Universal Great Britain | Page 57 | Inside Universal Forums

Universal Great Britain

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Quite a few of us locals been around the site today. It's windy, but the temps are starting to get warmer. Lots of red, blue and yellow flags all over the theme park plot on the south parcel. I'll be going to one of the public consultations in a week or so.

Edit - Accessed via the public footpath that currently goes straight through the south parcel.

Last edited:
Hi, new member here, but been following the developments since the news broke in December time, and whilst it's a discussion thread on another forum I visit, was keen to find somewhere a bit more active on the topic ... and digger-spotting and concrete barriers are exactly the level of excitement I needed this morning :)

Although I currently live in another continent, I've reasonably local to the area, and know the area well (I used to get the train home after a night shift at the nearby Amazon distribution centre, which took you through the middle of what was then still an operational brickworks site!)

On local sentiment...
I still have a lot of family in and near the area, and general sentiment is very positive. The vast majority of those I've spoken to, and general local discourse I see/read, is perhaps a little 'star struck' maybe, but certainly in favour. The biggest 'concern' is local infrastructure. Whether that's a valid concern or not I guess is somewhat irrelevant, as it's a perceived concern. But it's clear this site was chosen largely because of its good local infrastructure, and the road and rail changes proposed are sensible and likely to alleviate most people's concerns.

On attendance/operations...
I skimmed through most of the previous discussion points since December (some fun threads there!). And I know there was a lot of discussion about possible attendance levels, especially vs other UK parls.
One point I don't recall being raised was the impact of the operating season itself. I don't imagine anything has been formally stated, but would it be right to presume they'd want to operate the resort all year round (which I believe is the case for other Universal parks)? This would be the only park I know of in the UK where that would be the case, offering a boost in attendance opportunity (ok, not going to suddenly double it of course ... but it's also hard to predict the level of demand that time of year).

On what could go wrong / derail...
I think it's fair to say the UK doesn't have the speediest track record of delivering large-scale infrastructure projects without it taking many years to get things going.
* HS2 ... being built but huge public backlash from those along the route
* Hinkley Point C ... being built but at eyewatering cost, and years behind (35bn GBP at 2015 prices!)
* Heathrow 3rd Runway ... all but cancelled I believe

But this is fairly different... I think those other projects are sat more in the camp of 'we collectively 'need', rather than 'want' them, but some people will suffer because of it'. A Univeral park has a far, far smaller 'adverse' impact footprint ... and crucially is something people will actively want to be fairly near to and want to visit (as opposed to a 'necessary' piece of infrastructure).

So I don't think the public needs much convincing this is the right thing to push through. And reading through the consultation documents made available so far ... they look like good plans, and they generally seem intent on being a good neighbour & 'citizen'.

If I had to guess one area to watch out for though, it would be around government subsidies/tax breaks. I think we're all expecting it, but if it gets to the point where what is being offered as a sweetheart deal is perceived as too much/imbalanced etc, that is what I think could sway public opinion

Whilst it seems the Plot of land is 130 Acres, I would say don’t expect the whole Park to be that big.

Remember that, in the site plan, this plot is also described as being for Theme Park/Theme Park Services, so Back of House Areas will also be in this plot as well.

Not sure how much space they’d take up, but I’m just saying, the whole Park probably won’t be quite that big.

Still very much seems to be a big, juicy park though

Whilst it seems the Plot of land is 130 Acres, I would say don’t expect the whole Park to be that big.

Remember that, in the site plan, this plot is also described as being for Theme Park/Theme Park Services, so Back of House Areas will also be in this plot as well.

Not sure how much space they’d take up, but I’m just saying, the whole Park probably won’t be quite that big.

Still very much seems to be a big, juicy park though
Difficult to say really what acreage the park will be. In comparison the Universal Orlando resort says it is roughly 541 acres in size (according to google) and the total area here is 476 acres give or take. So that’s a 65 acre difference.

I’d expect something similar in size to the Orlando parks but I guess it depends how big they want to go with the park. And what space they would reserve for a city walk type area and back of house, staff support areas etc.

