Alita: Battle Angel sequel(s)? | Inside Universal Forums

Alita: Battle Angel sequel(s)?

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Nick

Staff
Sep 22, 2011
Orlando
James Cameron (and his co-producer Jon Landau) have long talked about doing a sequel to Alita: Battle Angel (which Cameron only produced, Robert Rodriguez directed). In a recent interview, he said the following in response to why he is selling his coastal ranch in California:

"On Avatar, I'm working in Wellington and Los Angeles," he said. "And on the new Alita: Battle Angel films, I'll be working in Austin, so it just didn't make sense for us anymore."

Now I highly doubt Cameron would move to the directors chair for a sequel as Austin is where Robert Rodriguez lives. Alita: Battle Angel was a 20th Century Fox Production, so this could be Disney doing him a favor in return for everything he's doing with Avatar. Alita made $405M worldwide which is good for a lower budget film, but for a film that has the budget that Alita: BA did, it was a money-loser, although it does have a loyal fanbase. I also do think that we've come quite a ways in this type of technology since Alita: BA came out so perhaps she wouldn't look so uncanny in a potential sequel?

Reactions: Grabnar
Everything in the way Alita is shot is weird because its live action segments are cut together like a Robert Rodriguez film, but so many other scenes feel like they were specifically shaped or storyboarded by Cameron. Like whenever two people in a room are talking, its lifeless and efficient Rodriguez coverage, but then when motorball and the subsequent rooftop chase happen you're watching the coolest thing you've ever seen.

Anyway, Alita owns.

Hopefully some of the resurgence of interest around Cameron will help this movie succeed. All you need is for James to make some wild but true claims on the red carpet and you're golden.