The Mandalorian & Grogu (Film) | Inside Universal Forums

The Mandalorian & Grogu (Film)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Production starts later this year according to what I read in Variety. I wonder if this is replacing a Season 4?

I mean their theatrical slate, what happened to the other movies, etc? Is this just going to be the fourth season turned into a movie?
This is just a new movie. Disney currently has three or four dates set aside for Star Wars films.

Production starts later this year according to what I read in Variety. I wonder if this is replacing a Season 4?
If they're just using the story and sets from Season 4 for this film, it kind of reads like a desperate move to prop up the theatrical slate after promising a new movie for May 2026, but having nothing ready to go for May 2026.

And idk man, now there's going to be two Mando-verse movies that require previous engagement with all the Disney+ shows? Not really an exciting proposition if you've stopped watching these shows in the past year.

If they're just using the story and sets from Season 4 for this film, it kind of reads like a desperate move to prop up the theatrical slate after promising a new movie for May 2026, but having nothing ready to go for May 2026.

And idk man, now there's going to be two Mando-verse movies that require previous engagement with all the Disney+ shows? Not really an exciting proposition if you've stopped watching these shows in the past year.
Assuming this movie gets made (and why wouldn’t it, it has their cash cow in Grogu in it), one theatrical film could be enough to catch audiences up to speed and make sure they know who these characters are before the Filoni film.

I’d bet money though that the Filoni film doesn’t get made if this film underperforms.

Assuming this movie gets made (and why wouldn’t it, it has their cash cow in Grigio in it), one theatrical film could be enough to catch audiences up to speed and make sure they know who these characters are before the Filoni film.
Got it, so this is the homework film before the real film then. Thank you for clarifying.

EDIT: Sorry to be so flippant, but I don't want to be "caught up". I want to be "caught away watching something else that's better".

Got it, so this is the homework film before the real film then. Thank you for clarifying.
I mean by the way you are wording that, aren’t all MCU films just a “homework” film until an Avengers film?

No, this is being made to make money. No other reason. Literally none.

I hope we get more Mando TV

Last season wasn't the best.....but I would like to see Dinn in a series still but hopefully this film dos well enough to make them want more shows as well

Also I don't care if the Sequels made money, Mando is by far the highest grossing thing Disney has made with Star Wars. Merch sales are huge, three seasons of the show and even the bad season got the highest TV watch rate and now a film. This has become even bigger then the team who made these characters ever thought it would

I mean by the way you are wording that, aren’t all MCU films just a “homework” film until an Avengers film?

No, this is being made to make money. No other reason. Literally none.
Yes.

Also, glad they want to make money, not sold on their plan of making Mandoverse 8 our grand return to theatrical Star Wars.

Reactions: GA-MBIT and Jake S
Honestly a bit disappointed that the Rey film won't be our big return to theatrical Star Wars stuff but whatever I guess... Hopefully that film still gets made

Honestly a bit disappointed that the Rey film won't be our big return to theatrical Star Wars stuff but whatever I guess... Hopefully that film still gets made
Not trying to get political or say fans are the people behind Rey's film comments out of context

But that film has sooooooooo much to go against....the bad writing of the sequels that hurt all the main cast characters, Disney shows doing fine but no where near the views for these shows/movies cost, it's a spin off and not another episode and now you do have the people behind the films having some quotes that aren't going to make many hardcore fans happy

I feel like all directors/writers need a gag order on certain things and just stop saying stuff until the film is out and is a hit. Thats it, not saying we should censor people but just no reason if your behind SW should you be saying things you know will upset some fans, this is a business make your film and if its good then push your agenda or Message

I want the Rey film to be great but.....my hopes aren't that high

(I want to point out Clone wars had a rocky start because of the films it was based on, so fans can be overcome but I'm just saying anything differently connected to the sequels has a large amount of fans that will hate it no matter what and so I hope they are putting everything they have into the Rey film)

Would take a terrible Taika movie over a Mando movie as well (at least it would be something new!).
No thanks, I want people who want to make Star Wars stuff.....if you want to do something new you also need to be a director where they had a hit in the past 5 years...but that director hasn't made anything that makes me think they have good idea's for any film, let alone a Star Wars film.
Andor is an adult take on SW but is still SW, it isn't trying to be different just because same with Rogue one

Would take a terrible Taika movie over a Mando movie as well (at least it would be something new!).
barf GIF

I'd also be curious if this presages other Disney+ projects becoming budget blockbusters for quicker returns than their 250 mil mega blockbusters.

Yes.

Also, glad they want to make money, not sold on their plan of making Mandoverse 8 our grand return to theatrical Star Wars.
Oh I’m not sold either and if I was to project right now in the current market place, I don’t see this movie topping $450-$500M Worldwide. I’m not even that interested in this and I watched the show.

It’s crazy that of all projects, I think the James Mangold High Republic film sounds the most interesting.

Oh I’m not sold either and if I was to project right now in the current market place, I don’t see this movie topping $450-$500M Worldwide.
But if the budget was that of only 3-4 Mandalorian episodes, you're looking at guaranteed profit even at $150 mil, which is better than negative money.