More activity on site today when I drove past (Tuesday 9th May in the morning). "No trespassing" signs are on the fencing and a lorry is way back into the site delivering more concrete barriers. A van is parked in the entrance gates (which are open) and two people are doing something in the old building just inside the gate. The van had the logo on for the ANTS group ANTS Group – 50 Years Of Proven Experience which is a group that seem to do many things, but would seem to fit right in with dealing with an old brickworks and quarry.
1712658628187.png1712659008142.jpeg1712658405360.jpeg

Last edited:
When are we expecting to see the full planning documents if they give the go ahead? I assume the go/no go will be give around autumn time. Will planning documents follow shortly afterwards do we think if they decide to proceed?

I assume all of that is still being worked on but barring anything major I’d say they’re arguably quite far along with it judging by the speed of this over the last 6 months.

The consultation period started essentially as soon as the consultation was announced and is near minimum duration - I think min is 21 days? Implies a go-fast to me. I'm not sure how long between end of consultation and formal submission is normal, but I assume there must be a reasonable period to allow for analysis and report write up.

Reactions: Altonsky
As there is an intention of having this designated as a National Infrastructure Project, a little browse has revealed this page showing the process and timelines.

It would look as if this is currently in the pre-application consultation phase.
This is where the applicant starts to create their application. The applicant is required to consult with people and organisations in the area. They must also create detailed documents about the impact the project could have on the environment.

It is important to get involved at this stage to influence the application before the applicant sends it to the Planning Inspectorate.

If you follow through the process it can take up to a year from application to permission being granted as there have to be some public hearings by the inspectors.

It does make me wonder if the process can be speeded up if required. this is not complicated, it is not a power station or something more impactive. I have no idea if that may make it all quicker.

As there is an intention of having this designated as a National Infrastructure Project, a little browse has revealed this page showing the process and timelines.

It would look as if this is currently in the pre-application consultation phase.
This is where the applicant starts to create their application. The applicant is required to consult with people and organisations in the area. They must also create detailed documents about the impact the project could have on the environment.

It is important to get involved at this stage to influence the application before the applicant sends it to the Planning Inspectorate.

If you follow through the process it can take up to a year from application to permission being granted as there have to be some public hearings by the inspectors.

It does make me wonder if the process can be speeded up if required. this is not complicated, it is not a power station or something more impactive. I have no idea if that may make it all quicker.
Depends how much the tories want to push it through so they have something to claim.

Otherwise it’ll be labour dealing with it and something they can claim.

I’d assume the tories will want it to be submitted before they’re annihilated anyway.

Party politics might help it a little bit.

Reactions: Lost Meerkat
Bedford is a marginal (currently lab) and mid bedfordshire usually con but currently lab (Nadine Dorries reaction). Conservatives will hope to regain mid beds and might hope that a big announcement emphasizing central governments involvement driving universal studios might get them Bedford. Therefore, it could potentially be worth 2 seats to them if polls tighten

Bedford is a marginal (currently lab) and mid bedfordshire usually con but currently lab (Nadine Dorries reaction). Conservatives will hope to regain mid beds and might hope that a big announcement emphasizing central governments involvement driving universal studios might get them Bedford. Therefore, it could potentially be worth 2 seats to them if polls tighten
You’d think so!

Tbh I think they’ve probably mostly made up their mind and this is most likely going to happen or at least get the green light from Universals side.

Unless they find any endangered species living on the land, knowing this country that’s entirely possible.

If it doesn’t happen there’s no hope for this country and large infrastructure projects in general, but the economy here in the UK and Europe as a whole aren’t doing great so you’d assume any government would be bending over backwards to get it past the finish line.

Reactions: bedfordmassive
Agreed - the labour MP for Bedford even thanked Jeremy Hunt for his support which is very unusual, so this seems to have bipartisan support. I can only see it not happening if there's an act of god (massive roman villa under the south site or dodo colony) or Universal pull out.

For politicians, I think the question is how quickly it can be pushed through, not whether or not it happens!

Agreed - the labour MP for Bedford even thanked Jeremy Hunt for his support which is very unusual, so this seems to have bipartisan support. I can only see it not happening if there's an act of god (massive roman villa under the south site or dodo colony) or Universal pull out.

For politicians, I think the question is how quickly it can be pushed through, not whether or not it happens!

I totally agree with this! I’ve never seen anything quite like it.

Trying to be realistic this is likely deep dig work for surveying the ground conditions etc

Although the other side of me is a giddy little child.

Also this has been a great account for coverage, worth a follow if you haven’t already.