway, if something’s gonna catch fire, either the trains are literally burning rubber, which with how slow they go I’m not sure it could be that, or there’s a charging issue.
If it's a charging issue I know wireless charging can create a lot of heat. Depending on how much power is going into the batteries it could be more than the materials insulating it were meant to handle?

If it's the ride vehicles, could it be heat generated during the launch or braking quickly? VC had issues with its wheels and heating issues too didn't it, or am I confusing details? I wondered how the weight distribution worked for this ride. It sounds like the trains might be top heavy as well as being awkwardly designed which makes for some interesting issues to solve.

dkbrakes.png

On the track itself: I think the black portion is for magnetic brakes and the white fins above that is for charging. It also looks like there's 4 magnetic brakes and the last two look different on the right, not sure what those are? Maybe friction brakes for redundancy? All I know is there's a lot of stuff going on there going there.

You would think besides audio and probably lights on the ride vehicle at night, the vehicle (on board) doesn't need a ton of energy to operate. It should work the same as every other coaster at Universal so I don't think that will be the problem.
Maybe it's the wheels. Normally the pressure of the vehicle on the track is divided between 4 point distributed evenly on the track. Here the main pressure will be on the top side of the rails and although it are still 4 wheels (on top) it's not evenly distributed under the vehicle.
I can see that could be a problem.
1715544675067.png

You would think besides audio and probably lights on the ride vehicle at night, the vehicle (on board) doesn't need a ton of energy to operate. It should work the same as every other coaster at Universal so I don't think that will be the problem.
Maybe it's the wheels. Normally the pressure of the vehicle on the track is divided between 4 point distributed evenly on the track. Here the main pressure will be on the top side of the rails and although it are still 4 wheels (on top) it's not evenly distributed under the vehicle.
View attachment 21833
Not really much different from a steeplechase coaster though which has existed for over a century. There is definitely more weight on the top than a steeplechase but I'm pretty positive they would make sure it wouldn't be a problem.

View attachment 21833
If it has haptics to simulate the clank of landing that would require additional power as well. Or at very least, some serious subwoofers to vibrate the seats.

View attachment 21833
I wish I could see these things move up close but they'll be hidden very well. I enjoy peaking around the sides of FJ to look at the ride vehicles there because it's hard to believe they're as big as they are (and it's cool to see them in action).

Either way the extra wheels and steel needed to support all that only adds more weight which has to be moved and stopped. Must've been fun calculating material strengths and designs to make it happen.

The summer heat won't help but the track is somewhat protected by the fake track.

Not really much different from a steeplechase coaster though which has existed for over a century. There is definitely more weight on the top than a steeplechase but I'm pretty positive they would make sure it wouldn't be a problem.
It's the sideways support design that makes things different. A steeplechase coaster is very sturdy because of the supporting column goes straight down onto the train and track.

Steeplechase-Pleasure_Beach_Blackpool.jpg

With DK the supporting arm is essentially hanging off the side. When that train comes to a halt the top of the car is still going to be moving forward every so slightly more before it stops too because physics. To put it another way, I've been wondering if we'll feel the car wobble slightly for half a second or two when it stops or at other parts of the ride.

On a related note, what experience is needed to become a fire spotter for DK? lol