2023 Mardi Gras | Page 2 | Inside Universal Forums

2023 Mardi Gras

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Universal Studios Florida is getting ready to let the good times roll as setup is underway for this year's Mardi Gras 2023 event.

Does anyone know if I can arrange one of those tribute store bottles without physically going to the Five & Dime? I'm trying to come up with a gift idea for a friend.

I was thinking about this lineup as I was remembering some crazy times i've been to concerts at USF such as Fall Out Boy, Kelly Clarkson, Pitbull (multiple times), Macklemore, Dan + Shay, Fifth Harmony, to as recent as artists like Marshmello and Khalid just last year. It really makes this year's lineup that much more meh and seems like they are going to Eat to the Beat route with this going forward. What's the main thing that makes me say that?

We seem to have forgotten that Maroon 5 did a three night event (August 25-27) where they performed on August 26th, sold packages to a bunch of their fans to come down to FL, and had the parks rented out on other nights that included Meet & Greets with the band and other events.

What's my point here? I obviously don't know for sure, but it sure seems like the Maroon 5 event must have been a success and they now plan to hold big ticket acts behind a paywall for huge fans. Why have Maroon 5 or any high profile act perform during the Mardi Gras concert series? It's a concert series that offers nothing really special in terms of concert experience, ruins the night for vacationers not looking to watch a concert, and really only draws in APs and some locals to buy a day pass.

By doing the paid after hours event, Mardi Gras concert crowds are smaller and non-intrusive to the average guest, the band/artist gets an easy pay day plus a vacation, and Universal gets people who would've never come to the resort before to come because of the unprecedented access to the band that's normally only seen when bands do fan cruises. I don't personally like it if this is the route they're going as it takes a big thing away from Mardi Gras, but at the same time, if this is their plan, I get it from a business perspective.

I was thinking about this lineup as I was remembering some crazy times i've been to concerts at USF such as Fall Out Boy, Kelly Clarkson, Pitbull (multiple times), Macklemore, Dan + Shay, Fifth Harmony, to as recent as artists like Marshmello and Khalid just last year. It really makes this year's lineup that much more meh and seems like they are going to Eat to the Beat route with this going forward. What's the main thing that makes me say that?

We seem to have forgotten that Maroon 5 did a three night event (August 25-27) where they performed on August 26th, sold packages to a bunch of their fans to come down to FL, and had the parks rented out on other nights that included Meet & Greets with the band and other events.

What's my point here? I obviously don't know for sure, but it sure seems like the Maroon 5 event must have been a success and they now plan to hold big ticket acts behind a paywall for huge fans. Why have Maroon 5 or any high profile act perform during the Mardi Gras concert series? It's a concert series that offers nothing really special in terms of concert experience, ruins the night for vacationers not looking to watch a concert, and really only draws in APs and some locals to buy a day pass.

By doing the paid after hours event, Mardi Gras concert crowds are smaller and non-intrusive to the average guest, the band/artist gets an easy pay day plus a vacation, and Universal gets people who would've never come to the resort before to come because of the unprecedented access to the band that's normally only seen when bands do fan cruises. I don't personally like it if this is the route they're going as it takes a big thing away from Mardi Gras, but at the same time, if this is their plan, I get it from a business perspective.
I think you're on too somethimng....and....seems like since Irwin took over, Universal is becoming more WDW like in their park operation decisions and hotel pricing, so there may be more to follow.

That wasn't a Universal event, though - that was a park buyout.

Mardi Gras 2023 merchandise arrives at Universal Studios Florida featuring the King Gator, aka"King of the Bayou", Mythical Creatures, and more! @UniversalORL

Reactions: SeventyOne
So the rumor of the speakeasy was correct, just part of the Tribute Store!

People will love the password...

Now located in the Hollywood section of Universal Studios Florida, guests can stock up on the latest Mardi Gras 2023 merchandise and goodies.

Reactions: SeventyOne
It definitely defied my expectations when it came to making the most out of the space they had to work with.

Obviously, the real stress test will be how that store operates come September.

Reactions: ReelJustice
Mardi Gras ‘23 > Art Festival, HHN, etc. Great food with comparatively good portion sizes. UO just needs to get some organized queues set up and they’re in for a great event this year. The Spain booth in particular is bomb.

Mardi Gras ‘23 > Art Festival, HHN, etc. Great food with comparatively good portion sizes. UO just needs to get some organized queues set up and they’re in for a great event this year. The Spain booth in particular is bomb.

I was just looking at photos of the food and was kinda astonished with the quality and portions. It seems fantastic. Touring Plans' Chrissy is there today so I'm excited to hear her opinions.

I was just looking at photos of the food and was kinda astonished with the quality and portions. It seems fantastic. Touring Plans' Chrissy is there today so I'm excited to hear her opinions.
It’s a welcome departure from the pseudo-fine dining Epcot’s been rolling with lately. If I’m gonna eat street food on top of a trash can or on the side of a curb, I’d prefer the stuff Universal’s rolling out vs pretending I’m impressed by kiosk escargot haha